The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    A gallery here actually has some CW Anderson drawings, from one of his books, quite wonderful!
    I bet those are the ones I saw on display last year at the National Horse Show, with other gorgeous pieces from a high-end gallery. Think they were from "The Blind Mare." I was very excited to see them as I've always been a huge CW Anderson fan... still have the prints from my childhood BR hanging on the walls now!

If memory serves me corectly Walter Farley actually wrote the first couple books with his son Steven in the "Black Stallion returns" series. After his passing then his son wrote more.

I have the entire BS series by Walter and have had them since I was a kid. I also have most of C.W. Andersons books, most of Margurite Henry's books, most of Mary Ohara's books. I also have the two books in the Fury series, have a book called San Damingo the medicine hat stallion, sue's second hand horse, and two books from the Gypsy and Nimblefoot series ( I believe there were only two books in that series. I have them carefully packed away in a box waiting to make some special shelfs to put them all on.

Three books in the Gypsy series.
    Gypsy from nowhere.
    Gypsy and Nimblefoot
    Gipsy and the Moonstone Stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Three books in the Gypsy series.
    Gypsy from nowhere.
    Gypsy and Nimblefoot
    Gipsy and the Moonstone Stallion.
    Someone else read those! I only have those three, too...are there more?

I think I read those, too the titles are familiar.

Anyone enjoy the books featuring the pony named Windyfoot? I don't remember the author offhand, but the family had a maple syrup business.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat9 View Post
    I remember an article (in Equus?) that mentioned his riding ability being the key to getting the part. Apparently they could get kids who could ride, or kids who could act, but the combo wasn't walking in the door.
    I believe it was mentioned in Practical Horseman once that Peter Wylde was one of the final few in the running for the part, but they decided he was a little too tall. I don't know anything about his acting ability, but I think it's safe to say he could ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Sadly, Kelly Reno did suffer a TBI in a pickup accident (I think it was a pickup) later on.
    Wait, do you mean a horse accident? Or a car accident? Either way, very sad if that's the case. What happened?

here's the story from People:

Facebook
    Twitter

It was enough to make any kid want to get shipwrecked. In the 1979 film The Black Stallion, 11-year-old Kelly Reno finds himself cast away on a desert island with a hot-tempered Arabian horse. Slowly the two make friends; soon enough, Reno is galloping bareback along the shore, yelping with delight.

Now, most days, Reno sits atop 325 horses-that's the power under the hood of the Kenworth 18- wheeler he drives throughout Colorado, hauling heavy construction equipment for Wagner Rental Company. "I'm a certified truck driver and very proud of that," says Reno, 35. "What bothers me is these people, when they do figure out who I am, the first thing out of their mouths is, 'What the hell you doin' drivin' a truck?' I basically look at them and say, 'You know what? It pays the bills.' "

His film work paid them for a short while. With no acting experience, Reno, whose mother had heard about an open audition for equine-minded boys like her son—Reno had been riding horses on his parents' 10,000-acre Colorado ranch since he'd learned to walk—turned out to be "a natural" when he was cast in Stallion, says his costar Mickey Rooney, 80. "He was so willing to try anything, and he was great with horses."

And willing to travel: Stallion was shot in Canada, Sardinia and the Italian mainland. "We went to places we never would have gone, stayed in fabulous hotels and did some fun things," says his mother, Ruth, 58, whose husband, Bud, a cattle rancher who also accompanied their son on location, died in 1996. "But when we came home, we were still ranchers. He still had to do chores like everybody else."

Though Reno was offered more roles, he took just a few, the most notable being an encore as Alec Ramsey in 1983's Black Stallion Returns, shot in Morocco. His paychecks were a big perk, but, as he said to his mother when another location shoot was going to disrupt their family life, "there are a lot of things more important than money."

After graduating from high school in 1984, Reno got a new agent and tried to make his way into acting again, but his plans were derailed by a near-fatal highway accident in 1985. His pickup truck was hit by an 18-wheeler, and Reno suffered two collapsed lungs, bruised kidneys and several broken bones, putting him in a wheelchair for eight months. (He still has a 14-in. steel plate in his left leg.) "I lost a couple of jobs over it," he says. "In eight months—Hollywood forgets you fast."

In the truck with him, but escaping serious injury, was girlfriend Lynette Turtle, 32, whom he married in 1986 and with whom he has three children: Ryan, 12, Raelyn, 8, and Justin, 7. They divorced in 1996, and a year later Reno met Annette Crump, 35, a nurse he wed in 1998. "We got married on horseback," says Reno, who lives with Annette and her son Jesse, 9, 15 miles from Lynette on a ranch near Pueblo, Colo.

