The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    That gets me too. An eventing facility I know of charges $75/night for a stall for a recognized show, $50/night for unrecognized. Same stall, just a few weekends apart. And no, during the recognized show no one cleans it for you! I see it at other places too, same service but the price is 50% to 100% more during a recognized than unrecognized. I understand paying judges and all, but the stall? It's the same stall.
    You are complaining the stalls should cost the same for recognized vs. unrecognized because it's the same stall, and someone earlier was complaining because she felt a facility should charge less for a tackstall than a horse stall even though they are the same stall. She felt the different use should cause different prices, you want the different uses to cost the same! There is no pleasing everyone.

But I think the charging more for the stall for recognized does have a lot to do with the fixed costs of a recognized show over a schooling show (the TD, EMT, and USDF/USEF fees that a schooling show doesn't pay, plus a recognized show usually brings in a judge from elsewhere rather than use someone local). To cover those increased costs, the show needs to either increase the stall fees, or increase the class fees over schooling show prices. It is easier to base a budget on the increase for the stalls, because almost everyone will get a stall (at least in our area, we don't have day haul-ins) and it is difficult to predict how many classes will be entered.

For dressage shows, some people only ride one test a day, some ride two tests a day, and for the lower levels, some ride three a day! So it's hard to predict how many total rides you will have in a day in order to determine
    the per-class price. If the per-class charge goes up, people don't enter as many classes, and then your predictions will be way off.

It's easier to treat a stall as a fixed cost to absorb the extra fees that a recognized show requires. Especially when the more rides a show has, the more fees have to be paid to USEF, so it eats into the increased price. But no matter how many rides a person does, they still need a stall.

You have to balance the needs of the show with the needs of the competitor. The competitors would rather have more classes for the same money, so it's better to increase the stall fees rather than the per-class fees.

Look at it this way:
    If you normally show where it's $75/stall and $35/ride for 4 rides per weekend, that costs you $215. If a show has 50 riders, that means $10,750 to the show.

Say a show has to increase costs $20 per rider. That would either be a $5 increase per class (based on 4 rides per weekend), or $20 per stall.

If the class fees go to $40, and the stall stays the same, then the competitor's cost would be $235 for a stall and 4 classes. (X50=$11,750 to the show if all competitors can pay the increase) But if the competitors can't pay more than that $215 they had budgeted, then they can get a stall and only 3 classes for $195. With 50 riders, the show now only makes $9750, and has to find 10 more horses to enter to make up that $2000 loss from the estimate of $235 per horse. (And they have still lost $1000 from the original income of the show.)

If instead the stall fee goes to $95, and the class fees stay at $35, the competitor can still get 3 rides and a stall, and pay $210. The show gets $10,500, and only needs 6 more horses to make up the $1250 difference. (And they have only lost $250 from the original income.)

So both sides have to compromise. The competitor has to ride one test less than the original example, but still gets 3 rides and a stall for under $215 in the two scenarios.

The show gets more money if the increase is added to the stall instead of the class fees, but without an increase in the number of competitors, the show loses money in both cases.

The only way the show wins is if the competitors can pay the full increase and still ride the same 4 rides.

Re. the cost of a tack stall vs. a regular stall, it really depends on how the facility handles the stalls after the show. For example, one local facility (El Sueno Equestrian Center in Moorpark) strips and disinfects all stalls after a show. For a tack stall, they dont have to do that so they offer them for a lower cost.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

You're absolutely right about not being able to please everyone! That's a given.
    I actually think tack stalls should be the same price as used stalls, unless you want to subtract what the bedding costs (and that's minor). A stall is a stall.

I know the recognized shows are jacking the stall fee to cover other costs, but they already do that in the entry fee (at least double for the recognized, not counting miscellaneous fees like drug fees) so it's annoying that they also do it for the stall fee. Where I end up hauling, a lot of times at least half the people are hauling in for the day, even for multiple day events they will pack up and go home then come back the next day. Charging more for the entry fee seems like it would work out better. But they know they have us long-distance folks at their mercy because we obviously can't haul back and forth and the Holiday Inn's pet-friendly policy doesn't include horses.

Again, you have to have a fully subscribed TWO ring show for the organizers to BREAK EVEN. If you want shows, you have to be willing to pay enough for the managers to at least break even or (guess what?) they'll stop running the shows. Clearly actually ending up in the black would be even better. Regardless of where the fees come from--stall, classes, whatever--the show has to cover expenses.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!

I realize USDF shows are expensive. I have had to scale back myself. But while I wish my sport was cheaper, I don't begrudge the cost to the organizers.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.