The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for contact info for Donver Stables

My mare was sold to me without papers in order to prevent somebody from going out and racing her again. She placed in her last 3 races, so she wasn't a total slouch on the track, they just wanted her to retire sound (she was starting to get "ankles"). She pretty much had the best race owners ever.

Anyway, I would love to have her papers in case I would like to breed her in the future and for sentimental reasons, I'd like to be listed as the owner. She has a home with me for life (unless some act of god pries her out of my cold dead hands!) regardless.

According to equibase she was owned by Donver Stables - does anybody know the contact info for this barn, or how I could get it? They're based out of Alberta, apparently.

Well, if not getting her papers will dissuade you from breeding your mare, I hope you don't get them. Sorry, but it's Wednesday night and another group of horses (including a lot of TBs) have arrived in Canada from New Holland to be slaughtered. And another 20 or 30 horses will be consigned to Camelot Auctions #10 pen where volunteers will work their tails off to get these horses into homes in the next 3 days. The world does not need your mare's baby no matter how well bred she might be. Sorry. And if you're thinking of breeding her for the experience of raising a baby, well...

If you substitute 'dog' for 'mare' you can see perhaps that it sounds very much an uneducated dog owner who wants to her dogs to have puppies 'for the children'.

Now you may be the most responsible horse person ever, but really there are too many TB babies on the ground. If you want a baby, buy a weanling.

But I totally understand wanting to see your name on her papers.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Donver is owned by Donna and Vern Dubinsky, apparently. That's a unique enough name that you shouldn't have any problems finding them.

http://community.tvg.com/t5/Triple-D...es/ba-p/580937

This was the second hit when googling "Donver Stables."

if you do a search on Canada 411, for their last name, and location, which I'm pretty sure someone gave you on MB, you will get an address and phone number. Hopefully it is the right one.

If you are talking about breeding to a TB you do not need the papers. Many warmblood registries will accept a tattoo instead of the papers and if you can't read the tattoos they will place the mare in a lower book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Well, if not getting her papers will dissuade you from breeding your mare, I hope you don't get them. Sorry, but it's Wednesday night and another group of horses (including a lot of TBs) have arrived in Canada from New Holland to be slaughtered. And another 20 or 30 horses will be consigned to Camelot Auctions #10 pen where volunteers will work their tails off to get these horses into homes in the next 3 days. The world does not need your mare's baby no matter how well bred she might be. Sorry. And if you're thinking of breeding her for the experience of raising a baby, well...

If you substitute 'dog' for 'mare' you can see perhaps that it sounds very much an uneducated dog owner who wants to her dogs to have puppies 'for the children'.

Now you may be the most responsible horse person ever, but really there are too many TB babies on the ground. If you want a baby, buy a weanling.

But I totally understand wanting to see your name on her papers.
    Really? This is a bit presumptuous of you. Are you on the breeding forum telling them how they shouldn't be breeding? No? Then please do not preach to me. I have done TB rescue and I have experienced all the joy and heartache that goes along with it. So I do understand where you are coming from, but I think you are too quick to speak.

If I breed my mare it will be years from now - she's only 5, I'm in university, there is hardly any rush. And that is IF I breed her - I've got like 10 years to mull over it, but it is a possibility. If I do breed her I would like her foal to have the best chance possible, and as such, would like it to be registered.

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    if you do a search on Canada 411, for their last name, and location, which I'm pretty sure someone gave you on MB, you will get an address and phone number. Hopefully it is the right one.
    I was hoping to get a stable number or an e-mail, as I'd prefer not to just call their house out of the blue. I don't like to bother people! haha. This is a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    If you are talking about breeding to a TB you do not need the papers. Many warmblood registries will accept a tattoo instead of the papers and if you can't read the tattoos they will place the mare in a lower book.
    I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. Thanks!

Really? This is a bit presumptuous of you. Are you on the breeding forum telling them how they shouldn't be breeding? No? Then please do not preach to me. I have done TB rescue and I have experienced all the joy and heartache that goes along with it. So I do understand where you are coming from, but I think you are too quick to speak.
    The folks on the breeding forum generally are serious breeders. Meaning they've done their homework, know that not every good looking mare is worth breeding and has cast an eye to the future weighing whether the resulting foal will be useful and saleable.

If you're planning on racing your resulting foal, well I can certainly see that papers will be necessary. But I think the owners did the right thing by withholding the papers. You wouldn't race her I'm sure, but life throws curveballs and if she went out of your hands with papers someone who doesn't really care about her could put her back on the track. Also, have you thought that the breeders are also trying to discourage her being bred as well? If you've done TB rescue, can you honestly look at your mare and justify breeding her? Winning a little money on the track isn't enough. Is her pedigree worth bringing forward? Is she generally athletic? Is she sound enough to win in other disciplines? Is her conformation really THAT good? These are the type of questions serious breeders ask themselves.

In either case, it seems you've gotten the info you need. Now it's up to you. Good luck with your mare and at university.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

As was already said, if she wants to breed to a TB, she doesnt need any registration papers, just positive ID. The mare has already been DNA'ed, so if and when she has a foal, the foal's DNA will be checked and papers will be issued. There will be no problem registering and racing the foal without the mare's papers.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    As was already said, if she wants to breed to a TB, she doesnt need any registration papers, just positive ID. The mare has already been DNA'ed, so if and when she has a foal, the foal's DNA will be checked and papers will be issued. There will be no problem registering and racing the foal without the mare's papers.
    Thank you. She would be bred to another TB if I did decide to breed her, but it would be for sport purposes, not racing! I'm sure as heck not breeding a racehorse in Ontario now that McGuinty has gotten his paws on the industry...

Thank you all for your help!