The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Polish Driving Ponies!

Physical Therapy cut me loose today after my back surgery so of course the first thing I did was head out to the barn <BG> My two young Polish Driving Pony full sisters, Lola and Layla, had just been hanging out since coming back from being broken and I couldn't wait to do SOMETHING with them. So I plopped a Pessoa Training System on each of them, and some side-reins and a surcingle on Maggie and off to the round pen we went.

I've sure got my work cut out for me but what fun it is going to be! I'm going to use Maggie to train the two youngsters - she can handle working twice as much as they can. Of course it will be awhile before I can start driving so Pine Tree CDE is out for us this year. Still have my fingers crossed I'll have one of the little ones going well enough with Maggie to do Training Level at Katydid, though

Sadly Micah will probably be dropped from the group. She's a super kid pony and my 5 year old granddaughter will be thrilled with her. The other 3 ponies have lovely overstrides and nice suspension; Micah is like a little QH. But a pair and a spare of Polish Driving Ponies will suit me just fine
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Glad to hear things went well with the surgery and therapy!!

Welcome back to the "I can play with horses again" group. You always seem to have a lot of fun gettting those new ponies going, so they should be doing things very well in short order. Pair and the spare should be just what you want on hand for competitions, once they are ready.

So hard to believe your Granddaughter is FIVE already! Seems like it was just a short time ago you were excited to BE a Grandma.

I will be watching for progress reports.

Good luck with them! They're such lovely ponies, definitely share pictures of your progress, and congratulations on getting well enough to go back to horse work!

Well we're not going to make Katydid either Just longeing the ponies totally wore me out - there's just no way I can get a green pony going with Maggie so quickly. Especially when I'm so unfit! But at least I can play with my girls. I was delighted to find they still remembered my commands to walk, trot, halt and reverse; it really helps since I longe all three at the same time.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashemont View Post
    it really helps since I longe all three at the same time.

.... and someday you are going to enlighten me as to how you do this, right?

Absolutely! I have a wonderful heavy duty 60' metal round pen. I put a Pessoa training system (surcingle, ropes with pulleys, bit hanger with snaffle bit) on each pony. Put the 3 of them in the round pen and commence longeing (think Liberty Horses).

I have some ground poles that I use as needed to change length of stride and to keep them aware of where they are putting their feet. It's amazing how fast they catch on! And I can work 3 ponies in the time it would take to do one. It's also a lot of fun

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Ohhh... Why did I read that as LONG LINING, not lunging.... nevermind...

Ahh the Polish driving ponies. Love the thrill of watching new ponies come around.

We started another pair recently. It has been a fun experience. I have my old steady mare that we can hook to anyone anytime. She put up with one of the ponies tom foolery about 3 minutes then reached over and gave him an attitude adjustment. It worked well. I love watching her train the newbies. Drove one then the other about 3 miles each. Then hooked them together and repeated it. They are going to make a team.

Blue and Indy the blue roan mutt ponies!

Well things didn't progress as I had anticipated. I tried to do too much too soon and got set back to square one. Right now all of the girls are out in the back pasture just getting fat and enjoying life. I need to work on ME before I start trying to do the ponies again.

And is Maggie ever MAD!!! She has let me know in no uncertain terms that she is ready to play again. Just leading her from the barn to the pasture was all I could do. Looks like Micah will have to come back into the mix to settle Maggie down before I can use Maggie to get the two youngsters going. Then I'll have the pleasant task of deciding which two make the best pair.

At least I have lots of fun to look forward too. Makes the PT worthwhile.... almost!

LF how many pair do you have now? Do both boys have their own team? LOVED seeing your pictures.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Sorry to hear about your setback. Nice thing about ponies is that they will be waiting when you are repaired again. They won't forget what they know now, might be EVEN BETTER for waiting a little longer on them.

Keep us posted on how you are progressing as you get back into therapy. My SIL just had her shoulder repaired, got it all torn back out, not sure how though. She has an amazing tolerance to pain, can't remember doing anything that hurt that might have torn it! Guess they will have to go back in, do the repairs again, and then back to therapy for her as well. I am rooting for you both in a fast recovery!!