The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oh, learning the courses was hell, especially when fences were jumped both ways. I actually had to remind myself, "Reed, you did this all the time 20 years ago!" I kept looking for fence numbers but to no avail and to the great entertainment for the jumper riders. I must have come off as some whacky old man.

Oh, and since the division had already started, I wasn't able to walk the courses. I had to get my old jumper persona going fast! We never went off course, thankfully.

I hope Rien realized that had he gone clean on XC, we could have eliminated 22 additional fences for the day. But then again, these 42 fences were so worth it.

Maybe I should have ridden in the jumpers and THEN gone XC?

Here is a question, why couldn't a rider cross enter? This weekend I rode in completely different arenas with separate schooling areas? The shows were distinctly segregated in that way (e.g. the jumper ring was on the east side of the property and the horse trials rings were to the south west).

Really, they didn't have fence numbers in the jumpers? That is a requirement for jumpers, JP 122 in the rules. Hunters don't but jumpers should, never seen them without. Weird.

Reed, one more question...

Did you parade around the HT grounds wearing your SJ ribbons on your bridle?

Too bad they weren't money classes. Imagine if you went back to the HT with actual cash in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Here is a question, why couldn't a rider cross enter? This weekend I rode in completely different arenas with separate schooling areas? The shows were distinctly segregated in that way (e.g. the jumper ring was on the east side of the property and the horse trials rings were to the south west).
    Love the title of this thread!

I see no reason why a person wouldn't be allowed to cross enter, assuming one uses good judgement as you did.

I think the idea of holding two shows concurrently is great if the space is available. I always feel badly for riders who get a TE early and then no longer get to ride. This summer I watched a young girl get eliminated in stadium for starting her course before the buzzer sounded, something her trainer forgot to tell her. I don't know if she got to run cross country, but I'm sure she would have appreciated an opportunity to ride in some other classes while she was at the show.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Friend on greenie falls off at first XC fence, out - cost of stall, trailering, entry, ego, whatever other option she gave up doing that day, etc. Worst part? Horse threw a baby-leaving-friends fit, no chance to get on & make said-horse realize that leaving friends XC is part of life.

Sometimes, it's not easier to go to an unrated event, the 'greenie' has been horse-showing for a couple years so nope, not just a mileage issue, and unfortunately, when you're a working ammy, you probably can't attend a HT every-weekend, and what will your trusty-steed say about that anywho. So, what are the options? Send the horse south for the winter where eventing-utopia exsists? And we wonder why 'local' HT's are loosing entries (if you're relying on your real-life job to fund your sport, most likely, your winter-horse-fund is going to subtract from your annual-fund in a rate-limiting way), why the sport is becoming quite $, why smurfs exists, why horses break-down, etc etc

The prize-money thing...wish I had more time to ponder this over. And instead of hear, 'Nope, not likely,' on auto-reply, it'd be interesting to hear The 'whys' Positive thinking folks

I still think of you as a jumper rider and I picture you with Laser.

I think it sounds neat-o to have concurrent HTs and jumper shows, but I think depending on the TD you might get in trouble. Which of course means "change and/or clarify the rules to allow cross-competing when there are other disciplines offered at same venue" not "don't do it."

Around here it's really not a big problem because you didn't drive that far and you've already done stadium by the time you're on xc and you're headed home after you cross the finish flags. It's nice to live in a region where more than an hour drive for a HT seems really far, but I miss the stabling with friends, competitors' parties, and general hooliganism.

Fantatic idea!! That is one of my biggest frustrations as a trainer, when you have a green horse or rider that are having a rough day at an event I often think about how I would give my left thumb to have more classes to put them in so that they could go home on a good note!
    Throw your heart over first....then jump after it!

Well done Reed.
    I wondered what happened in XC, nice Dressage score though.
    In Germany we had stadium jumpers, dressage and eventing always at the same show.
    It was normal to do one or 2 Dressage rounds or a couple stadium rounds besides the eventig stuff.
    Some shows would combine Eventers Dressage and Stadium. Ride Dressage with the Dressage folks, do Stadium with the Stadium folks and than head of to XC.
    No specialized Tests
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Quote Originally Posted by triggerfoot View Post
    ...I miss the stabling with friends, competitors' parties, and general hooliganism.
    Hence why folks like Gnep and I will never be able to run for office.

I think next time, I will enter the hunters before XC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnep View Post
    Well done Reed.
    I wondered what happened in XC, nice Dressage score though.
    In Germany we had stadium jumpers, dressage and eventing always at the same show.
    It was normal to do one or 2 Dressage rounds or a couple stadium rounds besides the eventig stuff.
    Some shows would combine Eventers Dressage and Stadium. Ride Dressage with the Dressage folks, do Stadium with the Stadium folks and than head of to XC.
    No specialized Tests
    Which explains in part why Germany has been so strong in all 3 Olympic disciplines. Also ties in with Wofford's last PH article. Where he noted M. Jung cross trains and is known to do well in the jumper classes.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

fooler,

You know, this sort of set-up/system would go well with the ideas from Pollard and Haddad on COTH.

