The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good books for dealing with the death of a husband?

My father was killed in a car accident 4 days ago, leaving behind my mom (his wife of nearly 30 years) and my young sister and I.

Without getting too personal, my mom in particular, has a long, hard, heartbreakingly lonely road ahead of her. Knowing that several COTHers have been in a similar situation as her, are there any particular books that helped you deal with the loss and the feelings of an uncertain future?

My father was her best friend in the entire world and my heart breaks even more than it already is, knowing that her universe was altered forever with the arrival of two cops on our doorstep. They never even got the chance to retire together.

Any suggestions are welcomed. TIA.

Im afraid I don't know any books but my deepest condolences to your entire family!!!

I am so sorry, my condolences to you and your family.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I don't know if this would help, but my friend wrote a book about being widowed as the young wife of a police officer. It is a 'fictionalized' account of her experience with the tragic death of her husband on duty. It is called "A Widow's Awakening" by Maryanne Pope.

http://www.wcb.ab.ca/pdfs/public/awa_promo.pdf

Condolences to your family.

I'm so sorry for this tremendous loss.

Karen

My deepest condolences on your heartbreaking loss. Amazon.com is your friend when looking for books on this (or any other subject).
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I am so sorry for you and your family during this time. I second just doing an amazon search for something on the subject. The reviws usually give a good overview.

I have never lost my partner of 30 years but with the death of someone close to me it takes time to make it hurt less but you never really get over it. A piece of them will always be with you and they will always be missed. If you find a good book let me know. I went to therepy to talk about my loss. Maybe that would be an option in the future? Good luck and again I am sorry for yout loss.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.