After working as a cattle rancher for 15 years, Reno got his trucking license in 1996, graduating at the top of his class. He chose trucking because "the pay was good and I needed the work," he says. While he has toyed with the idea of trying to act again ("His eyes light up," says Annette, when he spots an old costar on TV), Reno isn't about to park his rig just yet. "I've been there, done that," says Reno, who is still asked for autographs on the street. "I have a loving wife and four lovely children, and I'm happy where I'm at." Besides, he says, "if I never do anything but be a truck driver, I can always tell my grand-kids, 'Look what Grandpa did when he was little.'"
    http://www.people.com/people/archive...135380,00.html
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

^ Thanks for posting that! It sounds like he ended up much better off than many child actors.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderWriter View Post
    I bet those are the ones I saw on display last year at the National Horse Show, with other gorgeous pieces from a high-end gallery. Think they were from "The Blind Mare." I was very excited to see them as I've always been a huge CW Anderson fan... still have the prints from my childhood BR hanging on the walls now!
    Yes you are right, Cross Gate Gallery had some pieces there. If they had anything from "Afraid to Ride" I would sell something to get one!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

10 pages of Black Stallion and no one mentions

THE BIG BLACK HORSE

Walter Farley's original beautifully illustrated book, 1941 and 1953, way before the Black Stallion series. The majesty of this horse was embedded in my mind at age 7. I have my original dogeared copy that none of my family is allowed to touch.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Anyone enjoy the books featuring the pony named Windyfoot? I don't remember the author offhand, but the family had a maple syrup business.
    Sounds familiar. Was it Summer Pony?
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Someone else read those! I only have those three, too...are there more?
    I always thought that there would be more than three by now...its about time Nimblefoot was broken for under saddle

I found this with a Google search. Windy Foot at the County Fair, Sleigh Bells for Windy Foot, and Maple Sugar for Windy Foot by Frances Frost.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Sorry to bump but this is a great thread!
    As a horse-crazed girl with very few ops to actually be in the presence of horses - I read nearly every single horse book in both our local and school libraries. Also anyone remember the Arrow Book Club? The flyers we got in school always had at least one or two horse related books. I bought my first copy of Black Stallion through them in 4th grade - I literally read that book til the covers came off!

Then the sequels - some better than others. The island stallion was great. I think my favorite "sequel" is The Blood Bay Colt. It is such a beautifully written story and gives me a feel for the way the country used to be - with the county fairs and wow his descriptions of food in that book are almost mouth watering
    Revolts wasn't initially one of my faves but upon repeat readings it's gotten better. I just skip past the filler and go straight for the plot.
    I get confused about the timing...as far as how much time has elapsed during the series. Of course Alec starts at about age 14-16 since he's in high school during the second part of the 1st book and is in college when he acquires Satan as a weanling. Satan retires at 5 and after he wins the Triple Crown the Black returns to Alec. I figure all the events in the BS and Satan took place prior to the beginning of breeding season. After Satan retires, Henry acquires 2 YO Black Minx and races her in the Derby the following year, satan is 6 and THE BLACK has only been back less than 3 years. How did that happen? I know lol

I never cared for the film. I had a little crush on Alec so having him portrayed as a little KID. Sure Kelly Reno was a cute kid who could ride but not my idea of Alec. And the match race...ugh.

The BS &Girl is embarrassing to read. Out of all the books it has not aged well unless Steven or whomever updated the music and dress/cultural references. And legend is painful to read. I think if I were WF I would NOT have killed Pam off (if memory serves, the same way she died in Legend) but would have had Pam and Alec marry and poof end of series. I'm guessing SF wrote most of it. Ugh too depressing and really boring to read.

The best of the series are the books which center around the racing culture IMO.

Other books - yup I also STILL have Come On Seabiscuit. I have lived all my life within a few miles from Bay Meadows (now sadly gone) so reading that book and learning that he actually RACED right here was thrilling to me! I also enjoyed the LH book too. You can tell she was influenced by the Moody book. Do read it if you haven't.
    CW Anderson -LOVE his books and his drawings. I still have my Scholastic paperback of Afraid to Ride.
    Pretty much any book where the illustrations were by Sam Savitt. I have a paperback of a story Born to Race, which is about Whickery, and Sue whose parents own a TB breeding/racing farm in Virginia.
    A great book and hard to find is The Horsemasters by Don Stanford (I think?). Good enough to make a Disney film. The book is much better than the Funicello flick. I really wish someone would either republish or make a kindle/nook/iBooks version available. I had the scholastic paperback and read it to shreds. 35 cents.
    Another one I still have and enjoy reading is Spurs for Suzanna (Betty Cavanna I think) which takes place approximately 1947 - my guess because her father was in a VA hospital with a "bad lung" after the war. Anyone else read that one? It's as good for the non-horse parts of the book as it is for the horsey bits.

:-)

Ooh, I have a paperback of "The Horsemasters"...quite confusing after seeing the movie first when you're a kid! I don't recall where I got it (but I've always snapped up horse books from used bookstores, so I've wound up with a lot that are older paperbacks.

Another one I still have and enjoy reading is Spurs for Suzanna (Betty Cavanna I think) which takes place approximately 1947 - my guess because her father was in a VA hospital with a "bad lung" after the war
    Thank you thank you thank you! I've been trying to remember that title for a while - I, too, associated it with many of these other books, and I really related to that one. I read it over and over. I'd forgotten that Betty Cavanna existed, though, as an adult reader.

My Scholastic copy of "Afraid to Ride" is tucked away safely, and I re-read it every year. I think that would be a great movie.

I knew every horse book in the local libraries by heart. The librarians got a little snide and suggested I read other things, so I read them, finished them, and went back to my horse books.

I loved the Black Stallion series, but haven't read anything newer than BS & the Ghost. It sounds as if I didn't miss a thing.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey