The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anesthesia for neutering

I have a 6mos old Aussie who needs to be neutered. My local vet said they always put the dogs under a general anesthesia for this, but I guess have some concerns about it. Not with the neutering, he definitely will get done, but with the general.

Is this common practice for young dogs? Can they give the dog a sedative and use a local numbing agent instead? I guess I would understand for a spay, but a neuter seems to be relatively straightforward.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but after losing my old dog this year, I couldn't bear to lose this puppy as well.

I have had all the dogs that I have fostered neutered under anesthesia. I have never heard it being offered another way. Do they usually keep them awake?
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Generally they give a regular anesthetic. Have them do presurgical bloodwork if you are concerned but he should be fine.
    Cortsisone cream applied on the shaved areas, but NOT on incision will help keep prickly, shaved area from itching making them want to lick/chew. Boys underwear turned backwards so tail comes out crotch can be more comfortable for them than the elizabethan collar (Cone of shame). They also make soft collars that are more comfortable for dogs to wear that you can order in advance.

Yes, general anesthesia is the norm for neutering.

It's my understanding that general anesthesia is far safer than only IV sedation.

General is the norm for dogs... you might be thinking of cat neuters- they are often done with just an injection anesthesia.

Ruth - yes, I think it's cat neuters I must be thinking of. I thought they could do dogs that way too, but I guess not.
    I had a friend who lost a foal under general anesthesia, and I have my own unhealthy fears about it personally, so I'm likely projecting. They do so many, I would think the odds are in our favor.
    Thanks for the replies!

Yep. You should have no concerns for a healthy pup to handle a general anesthetic. I know you feel paranoid, but GA these days with the current type of drugs and monitoring equipment is very safe.

If it makes you feel better, ask for a senior technician to do the anesthetic.

Dog neuters (at least here) are always done under GA and in the OR. Cat neuters are often done with propofol only (no gas) at spay/neuter clinics, but still done under GA and in the OR here for sterility reasons.

I had my male great dane neutered with only a local, not even a sedative. The vet had concerns that the breed doesn't handle general anesthesia very well, and a male neuter is so simple, so why not? the whole thing took less than ten minutes and the dog acted like nothing had happened to him. I held his head and distracted him by talking to him, the vet numbed him and rapidly sliced and stitched, he didn't react or struggle at all, the site healed rapidly and cleanly.

In general though a young healthy dog shouldn't have any problems with general anesthesia- it's pretty safe these days.