The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Ugh.
    I had a similar problem with an Ebay seller back about 3 years ago. I sold a breastplate/martingale and the buyer claimed it was broken. I was forced to take the return and lose shipping money. Of course, the breastplate was NOT broken (I am guessing it did not fit their horse well enough). Even the photos to prove it did not put Ebay in my favor. I don't list equipment for sale on Ebay anymore.

I sure hope that your story ends on a more positive note!!!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

1. I think you are right and the buyer was unhappy the saddle did not fit.

2. I don't think you can say that County screwed you if you rode in the saddle for a year. I might have mis-understood that you rode in it for a year, but I've had horses change shapes in as little as 4 weeks. The horse sometimes changes shapes and it is not the saddle fitter's fault, nor is it the maker's fault.

3. One of the hardest things to do when I learned to fit and flock saddles was to cut an additional flocking hole, somewhere under the billets.

4. I don't think that a flocking hole does anything to the value of the saddle, unless it was done very poorly.

5. I still think you are getting screwed by the buyer/eBay if you end up having to refund the month.

Originally Posted by NeverTime

I've worked with several County reps over the years and NEVER met one who looked favorably on people either buying or selling their saddles online/on eBay (I had one who I'd worked with before but flat wouldn't help me with fit issues on a privately-purchased County b/c it didn't come from him; that he would be paid for his time didn't seem to matter). They like to do the buying and selling themselves, so there's a chance that estimate is a bit overblown to send you a "serves you right" message.
    My County rep has gladly reflocked both County saddles which I purchased privately, did, in fact, suggest (rather insistently ) that I purchase the (privately owned) used saddle as it fit very well.
    Both saddles (one an 86, the other an 07) had the "usual" slits & any adjusting was done with the rod & the pre-existing slits.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    My experience is the same (County reps are bigtime dismissive of any saddle, even a County, that they didn't sell you) and given that they TOO cut slits to flock-- I find it hard to believe it devalues the saddles (at least in their estimation!).
    When looking for a "new" used saddle this year, my rep was very supportive of the process.
    Head Office was also very helpful & answered any questions I had about saddles (I found online) within 24h.

Alto, VXF & I live in the same area of the country, so perhaps we've dealt with the same rep(s) who are less cooperative than yours. Then again, I've lived elsewhere and had similar experiences. Glad to know it's not all of them.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I dealt with the old NJ rep, the new NJ rep and have in the past dealt with the PA and GA reps.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I should clarify that those reps weren't against getting a demo/used if I bought through them (commission) and the PA rep did call HQ to get a list of demos for me. They were dismissive of any saddle I found on my own and did not want to work on one, even a County, even if paid for their work-- unless they'd sold it to me.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Any update on how this turned out?

I have had a lot of issues selling saddles on eBay and try to avoid it unless totally desperate to unload one.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I just got an email saying that I have to refund her because I didn't file an incident report. I did file one and it takes up to 2 weeks to get a hard copy. Ebay has issues. I am going to email them back and say that I couldn't give them one because the Police said it would take 1-2 weeks for it to show up. Of course they didn't call the officer that I talked to. This is the crap of a message they sent me!

I’m writing you today regarding the Saddle (eBay Item #: 140852525069) that you recently sold on our site. I understand that the buyer had opened a case because of defects. . Allow me to explain the current status of your case.

As you may have noticed, your case has been closed and a full refund has been issued to your buyer due to the following reason(s):

-- You did not provide the documentation that we requested

On 10/17/2012 we asked you to provide photos as well as an incident report. We advised you that the requested information was due no later than 10/22/2012. As we have not yet received the incident report, the case has been closed and cannot be re-opened.

So sorry OP- I too learned the hard way to NEVER SELL ON EBAY, OR USE PAYPAL AS A SELLER EVER AGAIN!

They can, and will screw you over - I closed out my PayPal account before they could take my money back - and give it to the buyer who had their merchandise.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

I am really sorry you are going through this. My blood pressure would be through the roof by now.

Call eBay/Paypal and escalate this up the food chain. You can email too but I would do what it takes to call in and make sure you speak to a supervisor.

