The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default How would you have handled this situation?

How would you handle it if you arrived home to a rundown old car backed up to your stables with no one inside? On the windshield of the car is a note saying something like: "We mean you no harm. We lost our horse and bluetooth device. We are in your lower pasture looking for it." Signed with a name and phone number.

You have pipe fencing and all perimeter gates are locked, so no horse is getting into your pasture. Your horses are in the front pasture and if a horse were to get into your pasture somehow, it would most likely be near your horses (I would think).
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Here, we call the sheriff, explain the situation and then go look around, carefully, unless the sheriff's office say to stay put and wait for a deputy to show up first.

There are plenty of druggies around here and those at times act crazy, as crazy as that one situation seems.

1 members found this post helpful.

Call the phone number on the note.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

First I'd call 911 and report an intruder on my property and ask them to send the police over quick.

Then I'd wait where I could see my house and my horses in the front pasture to make sure nobody made off with anything until the police arrived.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

If it were just me, creaky, older and female, I'd call the neighbors or sheriff and go looking after I got some reinforcements. If it were me and DH he'd hop on the tractor or in the 4x and go looking with the cell phone to hand, likely he'd be carrying too, probably not too happy for the same reasons - gates all shut, fences secure and how exactly did y'all get inside my pasture? We would also be suggesting strongly that perhaps waiting till somebody was home, who could assist in the search, would be a better time to look for something like a bluetooth or a missing horse.
    I might also call the sheriff as we are fairly close to the rail line which passes by a prison and convicts have been known to hop a freight and get off at a switching yard a couple miles from my house. They've stolen cars near there before to make a getaway.

Generally for us it's been the same horses belonging to the same guy and one midnight visit by the donkey the guy was the one making all the noise traipsing through eveybody's back pastures. We met him, with his d*mn donkey (it's a cute mini but it's intact and getting old enough to be potentially dangerous), and I chewed him out the whole way down our driveway and out to the road, mainly telling him that some of us had to work at 4AM on Saturday morning and we really didn't appreciate being rousted out of our sleep at freaking midnite thirty . . . and you get the picture.

Really, even if it were a gorgeous late model Mercedes, it is very rude to "go looking" on your place without your presence or permission. It's trespassing, plain and simple.

ETA what Paint said is a very sensible response.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Lock, load, and call 9-1-1. "Bluetooth devices" don't walk into a freakin pasture.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Lock, load, and call 9-1-1. "Bluetooth devices" don't walk into a freakin pasture.
    My thoughts exactly. And originally I'd posted that the second thing I'd do would be arm myself appropriately.

But then I got to thinking it might not be a good idea to be armed when the police show up. I've never actually tried it, but I know that in general our police kind of like to be the only kids on the playground with weapons. Not that I have a gun, but of course I have things like knives and axes and etc. cause I live on a farm.

How about where you are? How do your police react if they arrive and the complaining property owner is armed?
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

I'd call the police and arm myself...AND I'd tell the police that I would wait inside my house (armed) until they got there...which is when I'd come out to talk with them unarmed. That way, they know what I'm doing and that I'll not try anything stupid. AND they know that if someone tries to come into my house (or hurt me or my horses) before the cops get there, I can take care of myself.

Can you tell us what you did? Or whoever this happened to?

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And originally I'd posted that the second thing I'd do would be arm myself appropriately.

But then I got to thinking it might not be a good idea to be armed when the police show up. I've never actually tried it, but I know that in general our police kind of like to be the only kids on the playground with guns.

How about where you are? How do your police react if they arrive and the complaining property owner is armed?
    I'm almost certain they would be ambivalent. We're in rural WV.

We had someone drive a truck up towing a car into the main driveway late (like 11pm) one night. Noone around. Figured it was stolen and they were trying to dump it. Called the sherriff. Turned out ok, but asked him point blank: "What's legal" and the response was: "We're 12 minutes away if we're not on a call. You do what you have to do."

Subsequent research, in 2007? WV passed a fairly comprehensive castle doctrine. If you are in your home, on your property, at your place of work, or at your friends house, you can use force up to and including deadly force to prevent attack... etc etc etc.

I'm almost certain they would be ambivalent. We're in rural WV.
    Probably ours would feel the same, especially if you did as Oberon said and a. let them know you were armed and b. made sure you were unarmed when you greeted them on arrival.

We're lucky in that we have a rural precinct maybe five miles away from the farm. But still, a lot can happen in the time it takes to drive five miles.
    Denny Emerson

Let me clarify this point. I'm not some gungho dude with a gun. The last thing I do is wave it around. But I absolutely make sure I've got it on me if I feel there is the potential for someone else to have one with less than decent motives. The last thing I ever want to have to do is pull the trigger with a living person between the dots... but I'd rather do that than say goodbye to my wife because I couldn't protect either of us.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Probably ours would feel the same, especially if you did as Oberon said and a. let them know you were armed and b. made sure you were unarmed when you greeted them on arrival.

We're lucky in that we have a rural precinct maybe five miles away from the farm. But still, a lot can happen in the time it takes to drive five miles.
    "Offficer, I am armed. I am going to eject the clip and unchamber the weapon, by your leave."

Saves a beating or a shooting every time.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think I'd also snap a shot of the license plate and the vehicle with my phone.

I'd make sure I was armed and I'd have my dog (GSD). I would call the police and most likely I would stay up at the stables somewhere where I could keep an eye out but not go looking for the intruder(s). How the heck would you have any idea how many there were?
    Kerri

I had this situation arise yesterday, and I'll be honest, I was pretty freaking hacked off.

