The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default Sold a saddle on ebay: now she wants to return it because it has "defects"?

Last week I sold my county innovation on ebay and had a no return policy. I had it looked at by my rep 3 times in the last 6 months because it didn't fit my horse anymore. This woman is saying my saddle has defects and now wants to return it for a refund. (Saddle cord is damaged, one knee block is smaller than the other, and one flap is more forward than the other...)Not going to happen. It probably doesn't fit her horse and now wants to give it back. I have no idea what I am supposed to do. My rep told me that the saddle is fine. Has anybody dealt with something like this?

Does e bay have any guidence regarding returns due to defects? Did you specifically mention those defects in your bill of sale or on the ad? Do you think she is delusional and there is nothing wrong? Did she pay cash thru Pay Pal or a CC and what does Pay Pal advise in this kind of situation, if anything?

More information please.

In some states, buyer has a few days to return items for any reason. Have no idea how that applies to internet private party sales but since she has only had it less then a week? Maybe you should think about it depending on how your sales contract was worded. She can get her own expert to say there are defects and make life miserable for you.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

If you used paypal and they file a complaint you will pretty much not have a choice but to return her funds.

I wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    If you used paypal and they file a complaint you will pretty much not have a choice but to return her funds.

I wish you luck.
    That was my experience too. Might be best to just return it and avoid a long, drawn out fight you are likely to lose anyway since it has only been a week and she is claiming defect.

Pay Pal can, in some disputes, freeze those funds, they have your info. Plus you get trashed with negative reviews on e bay.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

I wish you luck.
    This is correct--in ebay or paypal "significantly not as described" disputes (now merged, so one and the same), the resolution is always return for a full refund.

Whether or not she has filed a claim yet, I would just accept the return and refund her. If you argue back she will get to return it anyway, but will be more tempted to leave you negative feedback or damage the saddle before returning it.

Ebay buyer protection is great for buyers but tough on sellers.

Good luck!

She has not filed a claim yet. Nothing in the ad said it had a defect or that there was anything wrong with it. The buyer protection basically just says if the item comes not as described then you are covered and you can get a refund. This lady says the saddle cord is defective. My saddle doesn't have one... It has a saddle plate but no cord. She said she had a previous county person look at it and said it was defective. Well my actual rep said its fine. There is nothing wrong with the saddle. It is covered by a warranty and has been looked at multiple times. I even had a rep come out in august before I listed it to make sure it was fine. The saddle is only 1 year old. I will call ebay and talk to them about it. Unless she has a county rep tell them it is actually defective then she has no proof. I already have the funds in my bank account so paypal can't freeze them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just accept the return and save yourself the hassle. As others have said, ebay will side with the buyer anyway.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Just accept the return and save yourself the hassle. As others have said, ebay will side with the buyer anyway.
    I won't just let her return it. I have no idea what shape it will be in when it comes back.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've heard stories of people who have been forced to give a refund and didn't receive their item back following a dispute. It may be in your best interest to have her return the saddle and just resell it.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    I won't just let her return it. I have no idea what shape it will be in when it comes back.
    You won't have any choice if she files a claim, ebay always sides with the buyer. Since they control paypal, they will take the funds out of your paypal account and give her a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    I've heard stories of people who have been forced to give a refund and didn't receive their item back following a dispute. It may be in your best interest to have her return the saddle and just resell it.
    This is just a mess. I will contact ebay now. I would rather talk to them before she does.

It's ebay and ebay's rules. You have to return it.

I'm sorry this is happening, but it is really in your best interest to take the return voluntarily, as if things get nasty you are risking your saddle.

She is going to return it, no way around it, so your goal at this point is just to get it back safely and in the same condition.

Stomping your feet will really do no good. If they seller says it is defective then it is defective in the eyes of Ebay/Paypal.

Listen, she can get a saddle expert on her end to support her side-the knee block and flap allegations.

It's like dueling expert witnesses in court. But, unlike court, you agree to e bays terms (in that fine print) when you put something on their site. And they say buyer is right-especially when they complain almost immediately on reciept of the item.

And, again, most states have laws that allow buyers to return anything within the first few days and she is probably within her state's period if you shipped it just a week ago. Whether it applies to internet sales between private parties I don't know but that general concept is also against you in refusing the return of an item in her possession for just a week or less.

Not having the funds in your Paypal wont matter. They will take the funds from your bank account if need be.
    Just take the saddle back. It'll sell to someone else.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

If there is no dispute, you may be able to close your ebay and paypal accounts and be safe, but they may also have a can't close those within so many days of last sale deal. You really have to read the fine print.

Ebay/paypal will side with buyer. If there are no funds in paypal, they can/will try to go after you through the bank or any future transactions.

ebay/paypal are not interested in fair, nor do they have a way to be fair, all "evidence" is hearsay; they are interested in business - people buying, way more then people selling it seems.

Good luck.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

What the heck is a saddle cord?

I'm assuming this was a pretty expensive purchase for buyer.

This ought to be fairly easy to resolve amicably without going through ebay or paypal if you are willing to seem determined to settle this in a reasonable and friendly manner.

Be calm, be kind, tell her that you are surprised that her former County rep found it deficient, since yours did not. That if it is, indeed, defective you'll take it back and refund her money. But you'd need an impartial third party to look at the saddle--one that you would both be willing to trust. But this is going to take some time and an examination of the saddle by a qualified saddle fitter..

Even if the saddle is far away from you, get in touch with County and see who their saddle fitter for that area is. If it's the person that she had look at the saddle, contact them directly and ask for their findings. And accept them. If there is a different rep, ask or tell buyer that you'll have the County person look at the saddle. Tell buyer that in either case, you'll accept what the County person says.

If there is no County rep around, then, together with buyer, search for a qualified saddle fitter that neither of you have any experience with and ask for a saddle examination by that person. If she's not trying to game a saddle that doesn't fit, she'll work with you.

If you seem willing to work with buyer and buyer doesn't cooperate, you will have ammunition if the buyer files a complaint.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    What the heck is a saddle cord?
    I was wondering the same thing?

I contacted ebay and they told me I have nothing to worry about. I gave her all of the saddle records and it is under warranty. I also have proof that the saddle doesn't have defects. Ebay said that since I have over 100 good ratings from buyers that they trust my business. So apparently I don't have to give her a refund and she can't file a claim. She also did agree to no returns so I guess I will be fine. I looked up a saddle cord online and couldn't find anything...

2 members found this post helpful.