The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    100 acre parcel in Graham is .........becoming rarer.
    Yes, and from browsing the reader comments from the various news reports ….all second hand…. it has been implied that the county has wanted the property for a dump for several years.

Wonder if the property is free and clear?

Outside of the sentimental attachment of the owner most of the horses have little to no monetary value. If auctioned a lot of them would probably go to the kill buyer without safeguards in place that is just the sad reality of the times we live. It looks like many are old and will be hard to place period as there are just not that many willing to take on expensive pasture ornaments that someone else had in their glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post

I also think it's interesting how being "unhandled" is being framed as abusive (which I do agree with from a personal POV, but not from a legal POV)
    yeah, so, all the BLM mustangs are unhandled, therefore, abused?

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    yeah, so, all the BLM mustangs are unhandled, therefore, abused?
    It’s doubtful most of these people doing the seizing have any idea of herd dynamics or for that matter how to even read a horse. If they did and would take a few minutes to figure things out prior to barging into a herd they would make it a whole lot easier on themselves and lessen the risk of injury to the horses.

My guess is this group of mostly older horses is not as wild and dangerous as the County Auditor is leading people to believe with her numerous TV and print statements. Moreover there are some Arabians, especially mares who are just standoffish with a stranger.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    I'm not going by anything Fairfax said. I'm going by what I saw and didn't see on that video. Something just doesn't smell right to me. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully we can follow this and find out one way or the other.

I stand by what I said about those horses generating easy money. They are healthy. If/when they go up for adoption, they will go fast and will cost little to nothing for whoever is footing the bill because they will have donations to cover costs. The adoption fees will be like free money to them.

As for the witness, I was on another board where someone was complaining about the conditions of her neighbor's horses. They didn't feed grain, not even to growing babies, they didn't handle them, there was no barn. OMG take them away! The horse were given hay regularly and had a pond for water, trees for shelter, and were in good condition. But that person really believed those horses should be removed.

Sure the conditions in the barn were bad. I"m not saying they weren't. I'm just saying sometimes one person's idea of bad conditions (IE the whole property, not the barn) wouldn't be considered bad to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia Dalek View Post
    I have raised horses and lived in Pierce County in the past and I still have family there so I have some experience.

First I don't think there was any rescue involved in this seizure. The last rescue (Ripley's) PCAC worked with on horses collected 25 horses from a similar poor conditions situation and decided that 12 were not adoptable. They then walked them down the road and shot all 12 in the head. This included 3 who were being kept as evidence for the case. Needless to say the case fell apart. So Pierce County Animal Control is not favorably disposed to rescues. Especially where legal issues are involved.

In Washington state AC is under Dog Licensing which is under the county auditor (Julie Anderson). She is very political. But she is also very cheap when it comes to spending money on any animal issue (PCAC spent $60K on a bunch of seized Great Danes just 5 years ago under a different Auditor).

The county is going to have to spend $60 a month to take care of these 39 (Counties are not efficient). Julie would never do this for the horses welfare. Something else is at work here.

Julia, I had to respond to your comments, as many of them are just plain incorrect. First of all, as the past Director of Ripley's Horse Aid Foundation (RAHF) for Pierce County, I have heard every ridiculous, outrageous, and outright lie about the RELINQUISHMENT (give up or abandon;to let go or surrender; to put aside or detest;to cease holding physically;release) from the Darlene Wilson case, including the one above, (yours). "They walked them down the road and shot all twelve in the head." But, I think this one takes the cake, and it's a bold faced lie. That case was successful for the prosecution, convicted of three counts of Animal Cruelty in the second degree. But, we're not here to talk about that one.. -another time, trust me).

I have known the Diller's for close to twenty years. John is one of the kindest persons I have ever known. Ask any of his patients or any one who KNOWS him and they will tell you the same thing. Early 90's we care leased one of his older broodmares, she was broke to ride and a sweetheart. My girls learned to ride from her. Then around 1995 I bought a horse from them, a purebred Arabian by Negatraz that they paid a $12,000 stud fee for. Back in the eighty's it wasn't unheard of to pay those kind fees, especially from a top producing Bask son. He was a finished Country Engilsh pleasure horse. As the years went by, they bred more horses, the market declined, and with that many horses, they couldn't afford to have them all sent off to trainers. They have not bred a horse for FIVE years. They live on a 100 acre piece of land, that the majority is hayed every year.
    Their herd consists of mostly old broodmares, many in their thirty's. They introduced some draft blood, hoping the Arabian sport-horse market would help with sales of the younger ones. We all know what happened with the economy.

