The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Return SmartPak Saddle after purchase? Value?

Does anyone have any experience of having to return a smartpak saddle after you purchased it? This would be a non- demo saddle, as the test ride was not available at the time.

I thought the saddle was going to work for me; however it is not the right fit for me, although it did fit my horse pretty well.

I sadly bought it in late May and after trying it for several months it just didn't work. SmartPak stated they would take it back but will have to evaluate it for the value as I am sure it will have some marks.

I am just concerned as to how much I will get for the saddle from them and if it is better for me to just sell it elsewhere....

thoughts?

thanks!
    Caught by a Flash -Equine Photography

East Coast Jumps -Custom Wood Horse Jumps

Well, I just spoke to Dover about their new saddle return policy, and the guy said that if it's not in brand new condition, they usually take 10% off - I've heard that from a local tack store too, so maybe that's standard? Unless it's trashed, of course.

10% is standard when you have the saddle for a week or two and get a mark on it before you return it (within the normal return window).

I would expect it to be larger than that if you've been riding in it since May.

Whatever Smartpak will give you, I'd take it just for the simplicity. Send it back, take whatever they refund you, and be done with it. Otherwise you're paying listing fees on Ebay, dealing with buyers who demand you pay shipping back and forth if it doesn't fit, getting it crushed in the mail, whatever.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

OMG I feel like I am in the same position as you, except I bought mine last month. Liked it the first couple rides but not feeling so good in it any more. Let me know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Whatever Smartpak will give you, I'd take it just for the simplicity. Send it back, take whatever they refund you, and be done with it. Otherwise you're paying listing fees on Ebay, dealing with buyers who demand you pay shipping back and forth if it doesn't fit, getting it crushed in the mail, whatever.
    THIS. Totally.

I wouldn't even consider contacting the outfit that sold me a saddle that I'd ridden in all summer long about returning it--I would figure it was "used" at that point and would plan on selling it on eBay or craigslist or whatever. If smartpak will take it back, that's just BONUS time, and you take whatever they'll give you. If you're worried that they won't give you enough, then sell it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    THIS. Totally.

I wouldn't even consider contacting the outfit that sold me a saddle that I'd ridden in all summer long about returning it--I would figure it was "used" at that point and would plan on selling it on eBay or craigslist or whatever. If smartpak will take it back, that's just BONUS time, and you take whatever they'll give you. If you're worried that they won't give you enough, then sell it yourself.
    This.

Not just used but well used even. I am shocked that they will even take it back. Wow.

Could you send them some pictures so they could give you a rough idea of what they will offer you? SOunds like great customer service on their part to try to work with you after it has been this long.

Yeah, wow, if I changed my mind after several months, I would never expect the seller to take it back. Very nice of smartpak if they will.

It is not really a "return" at this point. And your language "having to return" frankly seems a little presumptious to me!
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

seriously, score for Smartpaks customer service. A few months of riding in a saddle is a long time to decide if you like it or not!

I think the route you go depends on how desparately you need the money for a new saddle. If you have time and don't mind dealing with the hassle, sell yourself. If you want some cash back now and are willing to take what Smartpak will give you, go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    This.

Not just used but well used even. I am shocked that they will even take it back. Wow.
    I agree with this. We all know SmartPak goes above and beyond to make their customers happy, one of the reasons we love them.

However, it seems as if the question should really be whether or not SmartPak will buy a used saddle and how much they may pay.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Hi All,
    Well I had stopped riding in the saddle a couple of months ago because I was so frustrated with it, loved it for my horse though! =/ I also was only using it a couple of days a week (before I gave up) because I am an avid jumper as well.

Well I returned it and they happily accepted the saddle, they really wanted me to be 100% happy with it and took the return. I got exactly what I had anticipated and was extremely happy with the refund! It was a lot easier for me then having to list it on ebay!

SmartPak is AWESOME, they want you to be happy with their products and they truly stand behind them!
    Caught by a Flash -Equine Photography

East Coast Jumps -Custom Wood Horse Jumps

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    ^^this^^
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry