The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Miracle at Hoosier Horse Park

Most importantly no one was hurt. Gate crew couldn't get the gate off the track as the field was turning for home. Note the jockey that literally stands on his mount's back and jumps over the rail into the infield....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=897_4...ature=youtu.be

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Thank God that didn't turn out as bad as it could have. It happened at CT years ago. All of a sudden using draft horses again doesn't seem like such a bad idea
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Holy chit! Miracle indeed. Thank FSM for the superlative reflexes of finely tuned athletes, equine & human alike.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

One of the horses did suffer a sesamoid fracture or injury I believe but yeah, it's a huge miracle nobody was injured or killed. They should have been way more prepared for something like this to happen. Giant FAIL.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    They should have been way more prepared for something like this to happen. Giant FAIL.
    What exactly would you suggest they do in the 60 seconds or so that they had after they realized the gate wasn't going anywhere and before the horses got there? They are called accidents and flukes for a reason
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Hence why they are called accidents not on purposes.

Good Lord thanks for keeping everyone safe from what could have been a terrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    What exactly would you suggest they do in the 60 seconds or so that they had after they realized the gate wasn't going anywhere and before the horses got there? They are called accidents and flukes for a reason
    They should have had the outriders on the turn at that point.

Why isn't the announcer saying something to warm the jockeys that the gate has not moved???? Seems like the announcer should have seen the gate had not moved and started saying something well before the turn.

Have a 2nd tractor in place as they do at most other tracks. Perhaps NOW they will.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Well there was a 2nd tractor, but apperently they forgot to hook the gate to it! So when it was pulling away, the gate stayed there.

Thank God that didn't turn out as bad as it could have. It happened at CT years ago. All of a sudden using draft horses again doesn't seem like such a bad idea
    A big amen to that. As much as most of us would like to see it, I'd bet the inability to find competent teamsters is probably the biggest impediment to that excellent idea.
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Scary stuff. I was really expecting to see carnage.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Profidia View Post
    A big amen to that. As much as most of us would like to see it, I'd bet the inability to find competent teamsters is probably the biggest impediment to that excellent idea.
    No it is not, the idea of paying for draft horses, their care and upkeep, meaning stable help and a teamster is what is the biggest impediment, that and they are not that fast.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

They are supposed to have a second tractor already running in the event that the first one doesn't work, PLUS the outrider is supposed to be sitting at the top of the stretch. There was sufficient time between when they must have realized the tractor wasn't working for the outrider to have ridden out and tried to the warn riders. It would have been far better to call off the race than to wait til the last second to see if the gate could have gotten out of the way in time.

The outriders carry radios (or are supposed to) that are tied into everybody on the track, including the gate crew. Gate crew should have notified the outrider that there was an issue as soon as it happened so he could have at least been prepared to stop the riders, even if they got the gate moved and he didn't need to. The gate is moved the moment the horses leave it, so there was definitely time for action.

For those asking about the announcer, it's pretty impossible for the jockeys to hear him but he still should have been notified by somebody and announced the gate malfunction as well.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT