The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    It's the grease, provided by the DQP, applied to the legs under the chains to reduce friction.
    Thank you for clearing that up!

Can you comment on the incidence of soft tissue injuries in padded horses vs. flat shot horses? It seems like there would be more soft tissue injuries because of the increased strain on soft tissues from being shod in pads, but maybe that is not the case?

Also, it is my (possibly incorrect) understanding that a lot of horses that are shod this way actually retire at very young ages (not necessarily because of injury), so possibly that would reduce the overall strain on them throughout their lifetimes?

Just speculating here and looking for information. I know almost nothing about this.

Sorry, I can't comment on the soft tissue thing. I have ASBs, not TWHs. However, a good portion of ASBs are shown in pads, though not to the extent that Big Lick, or even Plantation shod walkers are. I can say that I hear an awful lot more people with hunters/dressage/WP/just plain pleasure horses lament about lameness issues than I ever hear from ASB peeps. And there's an awful lot of old campaigners in their late teens still showing.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Sorry, I can't comment on the soft tissue thing. I have ASBs, not TWHs. However, a good portion of ASBs are shown in pads, though not to the extent that Big Lick, or even Plantation shod walkers are. I can say that I hear an awful lot more people with hunters/dressage/WP/just plain pleasure horses lament about lameness issues than I ever hear from ASB peeps. And there's an awful lot of old campaigners in their late teens still showing.
    Interesting - thanks for the info.

I think there ARE lameness issues we just don't get to know about them. Laminitis/founder being one.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Can you comment on the incidence of soft tissue injuries in padded horses vs. flat shot horses? It seems like there would be more soft tissue injuries because of the increased strain on soft tissues from being shod in pads, but maybe that is not the case?

Also, it is my (possibly incorrect) understanding that a lot of horses that are shod this way actually retire at very young ages (not necessarily because of injury), so possibly that would reduce the overall strain on them throughout their lifetimes?

Just speculating here and looking for information. I know almost nothing about this.
    This might give you some more information that you're looking for.

http://www.aaep.org/images/files/AAE...H%20Soring.pdf Note this is a 2008 paper. They've come out with a stronger stance since that time.

What is intuitively obvious to most horse people is the Big Lick, by nature, is abusive.

Actually, if I understand correctly, the AVMA/AAEP base their recommendation upon 40 years of corruption and illegal activity that they believe will only be eradicated by eliminating the action devices.

I don't believe there is any science or accumulated data to substantiate that the Big Lick is detrimental. Most claim, there's no funding, but I just can't believe that for either side. I think it's more a case that it's just so obvious. Regardless, I'm not sure the science is even necessary in light of the 40 years of "organized crime" which is the TWHBEA/Big Lick.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Yes, but that not only deadens the noise, but stabilises the chain on the leg effectively giving you simply a leg weight and defeating the idea which is motion and noise. I have seen some chains stuffed into plastic tubes, but again, same problem.
    I see. Then, what about the rollers? wouldn't they have the safe effect without actually hitting the legs?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I have NEVER had a horse chafe from chains. I have, however, had one chafe from fleece ankle cuffs because those cuffs, even if you start your ride off with clean ones, can trap a lot of arena footing between the cuff and the skin. Bare chain is really the way to go. Think about it, if you were working and sweating, which would be more comfortable? A thick, smooth Chanel chain bracelet? Or a wooly fleece one?
    I guess that would depend on the weight of the bracelet. I personally don't like to ride with heavy pendants, for example, because they keep bumping my chest and even though they don't actually leave a bruise, it can be annoying. Of course if I ever wore a fleece bracelet it might just spontaneously combust
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    I see. Then, what about the rollers? wouldn't they have the safe effect without actually hitting the legs?

Rollers are, indeed, more stable and are used chiefly for the sound. They are used often on the hind feet of horses learning to rack.

I guess that would depend on the weight of the bracelet. I personally don't like to ride with heavy pendants, for example, because they keep bumping my chest and even though they don't actually leave a bruise, it can be annoying. Of course if I ever wore a fleece bracelet it might just spontaneously combust
    Like Chinese water torture. Of course, chains are used on ASBs for short periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    The point is:\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgAR...eature=related

We don't need or want these kind of horseman in Georgia.

The horses we saw moved liked the way this man made his horses go, it is not natural nor can you tell me you can humanely train a horse to do this.
    I'm sitting here sobbing. I couldn't even finish the video. Those poor, poor horses. I have actually spent time with and ridden TWH's and they are some of the most sweet, gently horses I have met. How could anyone watch this and turn their backs on the issue? Surely this isn't an isolated incident--the soring, the beating. Pads themselves in my opinion are grotesque and probably harmful in themselves...but this is more than disgusting. I hope the news documentary got a lot of coverage and people are waking up to the horrors of TWH abuse. No one is saying that other disciplines (I hesitate to even gratify this by calling it a "discipline") don't have abuse. The difference is that the abuse is INHERENT in TWH padded classes, whereas it's actually possible to train a horse in dressage, H/J, barrel racing, or whatever WITHOUT abuse.

Ok, now I'm not sad, I'm PISSED. I want to beat that humanoid masquerading as a "man" in the head with a pipe myself!
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I am not a fan of the TWH padded world, but these horses look a lot happier than a lot that of the videos that get thrown out there. Of course nobody knows what happens behind closed doors. I don't think their warmup looks any better or worse than what goes on in the warmup at most shows.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kasjordan View Post
    This is where you sit a happy, relaxed Walker lol.
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...Gemwalking.jpg

Out of the mouth of babes- we went to the PA National Horse Show two years ago (after owning this walking gelding for years) and the girl in that picture asked what kind of horses the TWH's were as they were peddling around the ring- absolutely could not believe they were the same breed as our guy. Wanted to know how you rode that kind of horse on the trails lol.

I'm in the to each his own camp- as long as it doesn't hurt the horse. There are just so many types of show horses that suffer what we non-high-end-show-people would consider abuse. All we can really do is make sure we don't contribute towards what offends us.
    What a sweet picture. That, indeed, is a happy horse (and a happy little girl)!
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

1 members found this post helpful.