The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Critique and Pricing Expectations?

I was given Knight, a 16.3/17hh brown Appendix gelding (registered) back in August for my birthday. While I am grateful to have horse, he isn't what I was looking for.

So I am planning on putting more riding time into him and trying to sell him next year (and possibly showing him a little in the spring/summer).

He's super nice and uncomplicated to ride. Stands to be clipped and for the farrier and vet with no issues. Cross ties, rides out alone, but can also go in a group. He's at the bottom of the pecking order in the herd. As long as you haven't given him a reason not to trust you, he will do anything you ask. Definitely could be a great ammy mount for someone.

I'm working on getting him to use his hind end and round his back, but I'm working against his original training (western pleasure) and his conformation, so it's slow going. I've been riding him fairly regularly for the last month and a half and have been surprised with what progress we have made.

I live in the Midwest, Wisconsin to be more precise. Would be advertising him as a HUS/equitation and low level hunter over fences horse. How much could expect to get for him and how much should I ask expecting someone to want to barter a little? I understand that the market could fluctuated between now and then.

Videos and photos in my blog (link in my signature).

Just to be clear I am not trying to sell him now. I'm just curious as to what I could expect to get for him.
    Last edited by Sempiternal; Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Anyone?

I was thinking if I get him going really well and possibly get him in some shows coupled with his temprement and height (and that he is a gelding), I could expect maybe $6,000 - $7,000. Is that too high...too low?

How old is he?

Can't tell much from the video except he looks like a cute boy and willing.

If you want to get that much for him, he will need to be jumping small courses and have some show/eventing experience.

I don't know what pricing is like where you are, but even here in Mass he would go for less than what you are thinking.

Maybe after you bond with him more you'll find he's more suitable for you. He has a nice head and a kind eye.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I think having some show miles, even unrated local shows would make him easier to market. Most potential buyers are looking to buy a horse that is already going, not a project.

Hard to say how you'll improve him with your training and what type of shows you'll get to. Based upon your blog I think you're selling him short and he's nicer than you seem to think.... and I think by the time you want to sell you may not want to sell!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I definitely wouldn't be thinking $6-$7k for a horse with no show miles and isn't doing courses with even a simple change.

Has he shown? Could he go back to breed shows as a HUS-O/F horse? Does he have a lead change? We don't have much background on him other than he was given to you and he's quiet.

He sounds like a very nice all-around horse that would do great in the breed shows. As far as being strictly a hunter on the open circuits, I haven't seen that evidence yet based on the video I saw on your blog. I just saw a very nice, quiet horse that does as he's asked.

I really like him and if I was in the market I'd definitely be interested, but I'm also mostly a foxhunter/trail rider who dabbles in the occasional rated show. Like I said, he seems like a wonderful all-arounder for an amateur.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

What ARE you looking for? He's pretty nice to me. I'd keep this one.

BTW, in his confo shot on your blog, what on earth is that thing in the background? A fox? A raccoon? A koala?

Unless he is doing courses at at least some schooling shows I wouldn't say a lot. Definitly not 6-7K. Looks like with some schooling might be a nice short or long stirrup horse for schooling shows or the local B shows. BUT to sell him as that he needs to go around 2' courses quietly with at least simple changes. Timeless and Crossroads is not to far from you and both have some winter shows, so if it were me I would plan on taking him to some of those over the winter. Also the B shows start in Jan.

Well for one, I'm looking for something a little bit smaller. He's not wide, so I don't look ridiculous on him, but I am only 5'3". I would like a prospect that could take me to training level in eventing, perhaps higher if I can find a good enough instructor (and a xc course) in the area, and I'm a little worried about his pasterns and how down hill he is built.

I would be showing him in local and AQHA shows next year (or at least that was the plan).

He was originally purchased as a two year old for $20,000 as a western pleasure prospect for the AQHA circuit (he is now 9). He made it to some shows....but, well he and his trainer/rider apparently didn't click and he didn't exactly make it into any of the classes that he was entered for. For the last 4...maybe 5 years he has been with a greenie who was a little scared of him. She mostly just lunged him (from what I could telll only to the left) and just groomed him. She did ride, but not a whole lot.

My mother wants to show him in some western classes, which he turns into a totally different horse when ridden western (and slow). Dead eyed, willing, but lazy without a lot of spark. Typically, I'm the only one riding him.

He could be a nice guy and I don't see a big problem with him going training level eventing with the right training, but that is to be seen once he starts jumping. Right now I'd say 2 to 3k just because of his size and temperament. With the right training and shows at least in my area he'd have to be going 2'6 with changes to get a 7k tag on him. 2' he would probably bring 5k
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    Well for one, I'm looking for something a little bit smaller. He's not wide, so I don't look ridiculous on him, but I am only 5'3". I would like a prospect that could take me to training level in eventing, perhaps higher if I can find a good enough instructor (and a xc course) in the area, and I'm a little worried about his pasterns and how down hill he is built.

I would be showing him in local and AQHA shows next year (or at least that was the plan).

