The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternatives to an Eventing Watch for a Timed Event?

Is there any alternative to an eventing watch for a small, fun type of xc derby? This is the type of event where there is an optimal time. I don't have an eventing watch, and am not at the level where I really need one. Can one make due with a digital watch, (or even a digital kitchen timer on a wrist band???).

And whether or not I can borrow an eventing watch, or use a regular digital watch, do you just set it on timer mode, and then enter the optimal time?

I am completely cluesless about how eventers use a watch. Thanks.

PS - I just saw that Dover has these eventing watches for $29. Is it worthwhile to get one? I didn't know they made inexpensive ones.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/eventin...y5in455bxbf545

I use a Timex Ironman watch for Eventing. I had an "Eventing watch" many years ago, but the battery went. I got a Timex Ironman as a temorary replacement, and never bothered to replace battery in the "Eventing Watch".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet, how do you use the ironman for xc, in a nutshell?

$6.97 digital plastic kids watch with countdown timer to the .100 from Walmart.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

My eventing watch went belly up and I have been getting by with my regular Timex digital (I don't think it's an ironman but something similar, with timer features, sturdy, waterproof, and inexpensive).

People do it a variety of ways -- I like to enter the optimum time and have it count down, so if I look at it I see how much time is left. Less math

I generally hit start 10 seconds before I am sent out of the box so I am not fiddling with buttons as pony gets revved to leave, and so I'll get an audible "kick on" if I am close to time at the end.

The big watches will beep every minute, which I do find very useful for tracking myself around course, and have very large numbers, which is also useful, but I've gone a whole season using my Timex and it is certainly perfectly reasonable at the level I'm at...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

any watch with a stopwatch feature will work. I like the count up feature, so just set my watch to "chron" which is the terminology used by most timex watches. Know optimum time, approximate halfway point on the course, and look down at the watch if you want at around that point or other "cruising" points on course. I very rarely use a watch below preliminary level though.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by ytr45 View Post
    Janet, how do you use the ironman for xc, in a nutshell?
    First, I set the repeating count down timer to one minute. I ask the starter to tell me when it is exactly one minute to go, and I start teh countdown timer then. It then beeps every minute- including as I leave the start box.

Once I have started the recurring count down timer, I switch to stopwatch mode. As the starter says "go" I start the stopwatch.

When I walk the course, I identify approximately where I want to be at each minute. So once on course, I just listen for the beeps. I rarely look at the stopwatch readout on course.

As I cross the finish line (or, more often, a few seconds later) I stop the stopwatch. THEN I look at it to see my actual time.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks everyone, very good ideas. Especially the one about buying a $6 watch at walmart :-)

Here's a stupid question: if you set the watch for the optimal time and have it countdown, (which sounds like the easiest for someone new to this), but then notice you are close to the finish line too early, would you drop down to a walk for a few seconds or a few yards?

Thanks everyone, very good ideas. Especially the one about buying a $6 watch at walmart :-)

Here's a stupid question: if you set the watch for the optimal time and have it countdown, (which sounds like the easiest for someone new to this), but then notice you are close to the finish line too early, would you drop down to a walk for a few seconds or a few yards?
    Not between the last fence and the finish line (that would be penalized for willfull delay).

Before the last fence, only if I were in danger of getting speed faults.
    Last edited by Janet; Oct. 5, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Janet

No! No circling or dropping below a trot or obvious delay after the last fence.

Any watch with a stopwatch will do. Many of us use the Timex IronMan, I love it, I even have two (one is for work, one for eventing, LOL, work is lots of snorkeling and boat work and diving and just plain abuse).

I use an $18 Casio digital watch that has 9 interval timers (something you have to pay >$40 for with an Ironman). I do mine a little differently, though -- I set the first interval to 1:50, then each one after that to 1 min... then I set the stopwatch when he says "10 seconds," so each beep corresponds with the minute mark.

The one thing I don't like is that the stopwatch has two displays, so when you hit "stop," it displays your stopped time on the bottom but keeps running on top until you reset it. Kind of annoying, but for $18 I can't complain.

Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk