The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Lillie Keenan No Stirrups Question

There's a photo here of Lillie Keenan going over a big jump with no stirrups, saying it was for the "test." I assume she did an entire course like that? Did her competitors also have to go stirrup-less?

I don't know much about that level of showing; can someone explain the "test" to me?

I am mightily impressed!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

She and Victoria Colvin were within two points of each other at the conclusion of the second round. The class requires a test in this situation so both were asked to remove their stirrups and enter the ring to test. For the first and second round she had stirrups (and rode beautifully, WOW)

Cool! Does a showdown like that always end in a no-stirrups round? Or are there other things the judges can ask for to determine first and second?

Edit: Is there a video of her ride somewhere? I would like to watch and drool.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Heck I wanna see the picture!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

For some equitation classes, the judge must call back a certain number of competitors for further testing, usually the top four riders. All the riders who come back are asked to perform the same course, which is comprised of tests from a list of 19 options in the rule book. The rule is EQ 114.

There are other things they can do in the testing round aside from no stirrups. Another common one is switching horses.

Quote Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
    Another common one is switching horses.
    I wouldn't say that's a "common" test. It's pretty rare to see it used anywhere other than a finals situation.

It can also be a combination of multiple tests from 1-19 in the rulebook. You often see things like this: "Canter directly from the line to fence 5, counter-canter fence 2, trot fence 9, hand gallop fence 10, return to the lineup in the sitting trot."

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    It can also be a combination of multiple tests from 1-19 in the rulebook. You often see things like this: "Canter directly from the line to fence 5, counter-canter fence 2, trot fence 9, hand gallop fence 10, return to the lineup in the sitting trot."
    That is pretty simmilar to what Lillie and Victoria had to do - except without stirrups! I saw both go and they were really really good - Lillie was just a bit smoother. I was pretty impressed at how little their positions changed riding the course without stirrups.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Heck I wanna see the picture!
    It is currently one of the rotating ones just to the right of post 1.---->>>
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    I was pretty impressed at how little their positions changed riding the course without stirrups.
    Safe to say those kids practice a bit.

Jenners - the photo should be directly to your right at the top of the page here. Otherwise, here's the link,.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_v...id=39057#39091

Again, if anyone can link to a video, that would be great!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I looked at all the photos and was considerably surprised at how many of the competitors never really released over jumps. I'm not talking about a following hand; I'm talking about a death grip on the head. It may look like a crest release, but there is really NO release.

But I do admit I have no idea what is considered good equitation these days.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I looked at all the photos and was considerably surprised at how many of the competitors never really released over jumps. I'm not talking about a following hand; I'm talking about a death grip on the head. It may look like a crest release, but there is really NO release.

But I do admit I have no idea what is considered good equitation these days.
    "Death grip" is quite dramatic as far as I'm concerned - and I watched the entire class. I did not see one horse who looked the least bit unhappy about the rider on its back.

These poor kids are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They give a generous release on their big-jumping hunters and get slammed for it, they give a more conservative release on their flat-jumping equitation horses and get slammed for it.

I was impressed with both Lillie Keenan and Victoria Colvin for their performances in the test. Apparently the judges were too, because if I remember correctly, their scores were a single point (or maybe less) apart. They are a real pleasure to watch. I wish I had a fraction of their talent.

Vineyridge, I'm curious: in which decade did you ride at the level that the kids in the class to which you are referring are riding, and do you have videos you could post so that we can all see how it SHOULD be done? Think about it - you could be the one who can save kids like Lillie Keenan and Victoria Colvin from ruining the world with their horrible riding. You'll be a HERO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Vineyridge, I'm curious: in which decade did you ride at the level that the kids in the class to which you are referring are riding, and do you have videos you could post so that we can all see how it SHOULD be done? Think about it - you could be the one who can save kids like Lillie Keenan and Victoria Colvin from ruining the world with their horrible riding. You'll be a HERO!!!!
    Hostility, much? I didn't take her comment as terribly disparaging, just passing commentary. I do agree that some of the releases pictured are hardly releases, but those such as Lillie released fairly, if conservatively.

Anyway, I think both Lillie's and Victoria's rounds were gorgeous. I would love to be able to look that good going around a course stirrupless.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    Hostility, much? I didn't take her comment as terribly disparaging, just passing commentary. I do agree that some of the releases pictured are hardly releases, but those such as Lillie released fairly, if conservatively.

Anyway, I think both Lillie's and Victoria's rounds were gorgeous. I would love to be able to look that good going around a course stirrupless.
    No, I'm not hostile; I just get so tired of the four billion threads/week about how bad hunter/equitation riders are today, when they all come from people who aren't able to provide evidence that they are doing/have ever done things the "right" way. If someone thinks those at the top of the discipline are doing everything wrong, that's fine, but that person should be prepared to provide evidence that he/she is in fact qualified to judge those at the top today, and can show all of us the RIGHT way to do it. Otherwise, why bother posting here?

I do realize that there is a lot to be improved upon, but I also understand that I am not a professional, I do not ride at the top level of the sport (and never will), and therefore I am not qualified to berate those who are in fact winning at the top levels for their shortcomings, whatever those might be. I prefer to watch those who ride better than I do and find things to learn from them.

I would love it if one of the resident dinosaurs on this forum would actually post videos of the perfect old days so we can all see what perfection looks like. Because, according to the dinosaurs here, we will never see it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Safe to say those kids practice a bit.
    For sure! I saw a post on Facebook from Lillie that said something along the lines of "you know it's finals season when you're black and blue from riding without stirrups"!

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    No, I'm not hostile; I just get so tired of the four billion threads/week about how bad hunter/equitation riders are today, when they all come from people who aren't able to provide evidence that they are doing/have ever done things the "right" way. If someone thinks those at the top of the discipline are doing everything wrong, that's fine, but that person should be prepared to provide evidence that he/she is in fact qualified to judge those at the top today, and can show all of us the RIGHT way to do it. Otherwise, why bother posting here?

I do realize that there is a lot to be improved upon, but I also understand that I am not a professional, I do not ride at the top level of the sport (and never will), and therefore I am not qualified to berate those who are in fact winning at the top levels for their shortcomings, whatever those might be. I prefer to watch those who ride better than I do and find things to learn from them.

I would love it if one of the resident dinosaurs on this forum would actually post videos of the perfect old days so we can all see what perfection looks like. Because, according to the dinosaurs here, we will never see it in person.
    Ahhhhh the good ole days: Where the jumps were solid and the horses/riders fearless.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1274327325
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki^ View Post
    Ahhhhh the good ole days: Where the jumps were solid and the horses/riders fearless.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1274327325
    This is certainly pretty but I asked for videos. Still pictures just don't tell the whole story, regardless of the decade.

Edited to add: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also don't think the picture linked above is of someone who regularly posts here complaining about how awful hunters/hunter riders/equitation riders are today, which was the point of my last two posts here.
    Last edited by ynl063w; Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: ETA: added text