He was originally purchased as a two year old for $20,000 as a western pleasure prospect for the AQHA circuit (he is now 9). He made it to some shows....but, well he and his trainer/rider apparently didn't click and he didn't exactly make it into any of the classes that he was entered for. For the last 4...maybe 5 years he has been with a greenie who was a little scared of him. She mostly just lunged him (from what I could telll only to the left) and just groomed him. She did ride, but not a whole lot.

My mother wants to show him in some western classes, which he turns into a totally different horse when ridden western (and slow). Dead eyed, willing, but lazy without a lot of spark. Typically, I'm the only one riding him.
    What he went for when he was two as a western horse has nothing to do with what he will sell for now. Also, if he had western training and did some shows he should have his lead changes already. The other thing is that with his size and remember that he was going solid as a two year old if there wasn't a vet check done with x rays before you were given him I would x ray his hocks before even puting him up for sale. Western pleasure training is hard on the joints of babies and by 7 a lot of them need injections.

You may be better off trying to sell him for AQHA shows, but then if he would do well at those then he probably would have stayed being shown and sold just to those clients.

I think in order to get 6-7k for him (as a hunter), he needs to be doing 2'6+ courses (with fill) with flying changes.

As a critique, he has a lovely rhythm. He does not extend well through the shoulders though. Unless he does the breed shows, it will be hard for him to compete against a TB or WB without that extension in the shoulder. Its probably something that can be worked on though! Once he untucks that head, stretches down his next and extends the shoulders he would look the part of hunter quite nicely.

$6-7k is a little much...cantering 2'6" courses with a lead change and doing well at local hunter shows might get you that if he's easy to ride. I don't know much about AQHA shows, but this is based off of doing USEF-type shows.

That said, he is CUTE and I would definitely keep him! With his height, 2'6"-3' should really not be too difficult. He is an Appendix, so part TB (if I'm correct) and he looks athletic once you have him moving forward. You seem to be on the right track instilling forward first and foremost and erasing the curling/western pleasure training he was given. I think you have a very nice horse and I would keep him. Pasterns wouldn't bother me at all on him...they're much better than my 15yo TB who has always been very sound with a fantastic jump. I think you look fine on him, if you're comfortable with his height. I like tall horses (yet, I have two 15.3hh TB's). I love OTTB's (as I see you're looking for), but this guy seems like a gem and unless you get a really good offer, I'd keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I think in order to get 6-7k for him (as a hunter), he needs to be doing 2'6+ courses (with fill) with flying changes.

As a critique, he has a lovely rhythm. He does not extend well through the shoulders though. Unless he does the breed shows, it will be hard for him to compete against a TB or WB without that extension in the shoulder. Its probably something that can be worked on though! Once he untucks that head, stretches down his next and extends the shoulders he would look the part of hunter quite nicely.
    Agree. I would say $2,000 as he is. If you can get him jumping small courses $4,000 -$7,000 depending on how he does over the courses, how firm his changes are, how much of a joke he can take, how he vets out etc etc

I would keep him for a couple of years and see if he'll do Training Level eventing. I don't see why not with a little "forward" schooling. He's definitely cute enough and looks to have a decent jump.

If you ride him in a nice, consistent, relaxed way, you can also play in hunter/jumpers. Then, if he washes out at Novice, you can sell him as a packer 3' hunter or jumper as he'll have more miles and experience. He'll be worth a lot more if he can carry around a kid at 3', as so many of these nice large good-minded QHs can. I used to have quite a good little business getting WP quarter horses going as packer Children's Jumpers. Even the 15 hand ones would pull low five figures if they will carry a monkey around 3'3 with auto changes and jump from anywhere. Best thing about these horses is the brain and this one seems to have the right personality. Give him a shot.

I never had to advertise any of my QH projects -- people would come ask me if they were for sale, usually before I was ready to put them on the market. They are SO much easier to sell than TBs because packers are always in demand and people give QHs the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being a packer.

I like him, as well! He can definitely do what you want. But if he's not the one for you, you'll need to invest in shows to get much $$$ for him. Jumping and lead changes will help.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    You may be better off trying to sell him for AQHA shows, but then if he would do well at those then he probably would have stayed being shown and sold just to those clients.
    It wasn't so much him doing well...I can't go into details, but it had more to do with the training and his ability to put up with it, than his ability to do the job handed to him. And trust me he can be wicked athletic when he wants to be.

I haven't asked him for any flying lead changes yet, since I've mainly been legging him up in the beginning and then focusing more on walk and trot work.

I guess we'll see where we are next year. I wish he had a little more sass though. I grew up riding alpha mares and he is a total 180 from what I'm used to working with.

As he gets fitter and starts to trust you, I think you may find that his personality blossoms.

On your blog you were looking at OTTBs -- one with nearly 100 starts.

From a soundness perspective, I'd stick with what you have! He's a nice horse, he's cute, you don't look tiny on him, and he has a brain.

Personally, I'd take that over some sass, but everyone has their own likes.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

He looks wonderful and I would definitely look at him if he was closer to California. If he can do 2'6" to 3' with changes and a decent stride he would be the perfect county level horse. I wish he was closer.