The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Is this kitten too far gone to be saved...? SAVED AND HUGE DISCOVERY BY VET 10/26!

I was filling my hay cart today, turned around and there was this pitifully thin little tabby kitten, maybe five months old at best. Hip bones are protruding on her, but she came straight to me and was very loving. I have a little cat pen that isn't being used and put her in it. She drank a little water, but her appetite is extremely not good. She tried a tiny amount of canned cat food then turned up her nose, didn't look at all at dry cat food, and the only thing I got her to show any interest in was evaporated milk that I had on hand. I know milk is really not good for a kitten that's weaned due to lack of enzymes to digest it properly, but I was just trying what I had. I can't keep her, not can I put any money in her to help her - would it be best to carry her AC and let them go ahead and put her down, or is there anything else I can try that won't cost me an arm and a leg to at least give her a little hope (i.e., vet care). She's so starved, she's weak.
    Last edited by bludejavu; Oct. 26, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Do any local vets of yours offer a surrender option? Some vets here do (central North Carolina), including a 24-hour emergency clinic. You sign animal over, and they evaluate. They PTS if animal is suffering/beyond help, but if it's something not too bad, they will try to save the animal and then adopt it out later if possible.

I don't know much about kittehs, especially sickly ones, but I know getting fluids into them can really help, and that's not terribly expensive (compared to other stuff, anyway).

Poor little.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

People tuna fish? Baby food (meat kind, of course)? Canned kitten food?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

onelanerode - I was not aware of that option, but I am certainly going to check with my vet and a few others and see any of them offer it my area. Thanks for the suggestion. I do think this little one is mostly likely a little dehydrated which may account for some of the weakness and lethargy. I wish these little animals would find me sooner before they get into such bad shape.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    People tuna fish? Baby food (meat kind, of course)? Canned kitten food?
    I don't have tuna here or baby food, but you just jogged my memory that I fed my last feral kitten baby food and it was a lifesaver. I'm going to get some today. Thanks for the memory nudge!
    Susan N.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I didn't know it was an option either until I found out the hard way. We'd seen this feral cat around and knew he had a previous injury to a paw/leg that seemed to limit motion/sensory perception. It was that injured paw that got caught in our fence one Sunday morning. God only knows how long he'd been hanging there, but it was long enough for him to be quite chill about being very carefully picked up and placed in a makeshift cat carrier.

We were prepared to pay to have him euthed at the emergency clinic, but they asked us to surrender him instead, and a vet friend of mine said that occasionally clinics will do that if they feel like the injuries aren't severe enough to merit euthanasia.

If surrendering isn't an option, maybe your vet would be willing to do a basic exam for you (find out if there are any major, readily apparent issues that suggest euthing is the best option) and then run some fluids for her, and see how she feels after that? At my vet, that would be $50ish (exam fee plus fluids).

Good luck. Will be thinking about you both and hoping kitteh pulls through.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I'm waiting on a call back from my vet's office now. They know me really well and if they would do it for anybody, I think they might do it for me. If not, the vet tech who I've known well for years will level with me on what should be done. She's as good as my actual vet is. Thanks again for the advice onelanerode.
    Susan N.

Jingles!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

If she hasn't been eating regularly, she just may not be used to eating. Maybe try putting some Karo syrup on her gums and see if it stimulates her to eat? Someone here told me to try it on a kitten I was trying to bottle feed that wasn't interested and it worked pretty well.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

RacetrackReject - thanks, I will try some Karo syrup. I did put a little evaporated milk on her tongue and that's what tempted her to lap a little bit of it. She does seem to know how to lap things up, she just seems too lethargic to be interested. I have never heard back from my vet, so I'm trying them again.

Why do these little animals always show up on a day when I have the least amount of time?
    Susan N.

If he is terribly dehydrated, which he probably is, electrolytes would help stimulate his appetite and get him headed in the right direction. Some cats will drink pedialyte on their own, or you can (very, very carefully) use a small syringe to squirt a few mls into his cheek. Aim for the cheek and squirt slooooow. Hope you hear back from the vet soon & thanks for doing what you can for the little guy.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Could you try your local humane society, or animal control? Most vets wont take surrenders, but if you want to keep the cat they may give you a break on costs.

Try syringe feeding small amounts of tin food, often it takes a bit to stimulate appetite if they are dehydrated, sick etc.

Hopefully he was just out long enough and there is nothing really wrong, unfortunately you never really know unless you keep them long enough or get vet attention.

My go to for starving or weak cats is Whiskas Cat Milk - a suppliementary feeding. At her age, I wouldn't hesitate to also give KMR as well. Also, tinned food with gravy/sauce as all liquid is good and the more nourishing the liquid the better.
    FWIW, I raised Da Lip on tinned kitten food and Cat Milk and it was the Cat Milk that seemed to get him eating.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

JINGLING FRANTICALLY for this little baby!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Thank you for the advice and the jingles. I talked to my vet tech and she said she doesn't know of any vets in the area that do the surrenders so that was a no go, but she gave me some pointers, one that included getting some Pedialyte and baby food. I just got back from the store with all the necessary items and discovered that a mix of the Pedialyte with a tbsp. of goat milk mixed with chicken baby food was eaten. She ate very slowly, but she did eat it all. She also told me they could do an basic exam which included detecting worms for $42 so I'm going to take her in Monday. I definitely can't keep her, but I'm willing to foster, get her in better health and find a good home for her.

SquishtheBunny - our local AC just had their funding cut by 1/3 and they are hurting so I doubt they could help me. I think my vet's office is my best bet and they will try to keep it reasonable for me - they're good about that.

sk_pacer - I'm going to check out that Whiska's cat milk - I'm not at all familiar with it and it sounds like it might be better than using even goat milk. I used goat milk with my last feral to get him to eat and it was great, but I'd rather use something specifically for cats.

She's definitely not out of the woods. She is extremely thin and weak. She tried to use her kitty box I got her and got the front of her in, but couldn't quite get the back end in. The weakness could be dehydration,worms, sick from a cat disease, there's just no telling. But I will try hard to bring her around this weekend a little - with just tiny amts. of food at a time.
    Susan N.

Jingles for the poor kitty. Even if it doesn't make it, at least you've made it as comfortable as you can.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Sending tons of kitty jingles for her and hugs for you! I sure hope she makes it. But if she doesn't, you will know you tried, and she will know what it's like to be loved.

bludejavu - I'd be happy to paypal you $30 to offset part of the first vet first. Please PM me your email address and I'll do the paypal.

StG

StGermain - you just about made me cry, that is so kind of you. Back when I had a pit bull show up, people on this board helped me so much with expenses and I wound up keeping her after I swore I wouldn't. I've been a true believer in the power of people like you here on COTH since then.

I'm okay with paying the $42 myself, but I will let you know what happens. I'm a little better off than I was back with my pittie showed up (thankfully), although not rich by any means. If I get in a real bind, it's wonderful to know that you are willing to help me a little with her, but hopefully it wont come to that.

It's still slow going with her eating, but she's trying. I swipe her mouth a little bit with food and she will lap a bit up, then I repeat it. It's going to be a tough weekend for her to get through. Thanks to all for the jingles, I think she's going to need all of them.
    Susan N.

Once cats stop eating, they lose their appetites, so hopefully now that she is back on at least some food, she will keep going. Advice from other posters is spot on. Lots of experienced & smart ppl on this board.

BIG kudos to you for taking in the tyke & jingles for the kitty!

It is heartbreaking when they are so sweet & arrive asking for help! Gets me in the gut every time.

I fully expect to see pix in a few weeks of bouncy cat.