The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Officials/Organizers: what is the FEI Level 1 Steward thingie?

OK got a concerned call from a friend on this, because evidently the USEF scheduled the test for the FEI Level 1 Steward at Dressage at Devon and there are so few signed up they are thinking of cancelling.

Evidently the FEI is going to require that volunteers be turning in a resume and attend these $250 two-day clinics and tests in order to continue in your capacity as a volunteer steward. What I cannot find is WHAT volunteer steward jobs this new FEI test/rule/clinic stuff applies to -- warmup? bit check? Area stewards for XC?

I did find the PDF about the steward application process, but the event one was scheduled for Poplar Farm in Sept., and then cancelled. The application says you do NOT have to be a current national level official.

If anyone can clarify this new thingie, please -- add to discussion -- I'm a volunteer warmup steward for a CCI and would like to know if I have to come up with $250 and a plane ticket/hotel room money to keep this gig.....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Retread..D.A.D is definately ON....the Poplar Farm is OFF

Wink

Just got a very prompt reply from USEA. They don't have anything to do with it....him
    Mmm.

Don't panic. Being a steward in warm-up is not being an FEI Steward. Through this year, the FEI required one licensed chief steward at a competition and allowed other volunteers to work under the chief steward's supervision doing barn checks, supervising warm-up, checking boots in show jumping, etc. Then in a typically FEI stroke of genius, they decided that as of 2013 all these "volunteer" FEI stewards would have to be licensed. Many events will continue to operate with only one FEI chief steward, but competitions such as Rolex, which this past April had ten or twelve volunteers will have find enough "licensed" stewards in 2013 to cover all the bases.
    So, you're not out of a job if you don't have an FEI level Steward's license, unless you want to be one of the FEI stewards. There will still be plenty of work for all.
    Malcolm

Your best bet is to call USEF and ask for the Lisensing Department.
    They can tell you which positions will require FEI Level 1 stewards.
    I only know about "Bit Check", you can Google USEF Level 1 Steward Lisensing and read the PDF.
    Once Lisensed some of the positions become paid unless you waive it. And yes there will be a shortage of people to do some of these positions until the testing program gets ramped up.
    Right now there are 2 Testings 1 @ D.A.D which is full and
    2nd in CA in October.
    This is across the board and covers every discipline under the FEI UMBRELLA.
    But don't take my word or anyone elses speculation, contact USEF so you get it right from the Horses Mouth so to speak.....

Thanks, Malcolm, and JudyRP.
    In the past I have worked under the FEI stewards' direction, we always have a chat before start and go over our mutual concerns, usually they check with me as to my rules knowledge and then reiterate what they want me to look for and what to do. I have several I've worked with multiple times and they and I know what we need to do -- generally speaking. I think part of knowing what to do is knowing when to call for help!

In reading through the FEI "stroke of genius" stuff on the Level 1 steward, actually looks like a nice thing and something that could be adapted for non-national people like me, with some experience doing some stewarding but not the time at the moment to do the national program to become a TD. The FEI paperwork allows for "experience" and evidently does not require a national stewards' license to participate. However I am told those with licenses already will be first in line. Stands to reason since the association has already invested in these individuals.

The Poplar clinic looks as though it has been cancelled for lack of interest. Hopefully another can be scheduled on this side of the country next year.

Retread while we heard rumbles it was a complete and total..out of the blue...for me and a very hurry up apply and given the opportunty I would lisense for Eventing just not Dressage. But not sure what I need to be prepared for beyond the obvious and the cost for each discipline held me back...next time I will go for eventing.
    One thing is they want to be assured of conistencey across the board, so each time the Job is preformed w/ the same level of professioanlism and accuracey as well as knowledge. With usuing volunteers not everyone was educated/trained to perfom a job in the same manner. This ensures competitors all are on the same level playing field from A-Z.
    How many times do we hear when we let a rider/trainer etc know they may have broken a rule...But @ so n so they didn't tell/catch me....

Prior to Rolex April 2013 is next eventing FEI level 1...and yup I am on board.
    Took the Dressage last week, really enjoyed the whole process and was grateful for the opportunity.(I did pass)
    Looks like depending on size of venue at least 3 Level 1 Stewards will be required.
    There were Level 2 Jumping and Driving Stewards attending the Level 1 Dressage.
    People came from as far as SanDiego CA and across the Mid West. This was the 2nd Dressage Testing stop w/ another before 2013.
    I am very sure eventing will be more technically difficult/challenging....

Wow. Thanks for the info, JBRP. so if the Rolex thingie is on, let us know when the signup occurs.
    I wish there was a bit more info on this in the eventing powers that be. Or maybe they are all operating under the assumption that only national level td's and judges that have already been licensed are ok?
    Evidently that is not the case....unless I am misunderstanding the FEI isn't going to give an automatic pass on the eventing stewards, just like the dressage stewards.
    Glad you did this one and now we all know a lot more.....I think I am going to plan on Rolex.
    I took it as a major SIGN that I got an email today about Rolex tickets!!!! Yeay!!!! Time to start figuring out our hotel rooms!!! And who is buying the tickets?