Last Friday November 9th, I sat through 8+ solid hours of testimony and evidence at their hearing for the return of their horses. After the most fascinating and exhausting day in court, they have been awarded their horses back, ..WITH stipulations, that I don't have time to go into right now. What bothers me the most, are untrue and harmful lies and assumptions. I will address the DEA involvement briefly. A former employee that was fired from John's office applied for unemployment benefits and was denied. She lied on her application and was caught. She promised revenge, and called the DEA and said he was illegally prescribing prescriptions, which of course was untrue. There were some filled RX's that seemed excessively high in numbers. John accepts Medicare and Medicaid, many Doc's don't. He has a lot of nursing home patients, etc. Several of his patients are in the 400-600 lb range (really). If they are taking pain meds at the rate of 4-6 every 3-4 hours, on average that's 900 pills a month! The DEA raided his downtown Puyallup office, sent patients in the waiting rooms and exam rooms to the local hospital, then, went and raided his home. They found nothing. Nothing except what looked like to them, uncared for horses. PCAC was brought in flipped over all the water buckets that were in the stalls into the isle-way and Auditor Julie Anderson is thinking, WOW, The Feds!!!! Here's my chance to show voter's how tough on abuser's I am and how knowledgable I am (night eyes??).
    The Diller's were told they would have to pay $350 per horse per month for their "board" that was all donated by volunteers (including feed), That's nearly 20 grand a month. The Diller's have have been inundated with friends and neighbors that have come in and completely refurbished their barns, added more paddocks connected to stalls, made repairs, and generally cleaned the place up. Two reputable vets (NOT Dr. Brisky) testified at the hearing strongly in their favor, were both shocked to hear they had been seized. Numerous neighbors and friends testified they would help maintain the improvements made. They proved to the court these horses had been treated by vets, and their farrier, they had over 6 thousand bales of clean hay, alfalfa, supplements and senior feed. If they had just been given ONE warning, it would have taken care of the problem. Why did Darlene Wilson get 15 years of complaints, and I had to send written 7 statements by witnesses to our local politicians before they could get Julie to DO something? It just doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by Rsuaveone; Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo

1 members found this post helpful.

900 pills per month is too many, no matter how fat you are. This doctor might get out of the drug charge on a technicality, but he sounds fishy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    900 pills per month is too many, no matter how fat you are. This doctor might get out of the drug charge on a technicality, but he sounds fishy as hell.
    What technicality? Not finding any evidence isn't a technicality. It's not as if they searched his place without a warrant and the evidence was withheld for violating his right against unlawful search and seizure. They just didn't find anything. And I believe the 900 pills things was an example given by the previous poster, not something the DEA found in his Rx records.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

WOW just WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Rsuaveone View Post
    Julia, I had to respond to your comments, as many of them are just plain incorrect. First of all, as the past Director of Ripley's Horse Aid Foundation (RAHF) for Pierce County, I have heard every ridiculous, outrageous, and outright lie about the RELINQUISHMENT (give up or abandon;to let go or surrender; to put aside or detest;to cease holding physically;release) from the Darlene Wilson case, including the one above, (yours). "They walked them down the road and shot all twelve in the head." But, I think this one takes the cake, and it's a bold faced lie. That case was successful for the prosecution, convicted of three counts of Animal Cruelty in the second degree. But, we're not here to talk about that one.. -another time, trust me).

I have known the Diller's for close to twenty years. John is one of the kindest persons I have ever known. Ask any of his patients or any one who KNOWS him and they will tell you the same thing. Early 90's we care leased one of his older broodmares, she was broke to ride and a sweetheart. My girls learned to ride from her. Then around 1995 I bought a horse from them, a purebred Arabian by Negatraz that they paid a $12,000 stud fee for. Back in the eighty's it wasn't unheard of to pay those kind fees, especially from a top producing Bask son. He was a finished Country Engilsh pleasure horse. As the years went by, they bred more horses, the market declined, and with that many horses, they couldn't afford to have them all sent off to trainers. They have not bred a horse for FIVE years. They live on a 100 acre piece of land, that the majority is hayed every year.
    Their herd consists of mostly old broodmares, many in their thirty's. They introduced some draft blood, hoping the Arabian sport-horse market would help with sales of the younger ones. We all know what happened with the economy.