I did call the police immediately and request someone to my house ASAP as it looked to be several people in my far pasture. The dispatcher took the information- what kind of car, license plate number (expired paper tags), asked what the note said, if I had touched the car, etc. Then he said someone was on the way.

I sat between my house and barn waiting and about 30 minutes later, the intruders started heading back towards my barn/house. During that time, I took notice that 2 roosters, who were like pets, were missing and there were feathers the color of my roosters near the trunk of the car belonging to the intruders.

When the people got back to their car, I asked just what the hell they thought they were doing. They immediately said "didn't you read our note???". I fully admit that I was not nice at alll. I told them that I didn't give a crap about their note, they were lucky they didn't get shot, and that I had the police on the way already.

The intruders start going over their story which was actually that over the weekend, the woman was riding her horse and was thrown when the horse spooked. The horse took off and she went after it, where she lost her bluetooth somewhere on the land near mine, as best as she could guess, and the horse was already back home. She said she didn't want to have to walk the nearly 2 miles to get back to where she was, so she just decided to come cut through my property and go back there. They then started telling me that they didn't understand why I was upset. This is where I lost my stuff on them. I asked them how they would feel if they had come home and found someone they didn't know at their home. The man says "We weren't in your home, we were in your pasture". I said, "I don't give a ---- if you weren't in my house. This IS my home and when you crossed off the road into my driveway you ARE in my home."

They asked what they were supposed to do and I said, "it's called leaving a note on the door saying "Hey, would it be ok if I came onto your property to look for something?", then leaving my property and waiting for a response.". This is when it came out that they had been on my property previously, over the weekend, while I was gone, as well

I could not get over the matter-of-factness they had about how they could just come on my property and do whatever they wanted. I was beyond livid. Then they tried to play like they were buddy/buddy with the sheriff and they were calling him to have this taken care of. I said, "Call Mitchell, in fact, let me talk to Mitchell. Tell him it's RTR, he knows who I am.". They seemed a little concerned about that, but dialed anyway. When Mitchell got on the phone, I told him what was going on and told him I wanted to request an officer at my house immediately to file a report. He said he would have one on the way and hung up.

An hour and half later, an officer showed up and the first words out of his mouth were, "You all have this cleared up already?". I said that no we didn't and I wanted a report filed for documentation purposes in case I were to find something missing in the next few days. He said, "It's all on camera, so it's documented". Now, my family makes up the majority of the police department where I grew up, so I'm not exactly ignorant on how things work. With this knowledge, I just stared at the cop until he asked for the intruder's ID, the man said that he didn't have any identification on him, and took it to his car to run it. With that, he let them go. He didn't bother to ask if I wanted to press trespassing charges on them or anything.

I'm still a bit pissed at the whole thing. It looked like these people were transients, possibly living part of the time in their car. I'm fairly certain they took my roos to eat, and I'm not happy with the way the police handled it.

Of course I left out tons more bickering and non-essential stuff like the girl asking if my horses were studs because she had a mare and my horses sure were purty.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

During that time, I took notice that 2 roosters, who were like pets, were missing and there were feathers the color of my roosters near the trunk of the car belonging to the intruders.
    Did you have the deputy pop their trunk?

I, too, am curious as to the outcome of this situation.

I'm not exactly sure what the note left on the car was trying to convey-- their horse was somehow loose in the pasture? Where does the Bluetooth come in? Color me cornfyoozed.

If my horse was loose and I had good reason to believe he was on someone else's property, YES, I would probably trespass to look for him even if the property owners weren't at home, as I would want to retrieve said horse ASAP before he hurt himself or caused any damage. I would also probably have left a note somewhere to that effect (the most logical place would probably be on my car, if it was parked in an obvious place).

I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility that if someone spotted a loose horse near a pasture, they might put said loose horse into that pasture, thinking that was where he belonged. (Dumb move, but there are lots of dumb people out there!)

Eh, I dunno... perhaps I'm naiive but I don't know that I would immediately jump to the conclusion that there was trouble afoot. Weirdness, sure, but not necessarily trouble.

With that being said, before I took another step, I'd be calling at least a neighbor, to say, "hey, there's a car parked at my barn with a weird note, plate # is XXX-XXX, going to go check it out, can you pop over here for a minute?" and I wouldn't go exploring until someone else knew what was going on.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

No, he wasn't inclined to do much that required him to leave the confines of his car, and, to be honest, I hadn't had a chance to look around and I thought maybe the roos were just hiding somewhere, scared, so I just didn't say anything.

I forgot to mention that there were, in fact, 3 people in total. One was a child, probably around 6 or 7ish with dried green snot smeared all over his face which he kept running his hands through and then wanting to come hold my hand.

Edited to say that my perimeter fences are padlocked, so there is no putting a horse in my pasture. The horse would have to jump 4'6=5' welded pipe fencing to get in my pastures or someone would have to have a key and I am the only one that does. The spares are in my house. But, of course, they horse had already been taken home, days before, I would later find out.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

That was my question also.

and I'm a bit confused - in your OP, you said that you had called the police and the dispatcher told you one was on the way. What happened to that one? and, if police=sheriff, why wasn't one already on the way when you spoke to Mitchell?

(I don't blame you for being upset ... sounds as if the deputy blew you off.)

ETA-- if I saw chicken feathers near their trunk, they wouldn't be leaving until the authorities convinced them to pop said trunk.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"