The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice for upgrading CL horse in SC

I found this ad on CL today and would like to help this horse.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/grd/3307198373.html

I am afraid that he will end up in a worse situation because of the low price and the fact that he is a stallion. A friend called about him. He has never been seen by a vet or farrier but at least he is in decent shape weight wise. The lady who has him now said he was abandoned when previous owner moved. She seems concerned about him but does not have the resources to properly care for him.

Please do NOT flood this lady with phone calls. We have spoken to her and she wants to do the right thing. Friend and I are tentatively planning to go see horse on Friday but neither of us have the facility to house and rehab a stallion.

Any advice/ help will be greatly appreciated.

If you have a decent stall you can take him in prior to gelding, call local organizations to find out if there is a free gelding clinic nearby. Short of that, call a bunch of vets and ask if anyone is willing to geld him for you as soon as he arrives at home. Otherwise, he looks like he also has something going on with his skin on his face, or something going on under the skin, maybe scar tissue, the issue being be careful about putting pressure on the area with the halter. Sorry I don't have anything to say besides flood some of the local rescue organizations with contacts for helping the horse, find a volunteer network that they might tap for you, and ask them for where to zero in on the gelding matter because once that it is done, it all becomes much simpler. Thank you for wanting to help him though he is certainly a sad looking fellow.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

He's a cutie for sure
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Nice! I wonder what he is? Morgan cross? Friesian cross? Would she let you buy him and leave him where he as in the short term? Is it anywhere near you where you could get him gelded and leave him there? How about boarding at a vet for a while?