Last Friday November 9th, I sat through 8+ solid hours of testimony and evidence at their hearing for the return of their horses. After the most fascinating and exhausting day in court, they have been awarded their horses back, ..WITH stipulations, that I don't have time to go into right now. What bothers me the most, are untrue and harmful lies and assumptions. I will address the DEA involvement briefly. A former employee that was fired from John's office applied for unemployment benefits and was denied. She lied on her application and was caught. She promised revenge, and called the DEA and said he was illegally prescribing prescriptions, which of course was untrue. There were some filled RX's that seemed excessively high in numbers. John accepts Medicare and Medicaid, many Doc's don't. He has a lot of nursing home patients, etc. Several of his patients are in the 400-600 lb range (really). If they are taking pain meds at the rate of 4-6 every 3-4 hours, on average that's 900 pills a month! The DEA raided his downtown Puyallup office, sent patients in the waiting rooms and exam rooms to the local hospital, then, went and raided his home. They found nothing. Nothing except what looked like to them, uncared for horses. PCAC was brought in flipped over all the water buckets that were in the stalls into the isle-way and Auditor Julie Anderson is thinking, WOW, The Feds!!!! Here's my chance to show voter's how tough on abuser's I am and how knowledgable I am (night eyes??).
    The Diller's were told they would have to pay $350 per horse per month for their "board" that was all donated by volunteers (including feed), That's nearly 20 grand a month. The Diller's have have been inundated with friends and neighbors that have come in and completely refurbished their barns, added more paddocks connected to stalls, made repairs, and generally cleaned the place up. Two reputable vets (NOT Dr. Brisky) testified at the hearing strongly in their favor, were both shocked to hear they had been seized. Numerous neighbors and friends testified they would help maintain the improvements made. They proved to the court these horses had been treated by vets, and their farrier, they had over 60 thousand bales of clean hay, alfalfa, supplements and senior feed. If they had just been given ONE warning, it would have taken care of the problem. Why did Darlene Wilson get 15 years of complaints, and I had to send written 7 statements by witnesses to our local politicians before they could get Julie to DO something? It just doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsuaveone View Post

The Diller's were told they would have to pay $350 per horse per month for their "board" that was all donated by volunteers (including feed), That's nearly 20 grand a month. The Diller's have have been inundated with friends and neighbors that have come in and completely refurbished their barns, added more paddocks connected to stalls, made repairs, and generally cleaned the place up. Two reputable vets (NOT Dr. Brisky) testified at the hearing strongly in their favor, were both shocked to hear they had been seized. Numerous neighbors and friends testified they would help maintain the improvements made. They proved to the court these horses had been treated by vets, and their farrier, they had over 60 thousand bales of clean hay, alfalfa, supplements and senior feed. If they had just been given ONE warning, it would have taken care of the problem. Why did Darlene Wilson get 15 years of complaints, and I had to send written 7 statements by witnesses to our local politicians before they could get Julie to DO something? It just doesn't seem right.
    Glad you were THERE for a first hand account. Notice how the arm chair critics have now been silenced...AGAIN....

Not only is there more to the story...wasn't that considered by some here to be those conspiracy tin foil hatters going at it again?...and now...yes...there was way more to the story. Rights have been trampled...oh...then there are those who say it can NEVER HAPPEN . Have another similar case back east...messy with lots of LIES from the AC...

3 members found this post helpful.

"MandyVA,"

Thank-you, it was "just an example." Sometimes you wonder what happened to common sense, it's just not so common anymore.
    Last edited by Rsuaveone; Nov. 14, 2012 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Do not believe one word regarding this seizure

My state government contact tells me this is not adding up

If the stalls were filled with 12 inches of manure..how come the grey horse is clearn?

There is no evidence of matted manes or tails. Water was in the stalls. The thin horse has been identified as 30 years old and she is not all that thin

The owner is a doctor

If all the horses were locked away in the barn "for months" how come it took them nine hours to round them up

I suspect the horses were just put into the barn. Since the photos show them unloaded from a trailer (wild horses going in and out of trailers?..not likely..especially the way the one unloaded..no problems..) AND the hooves were in okay shape.

This does not appear to be abuse . I have NEVER known D.E.A. to be involved in a horse rescue.

Nah...this is not a rescue case..there is something else going on here
    From the comment section, apparantly the DEA raided the Dr.s house looking for drugs and they came up empty, to save face they had to do something.

My money is on an attempted land grab.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Anderson is a Liberal Progressive lackey who is completely owned by the Dem Party here in WA. The Dems loff them some HSUS too.

I didn't drive by but I think I will be calling the ole Auditors office on Monday. I'm very, very politically active and the chance to pop off at her corrupt liberal staff is very enticing. I might even go down there Thursday afternoon, why not
    Do it.
    If no one stands up to bullies they don't have a reason to stop.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Oh I did, I frequently contact them
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Glad you were THERE for a first hand account. Notice how the arm chair critics have now been silenced...AGAIN....

