The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Default Having a heck of a time trying to sell my saddle...

I've been trying to sell my average-sized, well taken care of, not super old fits-lotsa-horses type high end saddle for a little while now and am having absolutely no luck.

I've got it listed for cheaper than any other identical or comparable saddle that I've found on eBay, Kijiji or consignment sites, and I still haven't even had a bite!

I'm really not keen on going the consignment route, as in past first-hand experiences, that isn't a very efficient process and I'm not really wanting to give up 25-30% of the sale price...yet.

So my question is, where's the best place to list saddles for sale without a consignment fee? I'm in Western Canada and am a very accomodating seller - I take PayPal, I'll ship, etc.

List it on Ebay, I believe they take 15%.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    List it on Ebay, I believe they take 15%.
    Tried that - apparently my account doesn't qualify for a listing amount high enough for said saddle. I'm only able to list <$1000 as of right now and changing that appears to be a lengthy process...

When I was selling, I was going to consign with iselltack.com. Her commission is 15% which is comparable to eBay's take after fees and Paypal. I sold my saddle through horseclicks.com before I was able to send it to Rachel, but I would not hesitate to sell through her.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    Tried that - apparently my account doesn't qualify for a listing amount high enough for said saddle. I'm only able to list <$1000 as of right now and changing that appears to be a lengthy process...
    Really? Since when does eBay do that? (Not that I'm doubting you at all... eBay is always changing their policies, it seems!)

Do you have a friend who could list it on eBay for you?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Really? Since when does eBay do that? (Not that I'm doubting you at all... eBay is always changing their policies, it seems!)

Do you have a friend who could list it on eBay for you?
    It must be pretty recently, as I was able to sell a saddle that was >$1000 not that long ago on there. I was a bit miffed. I have a good eBay rating and haven't had any disputes or claims against me, so it's not that. Must be a new policy.

I just sold a decent saddle at the local tack shop: we worked out a good mutually beneficial agreement, where I agreed to take part of the sales amount as a credit on account at the store, so arranged a lower commission...and the commission was a set dollar amount rather than a percent (I just said I want "X", you can keep the rest). Sold within the month. May be worth discussing with your local tack shop.

I also recently found a saddle for a student on Kijiji. The seller let us take it on a weeks (prepaid) trial, which is the only way I would buy a mid to high end saddle...so put that in the ad if you are ok with a trial.

Advertising at local shows, and being willing to meet potential buyers at that show might also help sell it.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

saddlesource.com

Lots of traffic, sells quickly & probably for a high enough price to get you your original after their commission.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    I had to do that recently. It wasnt too bad....I used the call back feature and once they called me back (took about 15 minutes but better than being on hold) i had my selling limit increased. Had to answer some security questions but that was it. The actualy phone call probably lasted about 10 minutes.

Where in Western Canada are you...? I've sold a couple of high end saddles through tack stores very quickly in the Fraser Valley...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I agree with Rachel at iselltack.com. takes less commission than most other consignors and really does legwork to get your saddle out and tried/fitted with clients. She sold my saddle in 3 days and has another saddle of mine and has been great to work with.

Facebook. Look for Tack Trader/Tack For Sale pages in your area (or nationwide since you're willing to ship). I've sold a lot of tack that way- no commissions!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I had a nice saddle on the market for months a few years ago, and finally consigned it because I needed it gone (needed the space/cash for another saddle). I worked with Pinnacle Horseware in Colorado and they were great, my saddle sold very quickly. I've also sold tack through Premier Tack Outlet, and have nothing but good things to say about that company as well.

If you give up on trying to sell on your own, these are the people I would talk to.

Can I 3rd iselltack.com, Rachel is great!

Just contact eBay about your monthly selling limits. They changed my limit for me without any issues in about 5 minutes over the phone. Well worth it, very simple.

I second searching in Facebook for a local or statewide "tack resale/horse sales group"; sold most of my tack through it lately.

Facebook: English Tack Trader is an excellent group to sell on.... also if you are looking to consign I had a great experience with Rachel at iselltack.com

If what you've tried isn't working, I'd recommend consigning with either myself or with Rachel at iselltack.com.... generally speaking, we both take much less $$ off the sale price and work much harder to market the saddle then your local tack store would. If you're set on selling yourself and haven't gotten any bites on your ads, time to ask why? It seems like you've done your research on pricing... what about photos? Is the saddle clean and the photos decent quality? Do you provide all needed measurements (gullet width, tree size, seat size, etc.)? Do you have a thorough description of condition?
    Good luck! Selling saddles can be quite challenging!
    Last edited by JSjumper; Jul. 8, 2013 at 05:10 PM.