The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pinching knees and thighs-help

I just started jumping a friend of mines mare after not jumping in months. I noticed I some how picked up a bad habit. I am pinching with my thighs and knees. I've never did this before on any other horse. I am having to watch the videos that the barn tapes to see what I am doing wrong. I am saving up to get a lesson (instructor is great but not in budget range) I am working also with no stirrups to help strengthen my legs. So any help would be appericiated

It may just be because you haven't jumped in months, so you're a little out of shape/rusty Make sure your stirrups are the correct length for jumping, and be careful with your no stirrups work that you aren't pinching during that - it will just build the wrong muscles!

I agree with doing no stirrup work. Make sure when you're doing no stirrup work to think of stretching your legs down and around, rather that squeezing. This should translate over pretty well to jumping.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Thank you will also picture GM barking orders. lol

If you're in a different saddle, that can contribute to the change in position, as well as the barrel and conformation of this new horse. You also may just not be in shape and you're losing your position. Rather than work without stirrups, I'd recommend a lot of two point -- correct two point with your leg correctly around the horse -- to strengthen your leg and re-educate your muscles.

Also, lower the jumps or start off over poles. You may be a bit insecure on a new horse and riding a bit defensively.

I have the same problem. I'm coming off of a three month layoff and it may just be due to being a little out of shape!

I was also told to turn my toe out just a tad and pull my knee away from the saddle so my leg stretches long and down and wraps around my horse's barrel. Seems to help, though everyone does it differently.
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"