Not only is there more to the story...wasn't that considered by some here to be those conspiracy tin foil hatters going at it again?...and now...yes...there was way more to the story. Rights have been trampled...oh...then there are those who say it can NEVER HAPPEN . Have another similar case back east...messy with lots of LIES from the AC...
    There's our ol' pal Fairfax...for someone who considers himself a "friend of the horses", he seems to never have found a hoarder he didn't make it his mission to exonerate! He accused my local group of all kinds of wrongdoing several years ago and he was wrong on 100 percent of it. Why doesn't he focus on the abusers where the attention belongs?

While he has illustrious "sources" they are almost always wrong (ever wonder why a legitimate news reporter would take such drivel seriously) and his understanding of the laws and procedures here in the USA is comically misguided...

4 members found this post helpful.

Default Here we go again

Welcome to COTH Bruce aka I Knowda Palameana when I see's one"

Gosh..were you not the employer of Shauna who authorized the destruction of three horses based on her claim she was a registered Vet Tech and YOU as director didn't check her educational standards?

Were you not part of the group who seized the horses AT NIGHT during the coldest night and put an OLD MARE GRANNY in with four colts in a small trailer and they knocked her down and trampled her...breaking her hip and a leg and didn't you decide a vet did not need to be called and were you not the one who supported Shauna with her demand the volunteers drag the mare out onto the cement by her tail AND LEAVE HER THERE ON THE COLT CEMENT until 7 am before a vet was called as you did not want to pay the night time fee? This is all documented.

And did you not just go home to your warm bed during this...oh./.did I mention that one of the women involved with the seizure was charged, on her way home with a DUI?

Did you beat the charges where it was alleged you aimed your car at three women in the parking lot and tried to hit them..they were a witness for the defence?

Did you not FIRE a long term employee after you became confused...her SISTER was photographed holding a protest sign and you thought it was your employee..How did that one turn out for you...her name was Kathy????

AND how about the fact the woman CALLED YOUR DEPARTMENT FOR HELP and all you did was seize her horses and have her charged.

Most of all you are remembers by THOUSANDS WORLD WIDE as the MAN WHO AUTHORIZED THE KILLING OF GRANNY....when I say world wide the courts were flooded with emails and letters from over 20 countries.

Funny how a vet from YOUR local clinic who had only a general license WAS GIVEN A PASS by the judge when a vet with 25 years EQUINE experience was objected to by the prosecution 22 out of 25 times. Even the Port Clinton Newspaper mentioned this...I remember YOUR favourite judge lost his bid 3rd out of 3 to move up to the supreme court for the state of Ohio.

YEAH BRUCE...ya killed an old mare...let her painfully LIE ALL NIGHT on the cement. We have the testimony of the young volunteer who tried to cover her and stayed with her all night trying to comfort her WHILE YOU WENT HOME FOR COCKTAILS AND A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP...

SHAME ON YOU BRUCE....did I mention that many of your volunteers ...remember the nice ladies who collected the money from the boxes QUIT ON YOU due to your treatment of the horses..

Oh..and as a last point...did not your wonderful EQUINE DIRECTOR (with no experience) have a small problem...she told the volunteers to REDUCE THE FEED so the evidence would not be changed? Yup...our dear fiend...I mena friend..Nancy...

COTH has been suffering a lack of scandal for a while. Great to see you want to open this up....by the way...the family in this case also were not hoarders.

DID I also mention your EQUINE FAKE TECH STOLE ONE OF THE STALLIONS? Remember she was ordered to return the stallion...how about the local president of the Arabian Horse club who conveniently had two of the horses shipped to hger boyfriends hoome rather than to the fairgrounds.

The sloppy seizure without warrant has been documented and used as an example all across the U.S.A. as to a break in ALL protocols.

Just so the readers know..only a couple of volunteers and your fake tech actually had any experience with horses...you had NONE and yet "the buck stops with me..." was your statement as you stood behyind your presidential decree...until your credibility came under question.

The case still isn't over due to the suit against the defence lawyer ....it is alleged he sold out in his quest for a professional upgrade to judgedom heaven...

Simply Put.....No, no no and nope.
    Your "facts" were as bizarrely off-base in the Vess case as they undoubtedly are in your latest myopic crusade. You can never be underestimated for your creativity in taking tidbits of information and putting them together in an admittedly entertaining, but 100% wrong way.

By the way,just as another example, the case against the defense lawyer was dismissed in September, just so your "facts" are correct. That means every aspect of the case is over. We won every aspect of the trial despite your protestations and best efforts to sabotage. None of the lawsuits you threatened ever happened and it is now too late to file any. Your (former?) pals from ARM ($$$) tried but were rejected.... Our whole community is now enjoying the new shelter the HS built!

