The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Entire underbelly is sore--any ideas?

So my horse's entire underbelly is sore, from between her front legs all the way to her hindquarters. She pins her ears and tries to kick out if you touch any of her underside, but she's totally fine about her sides and topline and everything else. This happened first a couple weeks ago, but went away after a few days of not being ridden. I rode her again this week and she was still fine, but a few days later the problem in back. this is just really weird and I'm not sure what could be going on here, so any COTHers have any ideas or similar experiences?

Default Onchocerca

Go to the Thread about "something to kill Onchocerca" your horse may have that. It starts under the belly
    "An ordinary trainer cannot hear a Horse speak, a Good trainer can, a Great trainer can hear them whisper and a Top Trainer can HEAR them Think." John O'Leary

If the discomfort isn't from wound from bugs I'd be inclined to think of ulcers. Typical that the pain can come & go. You might just try a gut soothing product for a month & see if that has positive results. Good luck.
    Let us know what it is when you find out.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

If this was recurent, I would call my vet and ask for his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeltheride View Post
    Go to the Thread about "something to kill Onchocerca" your horse may have that. It starts under the belly

Wow, that thread was pretty disturbing gross! In this case though, there's no bumps or swelling or any physical outward signs of discomfort. So I don't think it would be Onchocera. It's strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    If the discomfort isn't from wound from bugs I'd be inclined to think of ulcers. Typical that the pain can come & go. You might just try a gut soothing product for a month & see if that has positive results. Good luck.
    Let us know what it is when you find out.
    I thought ulcers too, but she doesn't really seem off her feed, which seems to be a very typical symptom? She did seem uninterested in some hay I offered her last time I was out there, which was not so typical, but a couple of the other horses in her pasture weren't rooting around for the remaining hay like her, so I though maybe some of the horses out there were just full. And then she ate the grain I gave her afterwards (she loves grain).

Has anybody else had their horse display this kind of sensitivity when they had ulcers? Also, can ulcers develop mAybe from being grained irregularly?

Any other colic-like symptoms? Maybe some kind of intestional irritiation?

have you used any different shampoos or flysprays?

I am no expert, but I have an incredibly sensitibe horse haha

Quote Originally Posted by Fiera View Post
    Has anybody else had their horse display this kind of sensitivity when they had ulcers?:
    Yes - my gelding's ulcer symptoms were basically just crankiness while being brushed around his barrel (and when I put the saddle on on his back, but not when I tightened the girth which I think is strange). He was eating fine, weight was good (was gaining), performing well under saddle, no other typical ulcer signs except for the crankiness while being brushed/tacked up. His belly/sides especially, and it eventually escalated to where he was making this weird sucking-in-a-breath sound and flinching when I would even get the brush close to him. First we did a Lyme test (negative), second we scoped for ulcers. After about 2 weeks I think it was on UlcerGard, his cranky symptoms went away.

My vet told me she once treated this nice 3ft childrens hunter horse whose only symptom was that he started knocking rails. They checked hocks and everything else and came up with nothing. For whatever reason they scoped him and he had severe ulcers, one of the worst she's seen, and this horse was fat and blooming! After hearing that story and seeing how my horse was, I now know that symptoms really vary from horse to horse. I always thought they would def be going off feed as well.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

She could be at a cramp-y point in her cycle, especially if it comes & goes. I've had more than one mare object to having their tummy brushed.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by CHEvent View Post
    Any other colic-like symptoms? Maybe some kind of intestional irritiation?

have you used any different shampoos or flysprays?

I am no expert, but I have an incredibly sensitibe horse haha
    I have been using a new flyspray, that Pyrrana Spray N Wipe stuff, but I spray it all over her so I feel like it would've effected her all over her body? I have heard of some horses getting burned from it though.....

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    Yes - my gelding's ulcer symptoms were basically just crankiness while being brushed around his barrel (and when I put the saddle on on his back, but not when I tightened the girth which I think is strange). He was eating fine, weight was good (was gaining), performing well under saddle, no other typical ulcer signs except for the crankiness while being brushed/tacked up. His belly/sides especially, and it eventually escalated to where he was making this weird sucking-in-a-breath sound and flinching when I would even get the brush close to him. First we did a Lyme test (negative), second we scoped for ulcers. After about 2 weeks I think it was on UlcerGard, his cranky symptoms went away.

My vet told me she once treated this nice 3ft childrens hunter horse whose only symptom was that he started knocking rails. They checked hocks and everything else and came up with nothing. For whatever reason they scoped him and he had severe ulcers, one of the worst she's seen, and this horse was fat and blooming! After hearing that story and seeing how my horse was, I now know that symptoms really vary from horse to horse. I always thought they would def be going off feed as well.
    Hmmm, your horse's symptoms sound somewhat similar to mine...at least with the belly sensitivity. Interesting about him being less touchy to actually being girthed up. I haven't even tried to girth mine, because of her intense reaction when I just touch her underbelly, including earpinning, grunting, and kicking out. She's always been touchy with her stomach, so maybe the intense reaction is due to the pain being in an already sensitive area....Hmmm. I REALLY hope it's not ulcers.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    She could be at a cramp-y point in her cycle, especially if it comes & goes. I've had more than one mare object to having their tummy brushed.
    I thought about that, but she's never acted like this before. This has happen twice now, with probably 2 weeks inbetween incidences. The first time it only lasted a few days. This time it has been about a week.

" I thought about that, but she's never acted like this before. This has happen twice now, with probably 2 weeks inbetween incidences. The first time it only lasted a few days. This time it has been about a week. "

A horse's cycle is 3 weeks, so this is about right. Just like us, a mare's experience can vary. There's also a seasonal component. Their cycles can be a little wild spring & fall.

Ulcers are also quite plausible, but I wouldn't rule out cycle issues just because she's never had them before.

In all honesty, scoping for ulcers is probably the quickest next step. If she scopes clean, I'd suspect cycles.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

My gelding has gnat allergies that cause crusty sores on his chest belly and sheath. I use swat liberally to keep them from happeneing and he hate being touched there. Yes, I too have read the onchera thread.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    In general from mares I have been around is that they tend to get more back sore when its related to reproductive problems. There is a lot of intestines between the repro tract and the ventral abdomen.

Does she have the same energy under saddle? For some reason my thoughts go to heart conditions. Guess it's because I saw a relative whose body was all swollen, stomach and especially feet, and it was edema from a heart condition.