The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can a gate be hung to swing 270 degrees?

I am building a run-in shed, which is to be 24 x 12.

There will be a center post in the front, and for now, in case I want to close a horse into the run-in shed, I want to hang two 12' gates in front. They would hinge at the sides of the run in, close at the center post.

Can they be hung so I can swing them all the way around (270 degrees) against the sides of the run in?
    friend of bar.ka

Default no.

The best you could do if you need them out of the way, is to hinge them so they fold flat against the inside walls, of course then you'd have to close one at a time, move the horse(s) over to the closed side, close the other one, etc.

If you screw the hinge pins into the post at a 45deg angle, sticking out from the post enough that they clear the post, it will work.

This general type of hinge will do what you are asking. I've seen a far less attractive version on gates where I used to live, as long as you put the pin in the post pretty much as T says you can get a lot of swing out of them. Just don't bang into them with a tractor, you'll make a mess.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...e+Strap+Hinges
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default Ok, I stand corrected, but...

Sticking the hinge at that angle will mean it's in the corner off the post. You might get it done, but I'm thinking it's going to be all kind of drooping and sagging. Then you've got the hinges kind of sticking out there, just waiting on a stupid horse...

I was thinking more This type of gate hinge (the type you use with a pipe gate). They are easy to install at an angle in a round post and they do not sag anymore that way than they do when installed straight.

The hinges will not stick out anymore than the gate does.

it could be done by using a round metal post that you slip a larger diameter pipe whose internal diameter is greater than the outside diameter of the fixed pipe. The interior pipe would be fixed into place the sleeved pipe would have the ability to rotate 360 degrees if desired

Don't know how much room you have there, but you could add a post out there and open the gates onto that post and fasten them there as wings to the shed and be able to close them when you want:

\ /
    ____[____]___

Well, can't get those two gate wings to stay on the drawing in front of the shed ends, keep moving away, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    it could be done by using a round metal post that you slip a larger diameter pipe whose internal diameter is greater than the outside diameter of the fixed pipe. The interior pipe would be fixed into place the sleeved pipe would have the ability to rotate 360 degrees if desired
    That's how the boom on the bee truck worked. It also had a hydraulic ram inside so you could raise it about a foot. Lots of wheel bearing grease on your bearing surfaces.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I was thinking more This type of gate hinge...
    You can stabelize the bolt by cutting a short length of right angle stock and drilling a hole through the point of the angle stock, then welding it to the bolt at the hinge end. Use another length of stock, drilled as the first, but welded to a flat washer, on the opposite end of the bolt.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Haven't tried it, but how about a bi-fold gate design on each side of the center post? You'd still be pushing horse out of the way of the gate to open it, but only half the depth of the shed. So they can easily move out of the way without getting stuck behind the gate. With a bi-fold setup, I might consider using the center post as the gate post. When the gates are folded together so the front of the shed is open, they'd serve to partially divide the shed into two 12' stalls. May not be acceptable for your purposes (I kind of like it--reduces the ability of a bully horse to monopolize the whole shed). But that way there's no crowding any horse against a wall when you open them.
    The inherent flex in the gate might be a problem--if a horse gets to rubbing its tail on the gate it's going to bow out a little and test your gate latches. So, maybe not practical, but just throwing the idea out there.

Here's some hardware that looks like it might work.