The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's on your pet's file folder?

I was at the vet's yesterday getting Pixel T. Kitten vaccinated, and I saw the two file folders in our account. On the front of each was written an assessment.

For Pixel: Precious

For Lucy Cat: Cujo

(In my defense, I *told* them Lucy is a tamed feral and can revert under stress. They laughed at me. Once.)

I was thinking that my most recent horse's folder probably said "Needs bubble wrap" or possibly "Woot-- $$ for kitchen reno."

So ... what's on your pet's file folder at the vet's?
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

My boxer's probably says "month in Mexico" She's ridiculously accident prone!

I'm pretty sure Tita's said something along the lines of "Use the cat muzzle. Seriously." I loved that cat, and she was good with my family, but she was pretty hostile toward the vet. And other cats. My husband affectionately dubbed her "foul Hellbeast." As often seems to be the case with pets who have less than ideal personalities, she lived to a ripe old age and then died in her sleep.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

My Great Dane's probably goes something along the lines of "Do not tie, do not cage, do not confine. WILL go through doors, leashes, or metal to get to owner out front if left alone." Mine is also another "Will be back soon to pay for next Hawaii vacation" type....

Whatever was written on my old cat's file wasn't enough. We used her as an object lesson for new receptionists/techs: if an owner says a pet needs a caution sticker, listen to them.

The only time she ever stayed overnight at the hospital was when a tech was able to get her out of the kennel unassisted. Without running any tests, the vet called to tell me she was clearly very sick and needed to stay. I got to bring her home when she started hissing again.

I don't know about our 4"-thick folder, but do know that when "Ming the Merciless" has gone in, they stick a big "CAREFUL" sticker on the carrier - lol!!!

My last Siberian had a letter in his folder that said "Owner refuses to allow staff to restrain dog" or something along those lines. I was pretty pissed when I happened to see it because I don't have any issue with staff restraining my dog. Since I'd known some of the vet techs for years, I asked one about it. She said that it didn't make any sense because I had never stopped them from restraining my dog. She went and got the letter, tore it up, and put it in the trash.

Much like Bacardi, I have a rather thick file, but it never fails that the receptionist can't find it when I go in. I find myself repeating, "It's the 4" thick one with x-rays sticking out of it in every direction" every time I go for an appointment.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

When I picked up my lab after surgery the vet told me he was a Momma's boy. Turns out he tried to dig his way out of the kennel. They had to sedate him.

He loves his kennel at home. Poor Murphy, he just doesn't do well on sleep overs I guess.

My old collie, Dakota, in her younger days was "the wild Injun".
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My first dog's file would have said, "owner is very nice and loves her dog, but clearly is a poor college student". "Do tests on the sly"

I love my vet, when my first dog was having bladder issues she would tell me, " well his sample just Happened to fall into the machine so I HAD to run the test, dont worry about the cost, it was my clumsy mistake".

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    My first dog's file would have said, "owner is very nice and loves her dog, but clearly is a poor college student". "Do tests on the sly"

I love my vet, when my first dog was having bladder issues she would tell me, " well his sample just Happened to fall into the machine so I HAD to run the test, dont worry about the cost, it was my clumsy mistake".
    That's so sweet!

Very few of my small animals have had issues. Just my heart kitty (RIP) Desmond, who even at the age of 19 was a force to be reckoned with. I loved that cat beyond all reason and except for a handful of stress/panic situations over the years, I believe the feeling was mutual. (Three of those situations ended up with me doing the course of antibiotics and I still sport some scarring!) But no matter what, visits to the vet were a challenge.

I changed my opening line at the vet to "underestimate this cat at your own peril". I think my file probably said "and she's NOT KIDDING!"
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

My evil Corgi has "Will Bite" written across the inside of his file in red Sharpie. He turns into cujo at the first sign of a needle or nail clipper.

A couple of weeks ago my Dane was in for his shots and they took him to the back and after about 30 seconds I hear them yelling my name so I dashed to the back to see him doing an army-crawl across the floor dragging the vet and two techs. He wanted his mommy to hold his big sweet head. lol, after I got back there he stood pretty well.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Our dogs would be labelled as "do whatever you want--they won't move an inch." thank goodness. They're perfect for being examined, nails clipped, vaccines etc. The worst they do is plop over and lay down in submission. The vet loves their demeanor.

Our rescue cats are decent. One is perfection, and doesn't need a carrier at all. He sits on my lap and even sat nicely when getting his gouged out eye looked at with no sedative.

