The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default eq classes limited by 6 blue ribbons

When you have an eq class whose specs say that it's open to any junior who hasn't won 6 blue ribbons does that mean 6 blue ribbons in that class? If not, then what does that mean? And how would show management know if they had won 6 blue ribbons?

Well, if it's like the maiden classes I did when I was young, no, it's blues in ANY class. And I think it's all the honor system, though maybe if those blues were in rated shows, they could probably look those up.

skyy is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

41. NJHSA Bronze Medal - A single class open to Junior Riders who have not won 6 first
    place ribbons as of Dec. 1 of the current show year. To be shown over at least 8 fences at 3’
    with one change of direction and at least one combination. Optional tests 1-7. High Score
    Award sponsored by The NJPHA/NJPHA Children’s Equitation - Same specifications as the
    NJHSA Bronze Medal. High Score sponsored by Hidden Hollow Farm & Mimi Kesselman
    42. NJPHA Mini Medal/THIS National Children's Medal
    NJPHA: Open to Junior Riders who have not won a blue ribbon in an USEF Medal, ASPCA
    Maclay or USET Medal Class prior to Dec. 1 of the current show year. To be shown over a
    course of at least 8 fences 3’ to 3’3” with or without wings. Top four riders may be called back

Here is exactly what I'm talking about. From a USEF B prizelist.

See EQ 102.5.

At USEF shows, it means riders have not won the stated number of blue ribbons in equitation classes. So wins in hunter classes do not count.

There are also equitation wins that do not count, such as walk/trot classes, classes with fewer than six entries, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    A single class open to Junior Riders who have not won 6 first
    place ribbons as of Dec. 1 of the current show year. .
    Seems pretty clear to me... You can't have won six blue ribbons in ANY class that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    You can't have won six blue ribbons in ANY class that year.
    Wait, I thought it was in total...

Wouldn't it be best to just ask the show manager or secretary?

I would think it would only be referring to ribbons in equitation classes; but when in doubt, as MHM suggest, you could always ask the show manager.

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    41. NJHSA Bronze Medal - A single class open to Junior Riders who have not won 6 first
    place ribbons as of Dec. 1 of the current show year. To be shown over at least 8 fences at 3’
    with one change of direction and at least one combination. Optional tests 1-7. High Score
    Award sponsored by The NJPHA/NJPHA Children’s Equitation - Same specifications as the
    NJHSA Bronze Medal. High Score sponsored by Hidden Hollow Farm & Mimi Kesselman
    42. NJPHA Mini Medal/THIS National Children's Medal
    NJPHA: Open to Junior Riders who have not won a blue ribbon in an USEF Medal, ASPCA
    Maclay or USET Medal Class prior to Dec. 1 of the current show year. To be shown over a
    course of at least 8 fences 3’ to 3’3” with or without wings. Top four riders may be called back

Here is exactly what I'm talking about. From a USEF B prizelist.

#41 to me sounds like in ANY classes, while #42 is only in the classes specified, but yeah, I'd call the secretary/manager and ask!

Regarding #41 - It reads 6 blue ribbons prior to Dec 1. So if you've only won one by November 30, 2012 you are welcome to compete in the class the entire 2013 year - even if you win 50 blues in 2013.

Regarding #42 - You cannot have won any USEF Medal, ASPCA Maclay or USEF Talent Search class prior to December 1, 2012 and be eligible to compete in this class. If you win any of those classes during the coming 2013 year (12/1/12-11/30/12) you WOULD still be eligible to compete in this class during the 2013 year, but not in 2014.

Additionally, beyond the show manager, I would recommend asking your trainer for clarification (and if he/she doesn't know or know how to find out, you might think about getting a new trainer) and ask the Steward as they are there at the show to make sure that the rules are upheld; therefore, they should know and understand the rules.

We have specs like this for certain divisions/classes and it is based on the honour code (although people WILL know if a kid is riding in it that doesn't qualify!). Rider cannot of won a TOTAL of 6 firsts upto this show year beginning in ANY class/division!

#42: Pretty easy to decipher, upto the beginning of this show year rider cannot of won a first ribbon in ANY of the medal classes listed.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

In the "old" days, we had a ladder system, that worked really well for dividing equitation classes so that riders would be competing against other riders of similar ability and experience.

The complete explanation is still in the USEF Equitation rules:

5. Maiden, Novice, Limit, Intermediate.

a. Open to riders that have not won one/three/six/twelve first place ribbons respectively com- peting in equitation classes at Regular and Local Competitions of USEF or Equine Canada. The Maiden, Novice, Limit and Intermediate status of riders at Regular and Local Competitions is determined from the closing date of entries. Blue ribbons won in the Hunter section will not affect a rider’s status in the Saddle or Stock sections, etc. Ribbons won in classes restricted to a particular breed will affect a rider’s status. Ribbons won as a junior affect a rider’s status when competing as an adult.

b. Ribbons won in leadline classes and in classes where entries are not required to ride at all gaits will not affect Maiden, Novice, Limit and Intermediate status.

c. In the Hunter Seat section, ribbons won in classes not to jump do not affect a rider’s status in classes over jumps. However, ribbons won in classes over jumps do affect a rider’s status in classes not to jump. Ribbons won in classes with less than six (6) entries do not affect a rider’s status. Ribbons won in short stirrup classes and in classes over obstacles lower than 2’3” will not be counted in reckoning Maiden, Novice, Limit, Intermediate or Open status.

If your local association has borrowed from this format to create its own standard for eligibility, you should contact someone in authority there to clarify anything you don't understand about their specifications.