The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Savannah, GA/Hilton Head, SC Trainer/Barn Recommendations [X-Post Dressage]

I'll be moving to Savannah next month and bringing my horse down a few months after, and I'm at a total loss as what to do with him.

I don't know anyone in the area, and COTH and google searches aren't bringing up much. I've only had one barn get back in touch with me.

I'm wanting to event my TB, but I have limited experience and have been out of the saddle for quite a while now while he rehabs from an old injury. Thus, having a XC course, for example, is not a priority.

I'm just trying to find a nice barn where I won't have to worry about his care and a solid trainer (dressage focus) with a kind, quiet approach to help us along. (He's very sensitive.) Savannah appears to be h/j land.

I'm living in Pooler (just west of Savannah), and I'm willing to drive up to 45 minutes to get the care and training I'm looking for. As this time, cost is not much of a deciding factor.

Does anyone know of anything like I'm looking for in the Pooler/Richmond Hill/Savannah/Tybee Island, GA or Bluffton/Hilton Head, SC areas?

I'd also like to build a relationship with a trainer in Aiken as we're so close to eventing Mecca, and, as luck has it, the Army will be taking us to the area in a few years, so recommendations there are also appreciated. I'm looking for an Eric Dierks-esque style, for those of you familiar with him.

If you do facebook, join the "Savannah Area Eventers and Friends". Toni Nicholson has Lucerne Farm in South Guyton and she does boarding. Very nice and quiet private farm. I would recommend calling her. Also Dove Field Farm in Guyton does boarding. A girl there organizes clinicians from Aiken to do clinics there also. Echelon Sporthorses is also in Guyton, but they are mostly hunter/jumpers, but nice facility. Guyton is pretty close to Pooler.

Rhegan White is a great dressage trainer in our area. From England, a student of Conrad Schumacher for 10 years and has trained several horses to the Grand Priz level. We have Debbie Banfield living in our area also. She was an advanced level eventer and a A graduate of pony club. Missy Miller is in our area. An advanced level eventer that was a working student for William Fox-Pitt for 5 months. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I was going to suggest Toni
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Also Gini Quade of Above Standard Equestrian Center in Bluffton, SC. She has a lot of dressage background.

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!

Does anyone have experience with Cypress Grove Stables? It's only ten minutes away from where I'll be, but apparently they are moving at the beginning of this coming year, though I never received a reply about their new location.

Lucerne Farm looks to be only twenty minutes away as well. Awesome! Could someone PM me contact information for Toni?

You can email me at Lucernefarm@planters.net Would love to meet you. Address is 910 Kolic Helmey Rd.