The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Newbie Question....

I have a friend who is an Eventer and I would like to buy her some horsey gifts in her favorite colors. When eventing can one wear colors? Can my friend use a bridle in the colors she uses for her horse? (Say, neon green for example) A pad in the same color?

Or if I got her the bridle would it be a more of a hack around, training at home fun type of bridle...would she enjoy that?

I plan on getting her a halter to, but thought a bridle would be fun for her as well with matching reins.
    Chambermaid to....
    The Black Pearl (Lilly)
    Queen Anne's Revenge (Khione)
    My other hobby http://darkwingimages.instaproofs.com/store/

What a good friend you are! She can absolutely show her colors during the XC phase, so a saddle pad, galloping boots, or T-shirt is fine. The bridle is required to be leather or leather-like material, probably not an option in neon green.

A halter and lead line in her colors is a great idea, and you can even order custom crops in different colors too.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Would Biothane be a Leather like material? I know they have the kind that has a leather grain look to it.

Oooh a crop is a wonderful idea.
    Chambermaid to....
    The Black Pearl (Lilly)

From the rule book
    3. CROSS-COUNTRY TEST AND JUMPING TEST.
    a. The type of saddlery is optional with the exception of any form of blinkers,
    which are forbidden.
    b. Only unrestricted running martingales with rein stops or Irish martingales
    are allowed. Reins must be free of any loops or hand attachments and must be
    attached to the bit(s) or directly to the bridle. Exception: u-shaped bit converters may be used so that a bit designed for use with two reins may be controlled with a single rein. Gags or hackamores are allowed. In the interest of safety, the stirrup iron and stirrup leathers must hang free from the bar of the saddle and outside the flap. There must be no other restrictions or attachments of any kind.
    The only reference to leather or leather like material that I found is for the noseband in the dressage test.

I have definitely seen hot pink bio thane bridles on xc. Not my personal style, but certainly allowed.

Jennifer

The headstall and cavesson/noseband of the bridle must be made entirely of leather or leather-like material.
    You are correct OTTBs, this is from the Dressage section of the USEF rule book, not the Eventing section.

Still don't think I would order a custom neon green bridle though
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I am one of those who does not flash a lot of colors on xc. Call me conservative or... whatever. I also don't yell and hoop n holler...

So the colors that I use are helmet cover, shirt, and tape on xc boots. Saddle pad, breeches, etc. are all white, tan, or black. Now that I have students (!), I am encouraging the same for them but certainly understand how having lots of color etc. can be fun.

A nice belt in her cross country colours would be a nice gift, or gloves! Nice quality, refined, and still fun
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I'd not go so overboard on the loud colors ideas. Neon green is her color????

I hope not. Even the pinks and the bumble bee yellows and blacks that show up out there on xc day look amateurish.

A good quality bat, nice gloves ... some ice wraps ... a nice polo shirt if you really want to give her color.

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    I'd not go so overboard on the loud colors ideas. Neon green is her color????

I hope not. Even the pinks and the bumble bee yellows and blacks that show up out there on xc day look amateurish.

A good quality bat, nice gloves ... some ice wraps ... a nice polo shirt if you really want to give her color.

Eventing should be about having fun. And if you can have fun while wearing your favorite colors, all the more power to you. I dont believe ones' colors accurately depict someone's riding capabilities. I'm sure the many UL riders that have yellow, bright blue, and red will agree!! Maybe you can sit down with Bruce Davidson and tell him his yellow makes him look like an amateur!

OP I second the nice bat and a saddle pad idea. I know FLECK let's you custom a bat, and there's nothing like being entirely colorcoordinated!!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

There are some places that will do colored leather padding on an otherwise brown/black bridle. You might look into that. (I believe pinkequine.com is one of them?)
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

you could also do a garment or gear bag in your friends colors - those are handy and something she might not have already.. or depending on where you live - maybe a fleece vest or something - anything of these you could get monogrammed. Depending on what her colors are - sometimes getting a solid black or white shirt and then get "shadow" monogram in her colors looks really nice, classic.

I would not get any customized tack unless you are quite sure what size the horse uses - even if the horse is 16 hands, it could have a small refined head and in some brands could wear cob vs horse..

saddle pads are always fun too - and again, some places you can get them customized..maybe a dressage pad w/ trim and piping in her colors..and monomogrammed. l

I am on board with the dressage pad, the bat is a great idea. I am also going to get her some knee high socks in her colors. The polo or fleece vest are also great ideas, so is the bridle bag. I know I loved it when some friends pitched in and got me a great bridle bag (And a new bridle in it, but my friend gave me the horse as well)

Thank you for the help, I will scrape the bridle idea.
    Chambermaid to....
    The Black Pearl (Lilly)

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Maybe you can sit down with Bruce Davidson and tell him his yellow makes him look like an amateur!
    I knew that somebody had to go there Bruce in no way goes overboard, he wears a red (/yellow) shirt and a red striped helmet cover period plain white saddle pad, black horse boots, put the emphasis on overboard - you've seen them .... bright colored electrical tape on the colored boots going BN like they need tape, colored bell boots, fuzzies on the breastcollars, bright saddle pads that often don't compliment the horse's coat color, color everywhere - yes it is for fun. But good grief isn't this the place where the people invented the word aghasted ??

Sounds like the OP decided to go colored more appropriately.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    I knew that somebody had to go there Bruce in no way goes overboard, he wears a red (/yellow) shirt and a red striped helmet cover period plain white saddle pad, black horse boots, put the emphasis on overboard - you've seen them .... bright colored electrical tape on the colored boots going BN like they need tape, colored bell boots, fuzzies on the breastcollars, bright saddle pads that often don't compliment the horse's coat color, color everywhere - yes it is for fun. But good grief isn't this the place where the people invented the word aghasted ??

Sounds like the OP decided to go colored more appropriately.
    If it is for fun, then why does it matter to you? My colors are conservative (as you can see in my signature link), I just don't understand why people need to get stuck on someone else's colors. It's kind of like the fiasco over in the DR forum about "ratty t-shirts". If the only thing you can fault is their "overboard colors", you might not be in the right sport.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012