The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sale Video Business?

OK, I realize I've had way too many threads about my various questions into business endeavors, but this one actually could happen.

Is there a 'market' for sale videos? I could film my own footage (I have an HD camera that can take up to a half hour of footage and am investing in a bigger SD card), if the barn was in a reasonable distance of course, or use the footage that they took, and make a video really showing off the horse. Does $20 sound like a fair rate for this? Would anyone actually be interested?

Thanks!
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Honestly I'm not sure, but I can definitely tell you what things I look for when browsing videos (I'm sort of a horse match maker, I've found horses for 3 girls at my barn that were all amazing matches). I feel like the video presentation tells a lot about the horse and getting it completely right is a challenge.

awks just realized that I deleted my list, now I have to type it out again...
    -No cheesy music. In fact, no music at all. I want to be able to hear the horse and I don't want to hear any bad comments or any telling the rider what to do if it can be considered a negative. It really turns me off a horse if there's comments like, "sit deep and woah" or "pull back" in the video, because it tells me that the horse is strong (not saying that a strong horse is bad, but if you want a very good video and really want to sell said horse, it's not a good thing to have on the video). The worst one I've ever heard was, "Yeah, she has a real touch on this horse. After his injury last year, she's been the only one able to ride it." However, music makes me feel as if the video maker is covering something up, like a roar or bad talk.
    - I want to see a show course first, if the horse has shown. If not, then I want to see a course/a few jumps with at least a diagonal line and a single and preferable a lead change (flying if the horse has flying, simple if they don't) both ways. Then I want to see a trot video both ways, a canter both ways with a change across the diagonal, then a sitting trot. I like to see the canter depart and the trot depart and also the horse's downward transition.

- Definitely want to see good turn out by both rider and horse. Want to see the rider in a helmet (just says reckless to me if they're not), polo, breeches and tall boots. If it's a pony that's not green, I want to see a kid on it of appropriate size. No 5'7" kids on 13.2 ponies. I don't care if it's a 4'6" adult, but I want to see someone the right size on it. Horse should be in white pad/half pad or a fitted pad or a white saddle pad (or navy or hunter, as long as it's not bright blue or anything).

-The video ideal starts like this: SHOW NAME (next line) BARN NAME (next line) height age breed (next line) sale price or lease price or inquire for price (skip a few lines) trainer or agent or owner name (skip a line) name of barn and address or email for contact

This should be a business. But I am quite sure that it will not be a real business, maybe a hobby business.
    Reasons? Everybody has a camera.
    Everybody thinks they know how to make a video.
    Everybody thinks their horse is a rock star.
    For years in the horse sales business I would ask for a tape of a horse I really liked. people would send unedited junk where a horse that I knew was a nice horse looked like dog doo. When i would tell them that there was no way I was going to send their junky tape to a buyer, I often offered to come and take a good video. It involved at least an hour of setting a course that showed horse to best advantage, dragging ring, etc. having an approprate rider ( ability and size) clean or clipped horse, maybe fake tail, etc.
    Nobody was willing to take the time to do it right or even pay to do it. So instead they send out trashy tapes from a horse show that they think are good because their horse won the class ( maybe with a 66...)
    As I said this should be a business but my guess is that it won't be profitable because everybody thinks they know it all. For the time it takes to really do a proper video, plus mileage,your time editing, etc you would lose money at $20 per tape.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

When I was in high school, I financed a few horse shows through my profits from creating videos for sale horses and of clinics/lessons.

Clinic/lessons are relatively easy to shoot. You will definitely need more HD cards/video time available. In my experience, clinics were the easiest to shoot. It is time consuming to video, but very easy to edit as shooting one rider per group requires virtually no editing, while videoing more than one rider per group simply requires selecting the clips. No fancy stuff, no editing for the best round or searching for that perfect clip of the trot as the rider wants to see it all.

Lessons were also pretty easy to do. Simply roll the camera for the duration, with minimal editing required.

Sale videos were my least favorite as the pressure is on to display the horse at his absolute best. This is hard to do as videographer/editor if the seller does not also understand how to present the horse properly. And some sellers are very adamant about including music in their videos, even if you suggest otherwise!

I tried briefly (before I moved for a work/school opportunity) to expand my videoing serviced beyond immediate barn friends and found that with the current easy availability of video cameras, most people are not interested in paying for a sale video because it seems from the outset like such an easy thing to put together.

Depending on your area, there may be a market in filming schooling show classes at reasonable prices with perhaps the option of condensing this material into a sale video should the horse owner desire. While my plans changed before I filmed any schooling shows, several schooling show organizers had spoken with me about filming and were very excited to be able to offer that service to their competitors at a price that was in line with their entry fees.

Do you have editing software? I like Final Cut Pro, but you have to have a Mac computer to use it. That's going to be a big chunk of cash putting you in a deficit before you even get started. I agree with another poster, $20 a pop isn't going to make any money.

This is a business I'd love to start because I have experience in film and I love editing. Love to see more responses. I have no idea what would be reasonable to charge.