I only once filed a claim with Paypal (I was scammed) and their automated responses were infuriating. Once I managed to speak to a real person and then to their manager I got it squared away pretty quickly.

I have sold many saddles on eBay but the system has changed now so that all the power is with the buyer and the seller is left out to dry. After reading about your experience I might not sell there again .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I took my credit cards off of my ebay/paypal account so they can't directly take money out of my bank accounts. I called customer service and told them I demand talking to an actual case manager and I want a phone number and a full name. I told them that we will not refund the money because I would like to talk to someone and I have the right to do that since they are claiming that I didn't give them everything they needed. Apparently someone is supposed to call me. I will escalate this as far as I need to go because I am not paying this person back.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wish you the very best of luck with it.

If you have a friend that's a lawyer sometimes a letter sent on legal stationary can make an impact, too.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Holy cow! OP this is horrible, I'm so sorry for what eBay is putting you through. I sincerely hope this gets resolved in your favor. What a freaking hassle!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    If you used paypal and they file a complaint you will pretty much not have a choice but to return her funds.

I wish you luck.
    Not necessarily true. PayPal did not refund a complaint made by someone who purchased through the Tack Market on EBay (majority of tack sold on EBay is Tack Market). She had a legitimate complaint but because she received an identical replacement (right down to the real defect), they would not refund.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

MorganJumper- I've been following this thread, and I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I am REALLY sorry your going through this. ((HUGS))

And, thank you for posting about this, I for one, will NEVER sell a saddle on EBAY. Serious PSA.

You have the saddle back in your possession.

You have testimony from a saddle fitter here that the holes will not affect the value.

You could turn around and sell the saddle for what you sold it for in the first place.

Granted the way the whole deal went down is unfortunate, but besides your time and the aggravation, what have you really lost here?

Can you really justify keeping that person's money?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    You have testimony from a saddle fitter here that the holes will not affect the value.
    I'm not sure exactly how that's supposed to fly...
    "Well, the person online who said they were a saddle fitter told me that those holes just go with the territory..."???

Bottom line. She sold a saddle as final sale. The buyer took the saddle, permanently altered it trying to make it fit her horse, and now claims that it is defective. Why should the seller take back a damaged item?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TotB View Post
    I hate to say it, but every County saddle fitter that I have ever used has slit the saddle in that spot with a pen knife to reflock. Every one of my County saddles looks like that. Saying that, I would not be ok with someone who did not own the saddle having new flocking holes added.

I hope you find a good resolution to your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    My county saddle fitter always used a metal rod to stuff it. It was never cut into. She told me to never get it cut because it does change the integrity of the saddle.
    Explain how you get flocking into or out of a saddle without slits in the panels.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    My experience is the same (County reps are bigtime dismissive of any saddle, even a County, that they didn't sell you) and given that they TOO cut slits to flock-- I find it hard to believe it devalues the saddles (at least in their estimation!).
    It isn't just some random Internet saddle fitter, it's people with County experience.

I am just saying that if the OP has the saddle back in her possession, and if she could get $2600 for it if she re-listed it or consigned it, then maybe it's not fair to keep the buyer's money.

Some of you here are saying she should not take it back. But she already did.

OP, this all sounds like a really bad experience, but honestly, you think that saddle is now worthless?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Sorry to hear that happened, but honestly it was always gong to happen. That is how ebay works now. They will seize the money from your accounts whether you deleted the info or not. They keep it saved, and you agreed to let them take it (in the fine print). If you closed all your credit and bank accounts that had ever been linked to the paypal account before they seize the money you will be sued, taken to collections, and have your credit rating ruined. Just give them the money, re-sell the saddle and move on. I've sold over 35k worth of stuff in my ebay store over the last ten years. in that time I have found it is better to just accept returns. If you had not made the saddle final sale with no returns, the buyer would most likely have returned it WITHOUT trying to have the flocking adjusted when they saw it didn't fit. Then you would have an undamaged item to sell again easily. No returns means nothing on ebay, or anytime you take paypal- and can bite you like it did this time, by making your buyer angry.