The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My dog's file probably indicates that she's a restraint-phobic slinky with a helicopter mom.

The dane's says "pansy". He is.

I've seen allllll of my animals' files over the years... long, long term client with many pets and curb score creatures. The evilest feline's said "cujokitty". New vet at the practice didn't read that when I had to leave evil for fluids... I warned him, he laughed and said "Oh, we'll be ok, we have plenty of tough ones." He called an hour later and said "....so this is one.... very special cat you've got here!"

The much-beloved rottie's had her name in a big heart like a school girls' notebook and it was about a quarter mile thick. My vet cried when we put her down. I like to think it was sentimental rather than loss of income.

How many of you know what the files say about YOU? The practice I worked at used a little sun to note clients who were, y'know, little rays of sunshine.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    How many of you know what the files say about YOU? The practice I worked at used a little sun to note clients who were, y'know, little rays of sunshine.
    I definitely have note on clients files about them!! Forgot to add one to a dog I groomed yesterday.
    I fit this lady in during a time when we were really busy to be nice. Had done her dogs a few times but didn't remember her. She came in and bitched and complained about the look of past grooms, the fact that they 'don't last', the cost of the grooms being the more expensive than her friend's dog of a different breed, and said that no matter where she took it she had these problems. She wanted the head less rounded, so I said I would see what I could do. She repeated this multiple times even after I told her I would fix it. Really wanted to tell her that I didn't appreciate the rudeness and she didn't have to come to me for grooming, but I stayed polite. But her file will now say 'Do not squeeze this dog in. Owner is very rude.' I don't give bad clients special privileges like I do my good clients.

We used euphemisms in our files..."sharp" was the one for cats.

I just got my cat's records from his ER visit last week. At home he is a DOLL, never a hiss or a growl, you can do anything to him, he even runs right back to you after you abuse him with clippers or meds.

His check-ins throughout the day had escalating descriptions as he started to come out of sedation. My favorite was "fractious & uncooperative" at 16:45.

He really hates it at the vet, which causes me even more distress if I have to leave hi

Well, the groomer that just totally screwed up my collie's grooming by shaving her legs, trimming her feathers and pants and coat overall and cutting the white out of her tail after being given explicit instructions on what a collie groom looks like? And then telling me I don't know what a collie groom looks like when I pick her up? I know what it says. B!tch. Fine. Yes I am. And I'm still pissed two days later. Lost my cocker as a client too (steady every 8 weeks appointment).

P.S. Thank you for allowing me to vent.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Our files have a discreet red dot next to the pet's name on the sticker. In the "notes" in the electronic file (which do NOT print!) we make detached and clinical sounding notes regarding the pet's reaction and level of restraint necessary.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Not on the front of her folder more like the front of her cage.
    We have one cat I inherited a month before I was going to move. I couldn't get near the thing. To get her in the crate took a winter jacket and welding gloves. We called her psychokitty.
    Since she had not been to the vet for three years prior to my getting her we dropped her at a vet that is not my normal vet. They did non medical boarding and I left for for the weekend of the move. I was VERY clear on the paperwork cat would bite, scratch and was downright nasty. Yes, had shown previous aggression. Signed extra paperwork to have her tranq'd for her exam.
    Came to pick her up a couple of days later. Note on front of crate was Only Owner to Remove from Crate. They loaned us animal handling gloves.

I later found out from a friend of mine who was a tech there that the young arrogant vet decided that he didn't need to tran'q nice little DSH kitty. Apparently vet's blood was all over the exam table.
    In the long run it pissed me off. The cat had ear mites and tapeworm that went undetected since he couldn't examine her.

She came to me with the name of Spider. We now call her Jazz. At my regular vet's office she has been fine.

Our master folder had a drawing of a urinary tract. I know there were other drawings too from when the vet would explain things to us.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Well, the groomer that just totally screwed up my collie's grooming by shaving her legs, trimming her feathers and pants and coat overall and cutting the white out of her tail after being given explicit instructions on what a collie groom looks like? And then telling me I don't know what a collie groom looks like when I pick her up? I know what it says. B!tch. Fine. Yes I am. And I'm still pissed two days later. Lost my cocker as a client too (steady every 8 weeks appointment).

P.S. Thank you for allowing me to vent.
    Pics, please! I wanna see this pro collie groom.

Our German Shepherd: BIG, knows commands
    Our Pit Bull: Jumps high

The first time we boarded our German Shepherd at the new Vet's office, the kennel tech told the other kennel tech, "he's BIG and strong!" The second kennel tech told me she walked up to his kennel, talked to him and said, "can you sit?" and he did. She said, "wait" and opened his kennel, slipped a leash on and went through with "sit" and "wait" and "heel." The first kennel tech said, "why didn't I think of trying that first?" lol
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Only comment I ever saw on any of my kitties' files was for Oliver, very sick as a tiny kitten. Ollie is a shaded silver persian. When vet left file in with us while we waited for test results I noticed file contained a notation that said "very BAR." When I asked they said BAR stood for bright, alert, and responsive, and he sure is, to this day!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!