The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I am going to ask for pictures of the so called defects with measurements verifying it. Also, If it is true, I have no problem taking it back and telling county because it is under warranty. I just don't believe she is being truthful because she didn't have a county rep look at it and she didn't say one block is 2.68 inches and the other is 2.89 inches. She is just saying one is bigger than the other. And the whole saddle cord thing..If she wanted to prove it she would have sent a pic to me. She has my email...

Oh.... And do you still have pictures of the saddle? At least, you could still have some proof that the saddle was in correct condition when you had it in your hands.

Thats why I always take pictures before I ship something out. Maybe your County rep can put something in writing for you just in case. Maybe her legs are different lengths, I cant believe one flap is more forward than the other.

Long time ebay power seller here:

It does not matter at all if you are right. You WILL be forced to accept a return and you WILL have to refund your buyer the full amount she paid, including original shipping. No returns is meaningless on ebay- if you take paypal- you take returns for ANY reason within 45 days of sale. Ebay phone reps are notorious for giving out bad info. Sorry, I know it sucks, but that is how ebay works now- has for several years.

Also, for the earlier poster who suggested to close the accounts, it takes 180 days to close your ebay account- made that way so that no one can do just that.

What folks are posting here is why i always sell saddles with trial period.. Because i would rather have control than ebay. Good luck op

Quote Originally Posted by shayaalliard View Post
    Long time ebay power seller here:

It does not matter at all if you are right. You WILL be forced to accept a return and you WILL have to refund your buyer the full amount she paid, including original shipping. No returns is meaningless on ebay- if you take paypal- you take returns for ANY reason within 45 days of sale. Ebay phone reps are notorious for giving out bad info. Sorry, I know it sucks, but that is how ebay works now- has for several years.

Also, for the earlier poster who suggested to close the accounts, it takes 180 days to close your ebay account- made that way so that no one can do just that.
    That alone makes me not want to do business on ebay anymore. What's the point of making it so difficult for the seller? A lot of things can happen in 45 days, particularly for a saddle. What is to prevent the buyer from riding in it for 45 days and then returning it if they happen to have a mishap that damages the saddle in some way before that 45 days is over?

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    That alone makes me not want to do business on ebay anymore. What's the point of making it so difficult for the seller? A lot of things can happen in 45 days, particularly for a saddle. What is to prevent the buyer from riding in it for 45 days and then returning it if they happen to have a mishap that damages the saddle in some way before that 45 days is over?
    Financially eBay profits more from buyers than sellers. Hence the pro-buyer policies.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Financially eBay profits more from buyers than sellers. Hence the pro-buyer policies.
    Though if sellers stopped selling on eBay or the amount of items available dropped significantly, then eBay would lose buyers too.

While I don't see that happening anytime soon, it's something a good business should keep in mind. You can't have buyers if the sellers aren't selling anything.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    Though if sellers stopped selling on eBay or the amount of items available dropped significantly, then eBay would lose buyers too.

While I don't see that happening anytime soon, it's something a good business should keep in mind. You can't have buyers if the sellers aren't selling anything.
    eBay has a lot of sellers in the screws and they know it. If you're a small mom and pop business or hobby seller, you don't have the time or capital to set up an easily used website to sell stuff. Let alone market the site. eBay knows it. They are the only game in town for most of their sellers. Not for buyers. As a buyer I can flit over to Smartpak or Dover or any other website. So they have to do something to keep me. The attraction is low prices, selection, and pro-buyer policies. Sucks but as a seller, they have you and they know it.
    ~Veronica

Not true. eBay gets no profits from buyers. Sellers pay all the fees/commissions. Their argument to me is that as sellers, we have to compete against the big box retailers, so the policies have to be much like those sellers. Doesn't matter if what you sell is nothing that a big box retailers would be able to provide.

Also a long-time eBay power seller here.

I also usually just take a return and be done with it. Only fought a couple of times and (knock on wood) have only lost once. Won four times. Had a couple of items over the summer that I was pretty sure that the buyer had damaged, but pretty impossible to prove whether it was shipper or buyer.
    I have taken to going the the shipping service and making a damage claim through them, which is a whole other kettle of fish. Have learned to never take their "we are not at fault" the first time and point out all the errors on their written denial. Have always gotten paid on the claim after that.

