The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    The "not to" part is trickier, lol! I am sometimes surprised to find out that my horse has more "eject" buttons that you might suspect, just looking at him.
    haha- absolutely! My guy was/is that unfortunate combination of extremely sensitive yet incredibly stubborn and pig-headed. But if you find that magic sweet spot? Brilliance.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

I love to train for hunters, my hunter trainer used to work at the track, and is very insightful with understanding the ottb. Unfortunately for me, she has grown her barn up from local hunters to out of state A hunter horseshowing. I love her program and all, she is one of the good ones, but I can't justify the money for these showcations that are a way of life in hunters. I can take my entire family for a dream caribbean diving vacation as opposed to a week long show for me and my horse that is nowhere as fun, and excludes half my family.

I won't give up the hunter training, but I also enjoy dressage and cross country training with my horses.

Hi TB1201 Peter misses you!!!! I have to admit that even though I miss H/J land my move to the eventing barn has been a blessing. P is happier than ever and so am I. He is benefiting from a strong dressage program and galloping in the fields jumping logs.

All of the people at the barn welcomed us with open arms. It is refreshing to see the riders doing the work and our "coach" helping us when needed. I doubt I will ever return the H/J land... I am a convert!

Hi K! I miss you and Peter and Cookie as well. Glennie will live out her life at the H/J barn. She couldn't get better care and she's happy in retirement. (And she turned 21 this year. She's legal!) And I love the people there. But I'm definately done. Check out my facebook page, you'll see what I'm up to.

Glad you and Petey are enjoying your new career. I'm pretty impressed with the local eventing barns. There are some pretty stylish horses and riders eventing now, and the they have the best equitation and horsemanship.

Where are you at now? I'd love to come see you and give Peter a carrot.

I noticed that you are dabbling in a very interesting riding type... Those horses are beautiful!

We are at Polestar http://polestarfarm.com/

Would love for you to come out and see the place... It is AMAZING! I am riding in a clinic on the 12th and 13th if you want to come out. I miss you all very much. The move was a tough one and still makes me sad, but I had to do it for Peter. You are welcome to come out anytime!!! I am sure my Mom would love to see you too. Tell Maureen hi and please give Queen Glennie a carrot or two from both of us

K, I'm going to text you my email. Send me yours and we'll trade more details.

I've thought a lot about the myriad of issues in H/Jland, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem stems from the sheer number of A shows, and the length of the season (aka all year).

As the number of shows increased, so did the number of divisions offered at the shows. This is because BNTs no longer have the free weekends in between Big Shows to take little Susie Q on St. Pony to little shows to get experience. BNT now has the choice of eliminating Susie Q from her program, taking weekends off the A circuit to take little Susie Q to a show at an appropriate level, or simply taking her to the Big Shows and letting her show there. Of course BNT isn't going to kick Susie Q out because she's the future of BNT's program; maybe in a few years she'll be an amazing pony jock or Big Eq star, and deserving of those Big Shows! The BNT also won't be inclined to chose taking Susie Q to a little show when she has a ton of other clients currently supporting her business who have progressed beyond the little shows and want to go to the Big Show. So Big Shows learn there's a demand for a division and they begin offering it, and BNTs start to bring Susie Qs to A shows. Most of the time it isn't Mom and Dad, because Mom and Dad typically aren't horsey and didn't know the difference until BNT explained it to them.

Before, when there were fewer A shows, more people could save up and attend so the divisions could be bigger. But how do you make more money now that there are so many more shows for people to aim for, and you've out priced a good portion of your target audience? Simple, you add divisions. The divisions used to be restrictive enough that there was very minimal cross entering. You certainly can't show a small pony in the Reg Workings! Sure, you had Green or Reg Working horses that doubled as A/O or Jr mounts, but for the most part you had your division or two and then you were done. With prices rising and more shows to choose from, the group of people who used to fill the division at all the shows are either out priced, or now must pick and choose which shows to go to, ultimately meaning smaller classes at the shows. Now here's where the addition of divisions comes in. When shows add divisions which can be (and many times are purposely created for) cross entered, that means that they can get twice(or 3x, or 4x, etc) the amount of money out of the same horse.

We have mass produced shows. This is what has cheapened our sport.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    Amen. Beautifully stated.

As I said, it's a business model - neither good nor bad.

But personally, as I said in the original post, I'm priced out. I couldn't compete anymore if I wanted to. Therefore, I have a choice - stay or go. I've chosen to go.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hunter/jumpers may not appeal to everyone and that's fine, but wouldn't it be nice to hear someone say "I don't like (insert complaint about h/j here) so I'm joining a comittee/task force/local organization to try to make a change for the better".

I love our sport. It's certainly not perfect and there are some major areas that need work (many are the same as those reasons you listed) but that's why I joined a USHJA committee as well as working with local organizations. If all the good horsemen threw in the towel and quit we would have no one to shape our discipline for future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    Hunter/jumpers may not appeal to everyone and that's fine, but wouldn't it be nice to hear someone say "I don't like (insert complaint about h/j here) so I'm joining a comittee/task force/local organization to try to make a change for the better".

I love our sport. It's certainly not perfect and there are some major areas that need work (many are the same as those reasons you listed) but that's why I joined a USHJA committee as well as working with local organizations. If all the good horsemen threw in the towel and quit we would have no one to shape our discipline for future generations.

True. Very true. And in spite of all, I truly love watching the hunters - I always will. And I've volunteered tons in the local association, shows, and within the riding community. And I'm burned out.

Hopefully there will be others who read your post and do just what you propose, before they are too burned out.

It's not that I've drifted away from USEF -- USEF has drifted away from me. I just can't afford it any more. My circumstances stayed the same, even improved some but the shows have gotten a lot more expensive.

