The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Muzzles bad for paddocks?

Before I even ask, yes, i have horses that wear muzzles so one could argue why do I worry about grass growing. I am only going to try to prevent them from eating it. But, it's vanity, neighbor pride, good forage for the one that does not get muzzled, etc.

Does anyone else wonder if muzzling eventually deteriorates your paddocks? My muzzle guys "push" the muzzle to the ground then eat the grass. Resulting in very close cropped grass. I rotate, fertilize, seed, etc and horses are not out 24/7, have about 1.5 acres per horse. 2 muzzled, 1 not. This year our paddocks looked great, green and lush, but sadly a lot was a more crab grass like grass, and now they are looking kind of brownish. Thickly covered, just not what they should look like in NoVa at this time of year.

How are they cropping the grass any closer than if they weren't muzzled?

What Ive noticed when my guy is muzzles he snot cropping closer he is actually pressing the grass down. When I go to get mine out of the field he is usually standing in what appears to be a large crop circle because he has smooshed the grass with the flat part of the muzzle.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Was mostly a thought in my list of pasture maintenance. It seems to me that by pressing the muzzle to the ground then eating the grass that comes through there is more impact on the grass at that spot. Less overall of.course due to restricted intake but more close cropping at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Justmyluck View Post
    What Ive noticed when my guy is muzzles he snot cropping closer he is actually pressing the grass down. When I go to get mine out of the field he is usually standing in what appears to be a large crop circle because he has smooshed the grass with the flat part of the muzzle.
    Well, I don't know about the health of your grass, but I think "snot cropping" pretty much paints the picture.

I have not noticed that at all and 2 of my 4 are muzzled. My grass lasts much longer than it otherwise would.

What is your rotation schedule? Rest is the most important thing I notice for grass health.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Well, I don't know about the health of your grass, but I think "snot cropping" pretty much paints the picture.
    My thought exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I have not noticed that at all and 2 of my 4 are muzzled. My grass lasts much longer than it otherwise would.

What is your rotation schedule? Rest is the most important thing I notice for grass health.
    Agree - I see smooshed grass, but not close-cropped grass. I have 4 horses now on 8 acres, and 2 of them are muzzled full time for most of about 6 months, and I KNOW the grass lasts longer into Fall because of it

I haven't noticed a difference and both mine are muzzled...they have eaten the one paddock down pretty well too!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com