The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default insurance question for farm in Fl.

As my closing date is coming near, I/m shopping for insurances and somehow I'm running into problems.... It is tricky to find an insurance for the home and the Barn. I found one insurance who told me that they closed down my area, but that there is a little chance still. But if it doesnt work out, what companies could I use... Somehow this model is not in any plan of insurances. How are other people doing it?? There are so many horseproperties in Florida...
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Our barn is insured under our home insurance. We don't have "farm" insurance just regular home insurance that covers all the out buildings, including equipment etc. Florida is in the hurricane zone that may be why it is more difficult. Are you trying to insure it as a farm or home? We have insurance with USAA.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

Let your fingers do some walking through the local Yellow Pages.

Call some agents and get quotes. If they can't quote you most will try and refer you.

Are you going to be an equine business or a house with a barn for personal horses? This is a very big question. If the former then you're commercial and the price will go up. If the latter then maybe not so much.

Property insurance in FL is pricy as the risks are high. If you are out in the country your fire risk will push you even higher. Be prepared to do some comparison shopping. Ensure that the company you select is capable of providing the coverage and policy service.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

You can also check with the FL Insurance Dept for a list of carriers writing coverage in the state. As noted above, it makes a difference if you are just looking for HO coverage with the barn insured as an additional structure or if you are going to have a commercial operation (i.e. boarding, lessons, etc). In that case, you do need separate commercial coverage. I have to insure my farm that way. The house is covered under one policy and the barn has separate property and liability coverages. I would much rather be covered for the risk, even if it costs more money.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats on your soon-to-be-new-place! We just have our own 2 horses at home on 10 acres, and FL Farm Bureau covers us. I think they also insure commercial operations, but you'd have to check with them.

Thank you for your great comments!! Grashopper, I did ask Farm Insurance, but they told me, they stopped doing insurance in that area....
    Ironwood Great advice !! Thank you, I tried to cover Home and Barn seperately, but 2 insurances turned that idea down already.. But I will ask the Fl. Insurance Dept. tomorrow!!
    And I would love to get a commercial insurance but that seems to be even more tricky than the regular one.. But I'm really hoping for the Fl. Insurance Dept. now!!
    Thank you again!

Well I contacted the Fl. Market Assistance Program today. Seems to be my last hope... Farm Bureau turned my down....(
    So hopefully some insurance will be available.... Its weird, it doesnt matter if I want a commercial insurance or just a regular farm insurance, no carrier so far is able to do it.....
    Last edited by Manni01; Sep. 20, 2013 at 07:11 PM.

Here in Ocala, I would ask Jerry Parks Insurance. They cover lots of horses, and farms in this area. Even if you are not in Ocala, I'd call them. www.jerryparksinsurance.com/?

We had two policies.

Specifically this was on purpose to separate liability

We had the personal for the homestead and a separate policy for the farm which was a corporation

Try Bill Buxton Equine Insurance. He'll set you up.

Thank you for all your great input! I contacted them and there is some light on the horizont now....
    But it is quite interesting.... In Europe you would contact 3 carriers and pick the one with the best quote for your needs, over here, you need to be really good in arguing why anybody should insure you......

doublepost..

But it is quite interesting.... In Europe you would contact 3 carriers and pick the one with the best quote for your needs, over here, you need to be really good in arguing why anybody should insure you......
    Clearly something about your place is a risk and that is why you are having such a hard time.

It is not like that everywhere.

Oh no.... There is no risk about this place....The only risk seems to be, that I plan to keep horses there and maybe that I'm from another country??? although I'm a permant resident........ And believe it or not, I asked the seller about their current insurance, and after they told me, I contacted the insurance company (which by the way just rejected me....) to tell them that this property is insured with them right now. And with this information they are now considering to insure me......
    Sorry, how strange is that.......
    Last edited by Manni01; Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Ok if anybody is interested, an update....
    I was in contact with 4 agents about a quote..
    I did get one outragous quote (to me it sounded like they didnt want to insure me)
    one perfect quote and 2 agents did tell me for weeks that they are working on a quote, but in fact I never received one.
    So I took the only quote I got.
    I googled the company and couldnt find anything suspicous, so I just hope that everything is working....
    Thank you again IronwoodFarm because your advice led to the only real quote I got

I have my house insured with State Farm and my homeowners insurance also covers my barn (outbuilding).
    Sandy in Fla.

Default Happy to Have Helped

I'm glad my advice was helpful and got you the insurance you needed! Althought I have been licensed as an insurance consultant for 30+ years, I no longer work in the industry. Still, once it gets in your blood, it stay there and I still love a good insurance issue. May you never have any claims!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com