The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Jingles for little kitty!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Glad to hear your vet is able to help you out a little, its so nice when you can find a good vet like that!

Jingles for your kitty!

More jingles! Sounds like you got good advice here and from the vet. All you can do is give her your best shot.

There is a high calorie Hills Science Diet food that is mushy and very stinky and would be a good option. When cats get sick they don't eat, so they get sicker, etc. If you can get her to eat even a bit and maybe get her on some antibiotics she'll perk up. Your vet can also put some fluids under her skin to help her out.

The food is called AD and it has worked like a charm on some of my puny foster kittens.

I will definitely take a look at the Science Diet. I've fed the adult Science Diet to one of my cats in the past, but I'm not up on their other selections. It looks like the little girl is sick. She is very weepy around her eyes and still lethargic, although a little tiny bit more active today. She will lick some food off my fingers which entices her to eat a little more out of a bowl. She never wants the same thing two times in a row so I've been deviating between canned kitty food, baby food, and a little goat milk with pedialyte. I wish she wasn't so loving and sweet - makes it even harder to see her in this shape.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    I will definitely take a look at the Science Diet. I've fed the adult Science Diet to one of my cats in the past, but I'm not up on their other selections. It looks like the little girl is sick. She is very weepy around her eyes and still lethargic, although a little tiny bit more active today. She will lick some food off my fingers which entices her to eat a little more out of a bowl. She never wants the same thing two times in a row so I've been deviating between canned kitty food, baby food, and a little goat milk with pedialyte. I wish she wasn't so loving and sweet - makes it even harder to see her in this shape.
    See if you can get some lysine into her with the little bits of food, easily found in any vitamin shop or your pharmacy. Very important for the immune system boost. Crush the pills and just put a finger tip full into the kitty at least once a day, preferably two but it is somewhat bitter. Poor little thing, thanks for fighting for her. I found turkey baby food a good thing, also believe it or not, consume is easily digested and smells yummy when warmed, in fact anything slightly warmed has a better odor. I also had really good luck with Mighty Dog canned beef, only the canned beef, for any sick kittens or puppies. With far gone kittens I have also used Friskies white fish, only the Friskies brand and only white fish, has a real good taste to those who have lost their appetite.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Some brands of baby food Turkey have garlic and onions in them so read the labels.

Thanks for the advice on the Lysine and the nasty Turkey. I got her Chicken instead. As of this morning, I have dubbed her as Hope. She was distinctly brighter this morning, and willing ate her tablespoon of food instead of me having to entice her the entire time. She still has weepy eyes and is still very weak, but there's definitely a glimmer of hope.

Hope
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

She looks like a keeper to me........very pretty girl. Glad she is feeling better.

Do try to get her on real cat food or a good supplement ASAP, however, she does need taurine in her diet, and human baby food probably doesn't have enough
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I think it would be helpful to take her to a vet, if for no other reason than to get some antibiotic in her, especially if she has a respiratory infection.

I found a cat who weighed 3.5 pounds this early summer, and was beriddled with fleas, which caused her to be anemic.
    It has been a long road, and she is getting better, but thats with almost an ongoing antibiotics.

She ended up with bartonella, which needed a different antibiotic, not the clavamox which seems to be the antibiotic de jeur.

I know you said you didn't have a lot of money to spend, but if you can, see if you can get an antibiotic in her.

Lysine and also another pet tonic was given to her to help with the ongoing run down appearence and anemia.

I also did frontline with her.
    But, as you know, you have to do everyone. I'd offer to send you a front line for cats. But, you need to either ask for vet help or help here or wherever to get her to a vet. People have done it before, and people call the vet and donate a little to help you out.

Good luck, its so hard to find them so sick.
    Mine ate, and she likes Simply Nourish canned food, which I get at Petsmart. Its all she will eat. Well, she eats the meow mix too packets too. She will not eat the Purina UR which I have to give the others.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I also am very lucky, both my 'new' cats ate the clavamox in their canned food! I was grabbing them and squirting in their mouth, and what a hassle.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you go the antibiotic route.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

really does sound like she needs to get some fluids in there asap. you can do that sub q under the skin right at the nape of the neck. lactacted rings would be best for now. with a small gauge needle like a 21. just insert into neck and run slowly.don't give whole bag, little bits at a time depending on her size. it will really pick them up. also needs antibotics too, with those weepy eyes i'm sure she's sick. poor little baby, i hope she makes it, sounds like a keeper.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Thanks fivehorses - I'm making an appt. tomorrow to have the basic exam with my vet. We'll go from there. I'm kind of committed in this now so I'll see it through the best I can. I am just so encouraged to see her willingly eat today. I've owned lots of cats but all of mine have been healthy pretty much so not much experience with illnesses. She luckily appears to be flea free which I count as a huge blessing.

sk_pacer - I already have two cats and that's just perfect for our household, so I am willing to foster her, but she will need to be placed in the future. I just want to get her healthy right now. I know that I've never seen such a thin and weak kitten as this one and it was heartbreaking.
    Susan N.

Good luck tomorrow! We rescued 2 kittens years ago that were abandoned in a friends apartment he rented out. They were tiny, and one ( the one we kept ) had hip bones sticking out and just as thin as a rail, dehydrated etc. Our estimate was they were about 4-5 mo. old, but when we took them into the vet, they were aged at just shy 10 mos., they were stunted in growth from lack of food. 3 yrs later she's a fat and sassy cat, but still quite small overall.
    I too never intended on keeping her, we actually did try to find her a home, but she settled in nicely and my other cat just loved her so she's here to stay. You may too find yourself in my shoes However she's probably gonna need a bit more to get her healthy other than food and water. Poor baby.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

bludejavu - Where do you live in GA? I'm in TN and might be able to take another cat (with an eye toward eventual barncat-dom). I hope to be going to Hunstville in mid-October to audit the Buck Brannaman clinic, and we might be able to meet somewhere.

I think it's hopeful (get it? ) that she's made it this long. is she drinking?

StG

WishnWell - thank you. I hope to have good news tomorrow.

StGermain - I'm 45 minutes outside Atlanta east. I would love for you to take her but before we make plans, let me see what is causing her to be sick. I've gotten about 4-5 tablespoons of food down her so far today (various kinds) and she has really perked up, but the icky yellow matter seeping from her eyes worries me. I'll let you know what the vet says. I sure like your "hopeful" thinking. This is one sweet kitty - I clipped her front claws today because they were grabbing literally everything and she purred through the whole process. If the vet doesn't find anything serious, we'll make it work.
    Susan N.

She is adorable. Discharge makes me scared... hopefully it's not distemper and it's something less serious. I am so glad you're taking her to the vet. She reminds me of my Chloe kitty... http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...loeonCouch.jpg
    ~Veronica

Poor kitten. I have some expired clavamox pills (tons). I know they are expired but they are pills, how bad could they go? Anyway I will send you any number if you need them. Hopefully the vet will give her fluids and some wormer and defleaing. You'll want to do a combo test too. They can get so sick with a simple URI they just don't eat. I hope that is all that is going on.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I have some NEW Clavamox (Summerhorse's post made me think of it). My cat was on it for several weeks and then ended up having surgery. I have loads left and it was expensive. If this turns out to be something you can use, PM me and I'm happy to send it to you.
    ~Veronica