The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default You suck as an eventer option....

The Colorado Horse Park has done something that I think would be AWESOME if more venues did, they ran a USEF "A" show, a local "B" show and the horse trials all at once. Talk about cross pollination!!! I think there were about 300-400 horses total with 7 rings going.

And here is the best part, when my horse, Rien, stopped out at the 7th fence on Novice XC, I walked back to the stall, took off the tack, went to the show office; entered the 3' jumper division in the "B" show that was running at that moment; ran back to the stall and tacked back up and took Rien in 3 jumper classes where we placed 4th and 3rd in two of them. And these were not short nor small courses, with 14 fences each. Actually, these were much more complex courses than what we see in eventing so it is a good way to get a horse thinking.

What a way to get a chance to fix things while everything is still fresh. The h/j folks were all wondering who they hell was this guy with an arm band and white breeches fresh off xc (oh the shock!).

The horse show folks were wonderful in there were no post entries, late fees, etc. I just paid the class fee. We called it the "You suck as an eventer discount." Just think if you could do this after driving hundreds of miles. No feeling of wasted time and money. And you even have a shot at winning prize money sometimes!

Heck, at BN or Novice, even Training, you could run XC, then do a few stadium courses and then go stadium the next day. Talk about being schooled ready (hey even enter the horse show, jump in the morning before your stadium round!).

This needs a 'like' button!!

Octoberfest at the Hoosier Horse Park is a 3 day show with pretty much every discipline in one place. You can run barrels Friday night, do a CT and school XC on Saturday, and show hunter/jumpers or rail classes on Sunday.

I have a friend showing her stallion in dressage so I'm taking my pony in the CT on Saturday and hunters on Sunday to put some miles on her.

That. Is. AWESOME. !!!! I sure do wish that that had been an option at the event recently where my kid performed the "wrong" dressage test ( my fault I guess; told her wrong) and we went home in disgrace! We could have entered a few dressage classes, then done some jumpers for extra credit and gone home with maybe even a ribbon! Logistical nightmare but what a great deal!

Personally, I think you should have entered a hunter class or two just for the outrage of it all.

What was it about Fence #7 that Rien didn't like? How funny that he goes on to jump 42 more fences without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Personally, I think you should have entered a hunter class or two just for the outrage of it all.

What was it about Fence #7 that Rien didn't like? How funny that he goes on to jump 42 more fences without incident.
    My hunt coat is so out of date, it isn't funny and my Animo dealer friend would not let me have one on loan.

As for Fence #7, I think Rien didn't like the way I was riding. I was too much a passenger for his taste. Considering the jumper rounds were in an derby field with an audience and schooling area, trees and all sorts of commotion, I think it was more my ride than the horse.

But without the concurrent running of horse shows, I would have never had the chance to work this out. My trainer, was awesome and came up to school me, allowing for both of us to figure out what went wrong on XC and work out a plan. I can't say enough good things about concurrent shows and the opportunities for working and training young horses. The bang for the buck is off the chart horse show-wise.

LOVE this. I think show turn out numbers would go WAY up if this was more popular.

I would dress to the nines in my rarely used (but still fashionable!) hunter gear, horrify and/or impress the judges in the 3'6" amateur/owner division, then saunter to the start box and run cross country with my vest thrown over my hunter princess clothes. It would be the best day ever

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Heck, at BN or Novice, even Training, you could run XC, then do a few stadium courses and then go stadium the next day. Talk about being schooled ready (hey even enter the horse show, jump in the morning before your stadium round!).
    Except doing a jump school anywhere else but the designated warm-up area over anything but marked jumps while in the midst of a competition might be against the rules? Calling Janet...

I too though have loved, loved, loved the opportunity to fix problems immediately with another go the last two weekends. Two weekends ago I took my new 4 year old (JER's former 4 year old ) to a small local jumper schooling show where they are very kind to us event riders that don't really understand the lingo or all the rules! The jumps were VERY colorful so we started in the last 2' class. He jumped everything, but wanted to look at things and it wasn't terribly pretty. Came out of the ring looked at the gate steward and asked if I could just jump the exact same class again as a schooling round. Second time around he was good and then they bumped the height up for the next division and in that he was fantastic on his third trip over the exact same course.

Fast forward to this past Saturday to a local unrec/schooling event. Danny Boy seemed to remember the show jump lesson and was forward to every stadium jump without batting an eye--even though it was a bit bigger than the previous week. On XC again he went over everything on the first try, but not without giving some of the fences the stink eye first making a few things rather awkward. Since it was a small 12 jump BN course I asked to run the course again as a schooling opportunity. Fifteen minutes after the first go he went again and was forward and fantastic to everything! If it sticks in his brain like the show jump lesson he's golden for a recognized BN in a couple weeks.

I felt extremely fortunate in both instances to be schooling at a high quality facility run by good people who understand it is about making young horses better and more confident and who are more than happy to work with you!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Octoberfest at the Hoosier Horse Park is a 3 day show with pretty much every discipline in one place. You can run barrels Friday night, do a CT and school XC on Saturday, and show hunter/jumpers or rail classes on Sunday.

I have a friend showing her stallion in dressage so I'm taking my pony in the CT on Saturday and hunters on Sunday to put some miles on her.
    See you next weekend! I'm announcing the stadium portion of the CT.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

THAT is a fabulous idea!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Super concept, and I know many eventers (ME!) would benefit from the opportunity to get back in the ring to smooth an issue or patch up confidence. That's why I love schooling shows where the schedule is relaxed enough to allow for a few extra rounds at the end of each division.

Logistically, though, I wonder how many facilities really have the space and the manpower to run multiple jump rings at once? Especially for a recognized horse trials and a rated hunter/jumper show.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Best part is, Reed is out eventing again!
    Click here before you buy.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

On a horse named Nothing!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    See you next weekend! I'm announcing the stadium portion of the CT.

How Cool! Look forward to meeting you and I hope my pony behaves!

I know we have at least one local unrecognized event that allows dressage only entrants....they figure they got the rings set up and the judges paid anyway, why not fill the day and make money with extra dressage entries. Cool thing is, it's way good for the young horses who get the atmosphere but not the really exciting running and jumping, just the flat stuff -- helps them understand the job is behave first....love this idea.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

For those of you on Tb's at the Virginia Horse Trials, come on over to the TB celebration show on the other side of the horse center and do the same! November 2-4

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Great opportunity. Very envious!

Way to go Reed and Rien.

Many competitions will run a CT and dressage show at the same time, some run a 3Phase and dressage. Competition. Often it is done at the beginning of a season or in the summer here in Hot,humid South. Good opportunity to run through several dressage tests then run and jump.

Subk - as I understand it, the recognized H/J shows have licensed stewards monitoring their warm-up and show rings. So it would be a matter of stewards, of all warm-up areas, watching for cross over competitors. Also depending on the facility, jump warm ups could be placed away from each other to discourage folks using the wrong area.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

What a great idea!

Always loved a jumper show for the ability to go right back out there and fix the mistakes from the last round (and invariably make new ones), so to offer that concurrently with an event sounds great.

There's a local schooling HT here that offers additional dressage and stadium rounds if time allows, fab for greenies!