The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunting brestplate

I know a stirrup leather can be used as an "oh sh#t strap", but my little brain wants a real hunting breastplate. Sooo what is the best el cheapo brand? It looks like not all come with a standing martingale, which is what I want.
    Thx!

I would make sure that "el cheapo" has plenty of substance. It would be bad to rely on the yoke in a " oh sh!t" moment and have it give way.

Default Just get a good one.

And the standing martingale is an "attachment" of sorts, it usually just hooks to the breastplate with a snap.

"El cheapo" is not something you want to rely on. If something is "cheap" there is a reason, which is usually inferior quality and workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post

"El cheapo" is not something you want to rely on. If something is "cheap" there is a reason, which is usually inferior quality and workmanship.
    I have to agree - you only get what you pay for. I know 2 people who have bought "budget" stirrup leathers and have then snap clean apart within the first 3 months of use. Not good.

I rather like the HDR one I have. I wouldn't go much cheaper than it. It was around $70. I don't remember if it had a standing or running (which really can be used as a standing too) though.

What ever you get be sure the standing martingale attaches to the breastplate via a snap that you can reach down and undo. Never enter deep water with a standing martingale...horses do drown on occasion because of them. We have one water crossing that can get very deep in the winter and I always reach down and undo mine before crossing.

Sorry, meant to add, I found a nice English made one, nice wide heavy duty with snap attachment for standing martingale (included) for $150 on sale at the Tackbox in Middleburg.

Perhaps I should explain a bit more....I am looking for a good value and reliable breastplate....not thinking of ones like I see on ebay for $22.00. I was looking at Tory and HDR--just wanting input about the difference in $$$. So, thanks to all re advice, and advice about martingale/snap.

I would imagine that you can find a fair number of reasonably nice-quality used breastplates that won't break the bank-are there any consignment tack stores in your area?

Bartville Harness?

I don't know what their breastplate costs, but while their stuff is never awesome looking, it's always decent, solid and mid priced.

I've always heard good things about Bartville, but haven't purchased from them myself. I like the things I've gotten from Tory leather, and everything I've gotten so far has been made in the U.S.! Horseloverz.com has the Tory hunting breastplate for about $65, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    Bartville Harness?

I don't know what their breastplate costs, but while their stuff is never awesome looking, it's always decent, solid and mid priced.
    92.15 for Bartvilles elastic hunt breastplate. 84.65 for the traditional solid one. 13.20 for the standing attachment. They are gorgeous! I have one of each. I prefer the solid one. Could have used oversize for my big TB but the horse size fits on the very last holes. I think it looks awesome. Very nice supple thick leather. It darkens quickly to very deep brown.

http://i48.tinypic.com/33z7e39.jpg

Bartville Harness bridle and elastic breastplate.

Talking Just me chiming in!!

Go for thick, wide, flat leather. Forget elastic. No narrow or raised or fancy stitched ones. Get one you can get an ADJUSTABLE running/standing martingale attachment because you want something you'll be able to use on multiple horses. Sizing on the attachments is important. And for the chest pieces; go large. Good for accomodating fat, I mean fluffy, horses! Skip the brass buckle adornments altho' having adjustable shoulder/chest straps CAN be kinda handy.
    Don't attach to your saddles D rings; they rip out too easy. . Buy the extenders you loop over the stirrup bar. Love them. Sturdier.
    BTW, recall I use both. NO problemo!
    And for everyday riding; I can't say enough about synthetic, "beta" type tack. I ADORE Tekna products and have hunting chest plates w/attachments that look like leather. But you can wash and are even sturdier than leather. Cheap then you can keep your leather one for hunting/dress up days.
    Carry on!

Default This is what I use

You need to buy the attachment separately.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...ate_p/0060.htm

attachment

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...ent_p/0445.htm

I think they are made by Bartville for Bit of Britain.

I like the Tory leather ones too because they also have the snap on the neck so you don't have to take it over their head if you don't want to.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Breastcol...eastplate.html

I'm using a wintec breastplate on one of my horses. It hoses off and doesn't look too bad.

http://www.horsefroogle.com/Wintec-B...te-p/58560.htm
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Hey--just ordered an HDR in Havana from Horseloverz for a total of about. $90. That includes a standing martingale, shipping, insurance, an d I used a five bucks off coupon.

Carry on!

Cool! Let me know how you like it! I put some Australian Leather Keep on mine and its super soft now. I really like it and the matching HDR bridle.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Don't attach to your saddles D rings; they rip out too easy. . Buy the extenders you loop over the stirrup bar. Love them. Sturdier.
    Are these easy to find over there? They are almost unheard of here but the hunters at work have them on their saddles and I want them on mine before next season. Do they have a "proper" name that I can search for them under?
    As far as I can ascertain, I'll have to get them hand made because they are not sold anywhere that I can find!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dee-Savers-B...-breastplate-t
    o-saddle-/180699349594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1285 425a

They are called Dee savers.

Thanks, everyone, and I'll check out the D savers. Good idea!
    I'll attempt to take pics of my turnout when everything arrives.