The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Theft at Saugerties NY HITS

SO last night at Saugerties as everyone was leaving the horse show grounds someone broke into my horse trailer. It was parked in the main trailer parking, and some ass wipe broke the window open of my tack room and pushed the screen out and climbed in. They then helped there self to EVERYTHING in my horse trailer. 2 saddles 4 bridles, a tail,3 girths, 2 martingales, a pair of Sergio Grassi tall boots, 2 garmet bags with at least 8 jackets and countless show shirts and ties and... ughhhh everything. Whoever did this I hope they rot.....

I'm sorry to hear that. Thieves suck.

A friend of mine had their golf cart stolen.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

That does stink. So sorry to hear that. Not easy stuff to replace. Sometimes people do suck.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Check eBay and BBs or Tacktrader. You would not belive how much stolen stuff passes through those sites. Even if you see one item you may be able to catch the person. I am really sorry.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

It's possible your homeowner's insurance might cover the theft?

Unfortunately this is not the first incident of theft I've heard about at Saugerties. Tack, bikes, etc. I am so sorry this happened to you

That is just awful, I hope something terrible happens to the thieves. I hope you are able to recover at least some of your stuff, and definitely check about the insurance, I know my saddle was covered under my homeowners.

Ugh, awful. Keep checking all the usual internet sites for resale!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I had all of my show tack stolen out of my truck at Christmas time. My Home Owners Insurance covered the entire claim less the deductible and the 30% they hold back for depreciation. Whenever I have bought everything back, they will reimburse me the 30% as well.

Good luck with your claim, much of my stuff could not be replaced (won coolers, etc).

I am wondering how much it would cost to put an alarm on a trailer. Sometimes the alarm sound would scare away a potentail thief.

Happens at Thermal, too

Soooo... Wow. Have they upped security?

I second the scan eBay etc. I had an apartment broken into a number of years back, and while it wasn't my stuff, I did help catch a POS selling stolen computers, stereos, etc...

I called my Detective on my case, tipped him to an ebay auction that was the same model/wear as my laptop and the seller had another laptop and 3 stereos up at that time, and it lead to an arrest. EBay has turn info over to cops ASAP, apparently.

While I wish it was my stuff, at least I got one POS off the street for a minute and someone's stuff back... Hopefully you'll be able to find your stuff, though... Good luck.

I'd also give the serial numbers of the saddles to any consignment shop within 100 miles of there--tell them to call the cops if anything shows up. That freaking blows. It's not just the cost of replacing the stuff it's BEING WITHOUT stuff that was probably custom for the months that it will take to remake it. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    I'd also give the serial numbers of the saddles to any consignment shop within 100 miles of there--tell them to call the cops if anything shows up. That freaking blows. It's not just the cost of replacing the stuff it's BEING WITHOUT stuff that was probably custom for the months that it will take to remake it. Ugh.
    Maybe even share the serial numbers with the saddle makers.....I know I have seen Antares put a list of stolen saddles on their site.

So sorry you are going through this

At an AA show in VA, last year, someone stole the spare tire off my trailer! What they didn't know, was, that although, it looked brand new, because it hadn't been used, it was a REALLY old tire and was a passenger car tire, as well. It came with the trailer and I replaced all the other tires, but not it, since it was only for an emergency. It did suck having to spend the money for a brand new tire AND wheel before using the trailer, again, since I just knew if I drove 1 mile off the property without a spare, I'd get a flat.

Quote Originally Posted by luckeys71 View Post
    At an AA show in VA, last year, someone stole the spare tire off my trailer! What they didn't know, was, that although, it looked brand new, because it hadn't been used, it was a REALLY old tire and was a passenger car tire, as well. It came with the trailer and I replaced all the other tires, but not it, since it was only for an emergency. It did suck having to spend the money for a brand new tire AND wheel before using the trailer, again, since I just knew if I drove 1 mile off the property without a spare, I'd get a flat.
    Well, whoever stole it will find out that it's a passanger car tire not meant for a horse trailer. I bet they won't be happy that they stole a tire that doesn't even fit their trailer!

On a side note: I'm sorry to hear that the OP stuff was stolen. I hope that you're able to track down who stole your stuff and see them pay for what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    Soooo... Wow. Have they upped security?
    Unlikely. I had my purse stolen last year from the truck while we were showing. When I reported it to the HITS office, they shrugged their shoulders and said it would probably show up in an empty stall when they were being cleaned after the show. And it did, with everything minus the cash. I went back to pick it up and there was a pile of purses they had!
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

NO they havent upped the security..... at TEF I had my tail stolen off the door and two halters. It sucks, I have been telling EVERYONE at the show about it so hopefully it will help someone else not have this happen to them. Thank you everyone for all the help and kind words. My customers renters insurance is going to cover the theft of there belongings, but my saddle and all my stuff are not covered since it was not hooked up to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by ET's Home View Post
    Unlikely. I had my purse stolen last year from the truck while we were showing. When I reported it to the HITS office, they shrugged their shoulders and said it would probably show up in an empty stall when they were being cleaned after the show. And it did, with everything minus the cash. I went back to pick it up and there was a pile of purses they had!
    Ugh.