4 members found this post helpful.

Sorry Bruce...you may have won but the bottom line is other agencies have "studied" your seizure and use it as how NOT to conduct it...unsafe conditions...DRUNK volunteers...(I am looking for the transcript of the charge)...and

YOU KILLED GRANNY...and let her suffer on the COLD CEMENT all night long. We have notorized statements from volunteers.

How about the court order for the return of the stallion (who it was said had been purchased from Sheil Varian for one million dollars decades before..he was now in his twenties)

How about the show gelding and the mare who disappeared...remember Karen? her boyfriend...all of a sudden the horses FINALLY arrived at the show grounds.

Here is a post on this tread from yet ANOTHER who was very famiar with the case

7arabians
    Regala,
    Obviously, you are trying to use reason to make this situation make sense. The problem is that we have documented too many various seizures where actions were completely unreasonable.
    For instance, as Fairfax has mentioned, the Vess case showed that the 'rescuers' purposely withheld feed in an attempt to 'preserve the evidence' which resulted in additional weight loss.

During transport, we documented that Berryletta V. (in her upper 20's) was loaded into a 4-horse trailer with FOUR young colts during a 6-degree night and driven 25 miles to a fairground in the next county. Of course, she slipped on the unpadded floor and went down. The 'rescuers' heard and felt the mare fall, but kept trucking. When they reached their destination, Berryletta V., was mortally wounded by being trampled by the 4 colts the whole way there. And of course, she was dragged out and left to suffer for hours until a vet was finally called in the morning to end her suffering.

In seizure after seizure, we are seeing the 'rescuers' run to the media screaming 'this is the largest seizure in the history of _____' It is as if they are looking for the "next big seizure" and are willing to do anything to find it.
    Has anyone questioned how the auditor has come up with that $40,000 figure so quickly? What is she basing that on?
    Who knows whether the doctor was running a pill mill. With the Feds involved, anything is possible. But does anyone believe that once the DEA notified the locals about these horses, they weren't going to seize them no matter what? Anderson had little choice but to go with the flow and hope for the best. Don't disregard the info from the vet and farrier. These horses would never have been seized if not for the DEA who undoubtedly made their desires very clear to Anderson. They will impact a suspect in any way they can to force a plea bargain and avoid a trial. Nearly all of the 'pill mill' cases are being plea-bargained. It is amazing how much damage this case has caused and nobody has even been charged with anything yet! .

Bruce...you just can't hide and that has been your problem...remember how you went to the Sheriff's office and claimed I was going to fly down to Ohio and you needed protection? HAHAHAHAHA...now that was truly funny....

YOU KILLED GRANNY due to your arrogance and incompetance.

Berryletta V

Eh..Bruce...Remember Shauna's brother...the one who was a police officer who also attended the seizure and threatened Robin with arrest if she tried to call a lawyer? You ...meaning Sandusky County Humane Society actually had him as the HEAD OF YOUR SECURITY...oh...wait...he was charged with sexual interferance with a juvenile and ALSO LOST HIS JOB...Shauna...your Professional VET TECH didn't even have grade 10....Your case is a travesty..however at least other agencies have learned how NOT to do it...by the way....how much DID YOU MAKE from the donations you received to look after these horses? Is that where your new "cat house" came from? Anything would be an improvement from all those cats and dogs in wee cages jammed in closets and rooms in the house you had as your professional facility. Glad they no longer have to suffer. Congratulations. P.S. I do support your claim against the HSUS that they do nothing to help local humane societies.

You can post in ALL CAPS. YOU CAN USE DIFFERENT COLORS You can over use punctuation!!!! But, the fact remains, all of the "facts" you recite time and again, are wrong. I could point out how each claim is flawed, but this is neither the time nor the place and frankly your imagination is far more entertaining than the truth. We don't care who else chooses to believe you, you're wrong.

You Killed Granny. That is documented complete with photos and notorized statements presented in court taken from your volunteers. The seizure was conducted late at night to stop a rescue from taking over and getting the horses. That is why you ARRIVED after 6 pm at night to stop the turning over of the horses the next morning.

RESULT: YOU KILLED GRANNY

Deny as much as you want...we have the findings through the court case.

Yelsky and Lombardi of Cincinnati have all of the depositions and discovery.

BOTTOM LINE: YOU KILLED THAT GRAND OLD MARE

Not sure why you decided to re-open this...lonely?

Odd, the Court found that Robin Vess was guilty on all 42 counts including the mare of which you speak. We are very familiar with the findings of the Court.
    Ahh, This has been a fun diversion...