The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Something Not Right

I was browsing Dreamhorse for ponies today ( have granddaughter that's getting interested) and came across this :http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1816438
    Please Mods, not advertising here. I know the Strain Family are horsedealers, and after googling this pony was surprised that she would have ended up there. She was imported, driven in preliminary level events, trained by Larry Poulin and even had her own blog. Something must be amiss. i don't know anything about driving, but this seems really out there. Anybody?

Wow, she is gorgeous.....

SLR - will ask around. Wondering why she is passported, unless she came with one. There is not the requirement in driving for passports at the lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    SLR - will ask around. Wondering why she is passported, unless she came with one. There is not the requirement in driving for passports at the lower levels.
    Have to have a passport to fly across the pond, wasn't she imported? but I may be wrong that she was imported.

I would get her, she is super cute, and you can see that she HATES not going round and correct when ridden by that kid. She wants to have a driver/rider that knows what they are doing.

She is tolerating the situation she is in.

Just my two cents on the pony... You say you want to get the pony for your granddaughter who is showing interest. but you don't mention she age or experience. Is she an experienced rider who wants to switch to driving? Or a newbie to riding and driving? Is she old enough to drive a strong pony even if she can ride lesson ponies. A strong driving pony can be intimidating to adult driving beginners. This pony looks like a blast to drive probably,... but why is there no videos of it driving in the DreamHorse ad if it has such a good history? did something happen to turn it off to driving? Do you want the pony for your granddaughter to show in the hunters and you to drive? The two don't mix very well, You want a steady eddie for the hunters and an up, on the bit, lively pony for showing in pleasure or cde. Both need a laid back, no spook pony but their way of going, their presence is very different I say all this with experience.. I bought three ponies in three years for my DD when she was little. It took three for me to figure out I needed one SS pony and one driving pony. (all three died of old age here, DD has had 30 years of horse showing so far in the hunters and I was successful driving one of the original three for over 20 years before I retired him and started another one.

Your granddaughter should be able to get one and ride the pony from the get go. Remember this is her insurance policy, her confidence builder, and it's for her.

Know SLR well, she is an experienced horsewoman whose son competed/competes at upper levels in eventing. I can guarantee you everything you have brought up she has already thought of and then some.

I wasn't impressed with the video. . .

Quote Originally Posted by blue phlox farm View Post
    Just my two cents on the pony... You say you want to get the pony for your granddaughter who is showing interest. but you don't mention she age or experience. Is she an experienced rider who wants to switch to driving? Or a newbie to riding and driving? Is she old enough to drive a strong pony even if she can ride lesson ponies. A strong driving pony can be intimidating to adult driving beginners. This pony looks like a blast to drive probably,... but why is there no videos of it driving in the DreamHorse ad if it has such a good history? did something happen to turn it off to driving? Do you want the pony for your granddaughter to show in the hunters and you to drive? The two don't mix very well, You want a steady eddie for the hunters and an up, on the bit, lively pony for showing in pleasure or cde. Both need a laid back, no spook pony but their way of going, their presence is very different I say all this with experience.. I bought three ponies in three years for my DD when she was little. It took three for me to figure out I needed one SS pony and one driving pony. (all three died of old age here, DD has had 30 years of horse showing so far in the hunters and I was successful driving one of the original three for over 20 years before I retired him and started another one.

Your granddaughter should be able to get one and ride the pony from the get go. Remember this is her insurance policy, her confidence builder, and it's for her.
    I never said I wanted to get that pony for my grandaughter. Certainly I agree with all your points, except the showing hunter stuff
    I am looking at ponies for amusement ( on internet sites) not bothering sellers. And happened to come across that one. I thought the price was odd given what the pony is/was and what it had done. Was sorry to see that it had been a combined driving pony, obviously much loved ( had its own blog) Wondered if it was another one who had fallen thru the cracks and ended up at the Strain's. That's all.
    Last edited by SLR; Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM.