The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Interested in CDE

Hey there!

I have been showing minis and shetlands at the AMHA and AMHR shows, however, I have a super mare that I am kind of interested in trying CDE with. Is there anyone close by to Kelly, NC that could provide some guidance?

I have another gelding I am starting in the cart and he is unflappable so if he does not sell he may also be another for me to consider.

Thanks!!
    Dianne Phillips-Tabor ~~ Little Shiloh Farm
    AMHA~ASPC~AMHR Versatility, Driving and Halter horses
    www.littleshilohfarm.com

I would contact the Moore County Driving Club. They could point you in the right direction I'm sure.
    The problem with political jokes is that they get elected. ~ Henry Cate VII
    We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~ Aesop

You might want to wander thru older postings. There is quite a lot on doing CDE things that should be helpful.

The only thing with smaller ponies is they have to work hard in hills, making times, especially as they move up to the more skilled levels. They need to be fit, though they do seem to recover in the Vet Check section very well.

Welcome to the "dark side" of driving fun! CDE is great to enjoy with your equine and the nice folks you meet there. You may want to consider being a Volunteer at a CDE before jumping in. You can see how things are run, expectations of the Competitor, how to work so you are on time for each of your sections. Perhaps learn to time hazards for yourself, strategies of each kind of turnout and horse. LOTS of thinking in there, with great differences in how small animals do things compared to larger animals in each section. Read the Rule Book, be informed so you understand what is expected of you. Don't listen to others all the time on Rules, they change and speaker may not be current with new Rule in place. Rules can be found at the ADS website, printed off if you want a paper copy.

Check out CDE4VSE on Facebook -- it's all about CDE for minis and small ponies. Good people, great advice.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

1 members found this post helpful.

I second the Moore Driving Club, there is a ton of CDE stuff that way. Out in the middle of the state there are two other clubs. I would start that way, check out their events and go from there.