The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Repairing dents on a metal barn??

Does anyone have an idea of how to repair dents in a metal barn?
    We had a very bad hail storm this year in which it caused a bunch of dents in the metal, all which is cosmetic. The insurance gave me funds to have all the panels replaced but I hardly want to get brand new panels in which the horses regularly chew & kick at.
    So I would love to hear any DIY suggestions?

The reason the insurance gave you the money for all new panels is because it takes forever to flatten out dents plus it's really hard to make them look "never been dented". It's not cost effective.

For auto body repair where it's important to keep the original part, say for a restoration, they have assorted steel backers and you have to tap tap the dent down onto the backer. Or take the part off and work it on an anvil. Flat surfaces are hard to do. Curved are easier.

ETA google auto body dent repair and you'll see all the various methods that are out there, like pullers and etc..
    Last edited by ReSomething; Oct. 1, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: forgot about dent pullers. and bondo!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I was going to suggest an automotive vacuum dent puller also. Wouldn't work if your dents are on the ridges, of course, and they're better on large dents vs little dings, but cheap enough that it's worth a try. I've seen a tip to heat the repair area with a hair dryer to make it more flexible, but haven't tried that myself. I think it'd be easiest to just fill the dents with bondo (but you'll have to repaint those areas, so first make sure you have a *very* good color match or you're just replacing dents with spots. :-)
    If you're willing to remove the panels anyway, and assuming the dents are concentrated on one side of the bldg, how about rearranging the existing panels so you have all good ones on the main bldg face(s) that you see all the time. Group the dented ones on the back side and just resolve not to look at that side very closely.

Quote Originally Posted by jenbrin View Post
    Does anyone have an idea of how to repair dents in a metal barn?

So I would love to hear any DIY suggestions?
    For me, it would depend on how "cosmetic" you're talking about. If it's a bunch of 2" depressions, I'd pocket the money, do somethign useful with it (or throw a party or both) and greet the new normal.

Now, If it looks like the local baseball team used it for batting practice.....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

How about leaving the dents and installing wood siding over the metal? Then it won't dent during the next hail storm.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    How about leaving the dents and installing wood siding over the metal? Then it won't dent during the next hail storm.
    It might not dent but if the horses have access to the siding, they will chew on it for sure. Ask me how I know.....
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!