Regarding the PayPal issue, doesn't matter if you have already transferred funds out, they will just leave your balance negative and that will seriously hamper you as a seller if you use the account for shipping and such. And they'll come after you to get the balance zero again.

I am still wondering why, if a saddle cord is on the back of the cantle, why weren't we taught that in riding school? We learned all the parts of the saddle. I thought. I did look on ebay for saddle cords and found rolls of leather cord. But no instructions as to where it goes.

I've never sold on ebay. But I've bought tack there, and have not had a bad experience about tack. No fee is charged to me, as ebay gets the fees from the sellers. And I've bought saddles there.

I did not get one item (shoes, not horse related), period, and paypal gave me my money back. Another seller took an item off of ebay, and I did not realize it when I got the paypal charge, so I just ate the price of paddock boots. I did complain to ebay and paypal since the item was listed on there, and since I did ask the woman if she'd take a lower amy when relished, but I did not get any money back. I now carefully check to make sure that when I ask that the seller take a lower price, that the item is on ebay again, relished, and not just billed to me through paypal.

It's not fair to sellers or to buyers when scammers are on ebay. I do feel sorry for sellers who are so worried that, like yesterday when I got an ebay item, the seller sent a note saying just return it if I did not like it and he'd refund my money. I liked the time and gave him 5 stars.

But I don't want seller to feel that they must be afraid of us buyers. Ebay makes shopping so much easier and there are many great horse, and non-horse, items on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    Not true. eBay gets no profits from buyers. Sellers pay all the fees/commissions. Their argument to me is that as sellers, we have to compete against the big box retailers, so the policies have to be much like those sellers. Doesn't matter if what you sell is nothing that a big box retailers would be able to provide.

Also a long-time eBay power seller here.

I also usually just take a return and be done with it. Only fought a couple of times and (knock on wood) have only lost once. Won four times. Had a couple of items over the summer that I was pretty sure that the buyer had damaged, but pretty impossible to prove whether it was shipper or buyer.
    I have taken to going the the shipping service and making a damage claim through them, which is a whole other kettle of fish. Have learned to never take their "we are not at fault" the first time and point out all the errors on their written denial. Have always gotten paid on the claim after that.

Regarding the PayPal issue, doesn't matter if you have already transferred funds out, they will just leave your balance negative and that will seriously hamper you as a seller if you use the account for shipping and such. And they'll come after you to get the balance zero again.

eBay profits from transactions and those are drive by buyers. No buyers, no marketplace. They own PayPal and take a little bite out of every payment a buyer makes... and that's where they really profit (more so than their listing fees). But at any rate, right or wrong they have decided they need to coddle buyers to keep things going... and so they do.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    I am still wondering why, if a saddle cord is on the back of the cantle, why weren't we taught that in riding school? We learned all the parts of the saddle. I thought. I did look on ebay for saddle cords and found rolls of leather cord. But no instructions as to where it goes.
    Buyer has clarified she means the piping on the front of the padded flap.
    ~Veronica

yes, that makes sense. However, what is to prevent the buyer from using the saddle every day for the first 45 days, damaging it accidently and then claiming it is defective and using paypal/ebay's policy to force to seller for a full refund?

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    yes, that makes sense. However, what is to prevent the buyer from using the saddle every day for the first 45 days, damaging it accidently and then claiming it is defective and using paypal/ebay's policy to force to seller for a full refund?
    Very little. I didn't say I thought eBay's policies were perfect or fair. I'm just saying... they are what they are.
    ~Veronica

Be careful. You could ebd p having money refunded to her, and not getting your item back! Its happened to us.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

I kinda want to see this ended eBay item. There should be pics, and we could all see the two missing inches of trim (or saddle cord). Whadda'bout it, OP?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

@gold2012: that's terrible. Does ebay/paypal have any mechanism currently where the buyer is not refunded until the seller gets the item back?

Here is the ad. I have no problem sharing it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140852525069...84.m1562.l2649