The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a ride for a horse MD to AL/N. FL

I have a gelding who needs a ride from just south of DC to either the Huntsville AL area or Pensacola FL area. Is anyone headed that way, or shipping that way, or have any shippers they recommend? I have an option for him to travel in about 2 weeks, but would like to send him sooner.

And if it makes it easier to have something of a round trip, I have one I need brought from N. Alabama to Cochranville, PA also would prefer sooner rather than later.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Nate Chambers took our youngster from MD to Ocala last winter. He did a great job and was very easy to work with. His rig was lovely. Google him and you will find his number. He made a lot of trips last winter.

Thanks for the leads, unfortunately Ocala is about 8 hours out of the way, but a drop off in Jacksonville might be an option, I'll call both.

Hey there! I have a gelding I need to get from Bell Buckle, TN (37020) to just outside of DC in Gambrills, MD (21054) -- or somewhere close to either of those places.

I got a quote from Cox Equine for $650 and they are traveling that route Oct. 12/13 and 26/27... they might be able to fit your route in, too. I have friends that have used them and they said they are great. Unfortunately, that's out of my budget.

I would love to share a ride, but not sure how we could work it out. If you have any suggestions, let me know.
    Be kind; for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato

My horse is leaving on Thursday, Oct 4th, to ship from New England to Huntsville, AL via Equine Express. Maybe give them a call & see if they can add you to the load?

http://www.equineexpress.com/

My horse is leaving from goode, virginia on friday oct 5 to jackson, ms via equine express too!!!
    No Worries!

Auto Be A Storm...maybe yours is on the same shipment as mine? I was told he'd arrive at the farm just outside of Hunstville between 5 & 7 pm on Friday.

That is so cool mine will be in jackson saturday morning. I am driving to meet them and then hauling him home the rest of the way!!!
    No Worries!

thank you all SO much, I think he's on that same truck, just waiting for a confirmation call!!

that is so awesome!!!!
    No Worries!

Oh good! Hopefully our horses will all introduce themselves and play nice together.

This is turning out to be a much longer haul than usual for my boy, though. I've had Equine Express ship this route for me a few times now, and it has reliably come in right around 30 hours every time. This trip is now estimated to be closer to 40. That is a lonnnggg time to be on a trailer. Can't say I'm overly crazy about it and even contemplated rescheduling....but they have my credit card number & health certificate is all set for specific dates...guess he's going...

Alternately, any suggestions for getting the horse from Huntsville, AL to Lexington, KY (where Tapp can easily bring it the rest of the way). Equine express says at least 3 weeks and so far no one else is covering the route

Hmm...maybe your luck will change with Equine Express. 1 week ago, they told me at least 3 weeks before they could ship my horse and then all of sudden this trip opened up.

As PSA to the others whose horses are on this trip...they are running way late, but you probably know that.

First I was told pickup between 5 & 7 am today. Then last night that got moved to 9:30-10:30 am. Shipper actually arrived at 1 pm. Then I just got a call...driver (Bobby) called me by mistake, and started off by saying he'd be picking my horse up between midnight & 2 am and that he got really delayed with fog, rain and traffic, before I could tell him he called the wrong number on his client list.

Scubed, call Athena of Horse Jitney, she is doing a route in that direction in a week or two

I have left messages for Athena and not heard back, but I will try again. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Alternately, any suggestions for getting the horse from Huntsville, AL to Lexington, KY (where Tapp can easily bring it the rest of the way). Equine express says at least 3 weeks and so far no one else is covering the route
    Scubed, I'm headed up for Midsouth. I was going to drive a car (I'm only grooming) but if you'll help me with fuel, I'm glad to grab him from Debi's and bring him to Lexington. Not sure that will get him there any sooner, but let me know!