The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not getting a ribbon never tasted so sweet

SO, several months ago many of you offered kind words, advice, and support after I retired on XC at my very first attempt at training.

Last weekend I tried again at Jumpstart, and I just had to report and say that we did it!! I had a TON (10!) of time penalties XC, but I didn't wear the watch, and was not thinking at all of the time, just of actually RIDING to each fence. And guess what? Wonderful horsie carted me around with ears up and gleefully leapt over everything. After our attempt last time, I was worried a lot about the ditch (it had really pretty new wood) after our stop last time, but I followed my trainers advice and what do you know, it worked! I even had TWO cheering sections-- one with the owner of the horse (nicest lady in the history of the world) and friends, and another consisting of a few of the barn kids, and I can't even describe the feeling of hearing people cheer for me.

Stadium and dressage went really well too-- our dressage score was not the greatest, but it was our best test to date together. I only had one rail in stadium and am especially proud of an inside turn we made where I was able to hold the line and meet the jump straight.

We finished overall 13th in our division. I've never been so proud of NOT winning.

Sorry for the shameless brag/ squee/ gush, but my hubby is not horsey and I just had to somewhere!!!

Well done you! So glad you tried again.

Mega congrats. Fabulous gush.

Thumbs up

Good for you!
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Great job! I felt the same way about my rides, I got the big TE, and my dressage sucked, but I was secretly proud of the way I handled a very tense and spooky horse and got the test done. He was good XC and the SJ actually felt better. I'm as competitive as anyone else, but some show scores don't even begin to match up with the pride of overcoming obstacles or having a great ride.

Thanks guys!!
    Riderboy, I thought I saw you and gh a few times, but I was too shy to ask if it was you or not! (I know. silly me.) I just watched your helmet cam and it looked great! I was so worried about that ditch I almost forgot about the second element, but you rode that prelim line really smoothly!

My horse about lost his mind in stadium warm up. Someone crashed the oxer right as we were about to pass it on the rail, and poor horsie did NOT like that! And then of course you get nervous that your warm up is not going so well, and horse gets more worked up.... So kudos to you for getting through dressage! I didn't know the HP footing could be that bad-- when I was warming up I thought I'd never get him forward, it was so mucky. So congrats to you too!!

Good for you! Hope you decide to keep to it. =]

Quote Originally Posted by jumpsnake View Post
    Thanks guys!!
    Riderboy, I thought I saw you and gh a few times, but I was too shy to ask if it was you or not! (I know. silly me.) I just watched your helmet cam and it looked great! I was so worried about that ditch I almost forgot about the second element, but you rode that prelim line really smoothly!

My horse about lost his mind in stadium warm up. Someone crashed the oxer right as we were about to pass it on the rail, and poor horsie did NOT like that! And then of course you get nervous that your warm up is not going so well, and horse gets more worked up.... So kudos to you for getting through dressage! I didn't know the HP footing could be that bad-- when I was warming up I thought I'd never get him forward, it was so mucky. So congrats to you too!!
    You should never be shy about saying hi to me or Gryhrs! Congrats on surviving SJ warmup. It seemed busier than normal, they finally limited it to 10 riders on each end. Otherwise, it just was one kamikaze after another.

Congratulations!!! I think that's really the essence of the sport - coming BACK out and trying AGAIN at something that seemed insurmountable...and succeeding while getting cheers from the sidelines.
    I've had that experience too and it stays with you a long time. A deeply satisfying feeling of accomplishment -- and most of us can appreciate it!!!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

YAY!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Well done! I totally understand the feeling. I have had fabulous rides when I wasn't in the ribbons that I was thrilled with. Then I've had rides where I "got it done" but it was messy and got a ribbon. It wasn't very satisfying when I didn't feel good about my riding.

Congrats!!! So happy to hear of your success!!!

Good for you! One of the absolute hardest things to do is to get back on the proverbial horse. You really rocked it out!

After my debacle a couple of weeks ago on XC I almost didn't get back on for stadium. I was so disheartened and mad at myself (and embarrassed) that I thought "ah, screw it".

Then my inner "toughen up cupcake" side spoke up and said "hey, stupid, you made a mistake. Get over your self, saddle your horse, and go kick some stadium a*s".

It's nice to leave the venue with a smile, isn't it.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

YOU SO ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats -- we're rarely in the ribbons, but I am always thrilled to pieces with a day well-performed. I'm certainly not out there for the placings, I just love the journey, so I totally get it!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Whoohoo!!!! One of my favourite quotes originally from Baron Pierre de Coubertin, but most of us recognize it from International Velvet:“In life, the important thing is not the triumph, but the struggle. In other words, not to have conquered, but to have fought well.” Seems appropriate for this thread, good for you!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Congrats!! and bravo for trying again!

Congratulations! What I love about eventing is that there is a sense of accomplishment just in completing, in improving your dressage score, in jumping clean, or in just having a fun ride. There are so many measures of success that are quite independent of the final score or ribbon. So well done!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Thanks everyone!! I just knew the folks here would totally get it!

Our sport is just fantastic, on so many levels. I feel so lucky to have the ability to take part in it!

Well done