The Hunter Derbies look really fun but the ENTRY FEES!!! No way am I going to be able to afford to play in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
    True. Very true. And in spite of all, I truly love watching the hunters - I always will. And I've volunteered tons in the local association, shows, and within the riding community. And I'm burned out.

Hopefully there will be others who read your post and do just what you propose, before they are too burned out.
    I think burn out is natural (for both horse and rider) and will happen with any sport/discipline over time. Trying something new will always give you a new perspective and hopefully you might find yourself coming back to the sport with fresh ideas or at least more enthusiasm to get back to the ol' grind!

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    I've thought a lot about the myriad of issues in H/Jland, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem stems from the sheer number of A shows, and the length of the season (aka all year).

As the number of shows increased, so did the number of divisions offered at the shows. This is because BNTs no longer have the free weekends in between Big Shows to take little Susie Q on St. Pony to little shows to get experience. BNT now has the choice of eliminating Susie Q from her program, taking weekends off the A circuit to take little Susie Q to a show at an appropriate level, or simply taking her to the Big Shows and letting her show there. Of course BNT isn't going to kick Susie Q out because she's the future of BNT's program; maybe in a few years she'll be an amazing pony jock or Big Eq star, and deserving of those Big Shows! The BNT also won't be inclined to chose taking Susie Q to a little show when she has a ton of other clients currently supporting her business who have progressed beyond the little shows and want to go to the Big Show. So Big Shows learn there's a demand for a division and they begin offering it, and BNTs start to bring Susie Qs to A shows. Most of the time it isn't Mom and Dad, because Mom and Dad typically aren't horsey and didn't know the difference until BNT explained it to them.

Before, when there were fewer A shows, more people could save up and attend so the divisions could be bigger. But how do you make more money now that there are so many more shows for people to aim for, and you've out priced a good portion of your target audience? Simple, you add divisions. The divisions used to be restrictive enough that there was very minimal cross entering. You certainly can't show a small pony in the Reg Workings! Sure, you had Green or Reg Working horses that doubled as A/O or Jr mounts, but for the most part you had your division or two and then you were done. With prices rising and more shows to choose from, the group of people who used to fill the division at all the shows are either out priced, or now must pick and choose which shows to go to, ultimately meaning smaller classes at the shows. Now here's where the addition of divisions comes in. When shows add divisions which can be (and many times are purposely created for) cross entered, that means that they can get twice(or 3x, or 4x, etc) the amount of money out of the same horse.

Very well said.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

So there's lots of fun to be had over here on The Dark Side--the eventers have cookies, foxhunters port in little silver cups, the reiners have BBQ, the endurance crowd like their Gatorade and we gaited folk have Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey!

Pick your flavor . . . more to horses than steppin' over sticks!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    So there's lots of fun to be had over here on The Dark Side--the eventers have cookies, foxhunters port in little silver cups, the reiners have BBQ, the endurance crowd like their Gatorade and we gaited folk have Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey!

LOL! Oh yes. I learned to drive years ago when the barn my H/J trainer was at had a Morgan trainer stabled on the other side. It was a blast. Driving her Morgan Stallion at a Road Gait was almost like flying. I don't think he ever touched ground!

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post

I hear ya. But horses are not my business. They are my hobby. If showing stops being fun and I encounter enough people associated with the h/j industry that are unethical, money grubbing a-holes...well, I'll just go somewhere else and spend my money doing things I like. At the end of the day, it is going to be up to the do-good professionals in the industry to clean up the mess so that people like me might want to and/or be able to show again and fund the industry that you make your living in.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I hear ya. But horses are not my business. They are my hobby. If showing stops being fun and I encounter enough people associated with the h/j industry that are unethical, money grubbing a-holes...well, I'll just go somewhere else and spend my money doing things I like. At the end of the day, it is going to be up to the do-good professionals in the industry to clean up the mess so that people like me might want to and/or be able to show again and fund the industry that you make your living in.
    It is a problem. There is a whole group feeling disnfranchised, and quietly leaving. As I said, I am clearly priced out these days, and it isn't like I don't make a decent salary.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post

True true.

I went from endurance and arabians, to riding gaited on a Rocky Mt on trails only.

I got burned out in endurance. Also after a long long string of geldings, I have a mare. I really prefer mares much better.

Now I am having a fun time riding gaited and a totally different breed. She is the black one with the red pack.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSCF4242.jpg

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCF4217.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
    It is a problem. There is a whole group feeling disnfranchised, and quietly leaving. As I said, I am clearly priced out these days, and it isn't like I don't make a decent salary.
    Not only in the h/j show world that this is happening.... I live in Los Angeles and have lived here for over 40 years. The horses that once were around are gone and replaced by crowds of people. The fields and horse show grounds have been replaced with condos. This has affected the industry immensely.

Change is inevitable and there are only a few things that can be done about it. Fight against it, live with it or leave.

I am definitely looking forward to leaving the crowed city that LA has become when the time is right for my family.

There have been times I have fought and times where I have left; and currently I am living with it.

I understand OP and time comes when I question what I am spending to "try" to participate. We all have different goals in life and what makes us happy.... and we must press on regardless of the obstacles in the way. Good luck in your adventures.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I have nothing in common with H/J but totally understand your feelings. I see some of the same on the Morgan show circuit. Right now they are flocking to OKC to spend thousands of $$$ for a go round or two.

I will never go there. I am a back yarder with a really nice horse. I show on the A circuit but I go for fun do it on the cheap. For me it's about the horse and my relationship with him.

I'm glad you're finding a different way to enjoy these wonderful animals. People tend to be stinkers but the horses are magnificent!