The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How far in advance do you want to contact a stallion owner?

I'm interested in breeding my mare and I was wondering how far in advance is it advisable to contact the stallion owner and/or put in a deposit?

Also has anyone here bred to Wapuzzan since his change in ownership? This is the stallion I'm interested in.

The earlier the better. Often there are "early bird" specials and they can be significant! Others may have a limited book, so if you're sure, it's always best to contact the SO right away.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Yes, contact them early ... I just contacted Aqua Farms about EH Buddenbrock and he is fully booked for 2013 already. I am pretty bummed about that!

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    The earlier the better. Often there are "early bird" specials and they can be significant! Others may have a limited book, so if you're sure, it's always best to contact the SO right away.
    Thanks for the info! Is it customary to just pay a deposit or do you have to pay in full? I feel somewhat uncomfortable paying a full $1000-2000 (or whatever the 2013 fee is going to be) in full so far in advance.

We are limiting Amazing's book this year, and require a booking fee deposit to hold the spot...the fee varies for different stallions. If you want to take advantage of the early bird special, the remainder must be paid by year end. Otherwise the full balance of the stud fee is due before any semen will get sent out. Just give them a call-everyone is different.

Any idea how many Buddenbrock booked?
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

As a stallion owner I appreciate mate owners that at least send a contract and/or deposit earlier rather than later.

And as others have said there are other reasons to do so on the mare owners side. I am limiting Tate's book next year too (unless someone wanted frozen) and his stud fee will be going up a bit as well - BUT I will honor this Year's fee until Jan 1. I don't do booking fees, but that is just me.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    As a stallion owner I appreciate mate owners that at least send a contract and/or deposit earlier rather than later.

And as others have said there are other reasons to do so on the mare owners side. I am limiting Tate's book next year too (unless someone wanted frozen) and his stud fee will be going up a bit as well - BUT I will honor this Year's fee until Jan 1. I don't do booking fees, but that is just me.

Thanks A, if it happens you'll see it on Facebook

(Teresa will be /thrilled/ I'm not using Sam)

Lol. Just put it together who you are! out of curiosity why not Sam? (I heart him!) you can message me.

Oh and for your earlier q about deposits etc - that depends on the SO somewhat. I for example, don't require a deposit but I do need a signed contract to hold a spot. And the fees have to be paid in full prior to first shipment. I also incl first shipment/collection in stud fee - but several SO don't do that so it is an additional expense.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Lol. Just put it together who you are! out of curiosity why not Sam? (I heart him!) you can message me.

Oh and for your earlier q about deposits etc - that depends on the SO somewhat. I for example, don't require a deposit but I do need a signed contract to hold a spot. And the fees have to be paid in full prior to first shipment. I also incl first shipment/collection in stud fee - but several SO don't do that so it is an additional expense.
    I'll send you a PM. I wasn't sure how much personal info you wanted on here. I like Sam too, but I want a better chance at color. Poor Sam doesn't have the best luck at passing color on.

Last time I talked about breeding Teresa seemed to have her feelings hurt that I wasn't using Sam. But maybe some other time I can have a Sensation.

I'm sure she understands. And I didn't think about the color - good point on that. .