Other rescue cat is terrified. His note would say "scaredy cat." he is so sad at the vet, and meows loudly, but acts very well, except when the temp is taken. I think this stems from when he was 3 weeks old and had the normal sized thermometer up his butt. I've never seen a kitty that determined to leave!!!

One of my geldings on the other hand, would probably have a nasty name on his file. "needs to be sedated" and "will pay kids college tuition" would be written on his. Lucky for him, he has a patient mom and vet...
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Lance probably has something like, "Will lick you to death". He loves the vet - to him, the poking and prodding is an OK trade-off for the experience of getting to interact with extra people.

Simon's a complete shrinking violet but he stress-sheds so much that his notes probably include something about keeping a vacuum cleaner handy for after we leave.

My old lab/chow/greyhound mix had "owner restrain" on his file. He would allow anything if I held him. If a tech tried to hold him, well, let's just say it never happened. The ONE time I tried to drop him off at the vet because his face swelled and I had to work, I got a call when I was half way to work to come get him. They couldn't get him out of the kennel. He had backed himself into the back of the run and was a ball of very angry teeth. They tried to noose him with a catch pole, and he kept snagging the loop in his teeth and then wouldn't let go. I walked in, and he calmly got up and came over to me. Then he got treated and I took him home. The time he had to be sedated for a biopsy, I sat with him the whole time on the floor. He was a great dog otherwise though.

Ioz the cat likely has "This is one wierd cat" written across his file. Duncan the cat has "sweetheart" on his. The three kittens are just cute as heck, and so far all I hear is "awwwwww....." when they are seen. Izzy the cattle dog has "will bite...really" on hers, and Casey the boxer likely has "lol" on his because he lives to make people laugh.

Tilly is under her full name, Attilla the Hun. We used to insist on women vets and assistants till low, she felt the hand of a male, bigger and badder than her.
    She is a compliant cat under the hand of our big male vet.

My tb is under "gentlemanly " except he absolutely needed to be drugged when my other horse had to go to the hospital. He will rear and throw himself against the walls of his stall if his "brother" gets out of sight (22 years of being together, they're like those male muppets Ernie and Bert ?).

And my recently departed Missy? She's under "likes to nap a lot and doesn't care to socialize." Never mean, just got up on a chair and napped at the boarding place and ignored all the other loose cats. She had her dignity and her age.
    Last edited by Chall; Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

I don't think I have anything written *on* the file, since all the vet techs know me and all my pets by name, sight, and prescriptions immediately--I have two dogs and three cats and just about everybody has some sort of medical issue. The vet's number is one of my top 5 "faves" in my phone, and when I walk in, as soon as they say "Hi, Sarah!" they've already got my file pulled up and have grabbed whatever I'm coming for before I have a chance to ask for it. So I'm pretty sure whatever warnings or notes come with all my animals are probably internalized by now...

Then again, I am pretty sure I paid off all their student loans single-handedly.

Dixie's probably says "Bouncy. Sit on head for shots." She thinks that everything is just. so. exciting.

The calico's says "Lovely until under pressure... then don goggles." She spits like a snake.

Milo? "Orange Bastard" It's literally written in his file. It speaks volumes about the little dear .

Everytime I walk into the clinic to pay for the vet's new truck/x-ray machine/addition to his house, the tech handling the transaction asks "And what horse is this for?" When I respond, Willow, they all get this scared look in their eye and say "Oooh... Willow. Okay." Then there is much whispering as I'm leaving "THAT'S the lady that owns the horse I was telling you about. The one that almost killed/maimed/decapitated/ (pick one) last year/last week/yesterday."
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

The only one who has earned a notation on her folder is my cat, Zelda. it reads: "Caution 10/10".
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I'm reasonably certain that my cat's file folder says BEST CAT - EVER! on it.

He falls asleep on the exam table. He once continued to sleep while they shaved his little arm to take blood....and he yawned sleepily through the actual needle part, looking utterly unconcerned.

When he had an infected bite (which he got out in the wild after escaping from the house), it abscessed and was completely gross, and I could still clean and dress the wound while he just laid on my lap. Pills? Shots? Baths? No problemo.

Every vet he's met has been crazy about him.
    Whatever.

My old guy would have had WILL BITE AND MEAN IT! on his file. But he was an old barn kitty turned house cat after getting some 20+ staples in his head. He was sweet but grouchy with me on a normal day but I think the staples and vets stressed him out. (He had a fly lay a larva on the top of his head - it was nasty.)

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ent=segal2.jpg

He was a cool old man, though. Had a hard life for the majority of it but a soft ending.