Allow cross entires and a rider/horse could have a total immersion at the same time enabling trainers etc. to fix issues without waiting or to simply get miles in the front of the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    fooler,

You know, this sort of set-up/system would go well with the ideas from Pollard and Haddad on COTH.

Allow cross entires and a rider/horse could have a total immersion at the same time enabling trainers etc. to fix issues without waiting or to simply get miles in the front of the judges.
    Agree!
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

We should all be so lucky to have a training opportunity like this.

Were I on the stopper XC, I think I'd say "Oh, yeah? That's what you thought? You'd stop and it's Miller Time? Well here ya go... the second shift in the jumper ring starts now. Maybe it would have been easier to keep going XC, eh?"
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Which explains in part why Germany has been so strong in all 3 Olympic disciplines. Also ties in with Wofford's last PH article. Where he noted M. Jung cross trains and is known to do well in the jumper classes.
    He is not cross training, he does jumpers at Grand Prix level and the same at Dressage.
    It is very commen that European Eventers do compet in Dressage or Stadium.
    Klimke could make a living in Dressage, Dibo's Show Calendar is a mix of Eventing, Stadium and Dressage.
    Jung the same. If you look at his Website under Erfolge than you will not only find his Eventign Wins, but also Dressage and Jumping wins, he rides all 3 Disziplins at the very top.

Colorado Horse Park could offer XC only, Dressage only, Stadium only and an all combined winner.
    But not Eventing Dressage or Eventing Stadium, but Dressage/Dressage and Stadium/Stadium
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Quote Originally Posted by Gnep View Post
    He is not cross training, he does jumpers at Grand Prix level and the same at Dressage.
    It is very commen that European Eventers do compet in Dressage or Stadium.
    Klimke could make a living in Dressage, Dibo's Show Calendar is a mix of Eventing, Stadium and Dressage.
    Jung the same. If you look at his Website under Erfolge than you will not only find his Eventign Wins, but also Dressage and Jumping wins, he rides all 3 Disziplins at the very top.

Colorado Horse Park could offer XC only, Dressage only, Stadium only and an all combined winner.
    But not Eventing Dressage or Eventing Stadium, but Dressage/Dressage and Stadium/Stadium
    I understand your response. For me "cross training" includes the competion. Back in the dark ages in this country people 'cross trained' because the eventing seasons were short. So to compete one had to go to dressage, h/j and jumper shows.

Now the evening season runs year so round most focus on eventing only. Granted some will go to dressage or h/j shows to work out kinks. But usually not in an effort to be competitive.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I understand your response. For me "cross training" includes the competion. Back in the dark ages in this country people 'cross trained' because the eventing seasons were short. So to compete one had to go to dressage, h/j and jumper shows.

Now the evening season runs year so round most focus on eventing only. Granted some will go to dressage or h/j shows to work out kinks. But usually not in an effort to be competitive.

<<realizes she lives in the dark ages still>>

We do this 'round here. Eventing season only runs from May to September, so I start up with the dressage season in March. And we do quite well.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post

<<realizes she lives in the dark ages still>>

We do this 'round here. Eventing season only runs from May to September, so I start up with the dressage season in March. And we do quite well.
    ROFL - same here

Were it not for the ULR's living Aiken and FL - we would probably still have our spring and fall seasons. With the summer break, which is when we rested or went to dressage and h/j shows.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

No, here You are an Eventer, a HJ or Stadium or a Dressage. Hardly anybody crosses the line. That is what Reeds experiance was and the shows do not offer it.
    In Germany as I grew up and it still is, you constantly cross and shows offer that.
    You can ride XC only and do a jumper class or a dressage class at the same show.
    You can do the whole Eventing thingy and if you want to do a dressage or a jumper.
    There is no concentration on one specific show. Naturally them big boys have their specific shows.
    But if you come through the ranks, you do stadium or dressage and eventing, some specialize, but most people who event do all the others as well.
    Pros make their living in at least 2 disceplins, coaching, training and riding.
    They do not have a single disceplin business plan, they have jumpers and dressage and eventing horses and clients.
    It has nothing to do with the seasons, its a differant approach.

They are not just Eventers, they are Jumpers and they are Dressagers.
    Caveman extraordinair

Default Germany!

DD jumped in the deep end in Germany this year, and loves it! It seems that all the national competitions offer the mix and match of any one, or all 3, disciplines each day. It seems that it is at FEI levels that they run the levels as we do here. DD loves the mix and match. 3 competitions, 3 scores/awards, and an overall if you did all three.

Oh, and the Germans, at least at Dibo's barn, consider a competition day to be a "day off" for both horse and rider. These people and their horses are super fit.

I have really enjoyed my 10 days here observing how these guys do eventing!

It rains a lot by the way!

Well, we have identified one unique thing that exists and apparently has improved the German international capabilities.

Maybe we need to push for more diversification AT competitions. Combine the shows and allow for cross entries with no penalty. In other words, the USDF, USEF, USHJA, USEA maybe need to WORK TOGETHER rather than seperately to improve our teams, our pool of riders, our pool of horses.