The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TV-free

I've been TV-free since March, though I watched little enough for the two years before that. Was reminded of this by a blog entry recently, titled "Normality is ..." and one of the items was, "Avoiding depression with massive daily doses of television programs."

I almost 100% like being TV-free. There are occasions when I'd love to sit down on the couch and veg in front of a show... but most of the time it's not an issue.

There is still a VHS/DVD connection, so I can rent or borrow from the library, as well as watching my horsey stuff once in a while.

What I don't miss: news, "there's nothing on," mindlessly watching stuff I don't even like, getting sucked into shows and wasting time/having a schedule I have to make (e.g. 8 pm on Thursday)/worrying about taping it. Inviting people over and anyone being distracted by the TV. Paying the cable company. Dealing with the cable company

What I do miss: easily available comedy.

Now, not going to lie, I've substituted some of my TV time by spending it on COTH
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I have not had TV in my home since July 2003. From what I see at friends' and family members' houses, I'm not missing too much. I admit I will watch some things on Netflix and Hulu, though.

We went for 19 years without having one in the house. Then 9/11 went down and I bought a set. We got a lot or reading and projects done during those 19 years. Now we pick and choose our shows (there are only a select few we really like), do other things, or turn in early.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I have a TV and try to watch the news, because what happens out there impacts our business.
    We need to have some kind of idea about that, plus the weather is also important.

Other than that, I have never watched, well, don't even know what they are called, but Ophra, Springer, comedies, tragedies, whatever those shows made for TV are called.
    Partly also because I am hard of hearing and so miss much and it is boring to watch and not quite catch on what is happening but a bit here and there.

Have not seen a movie since 1972.

Sure makes for much time for other, as someone commented.

No TV here.

I do watch the occassional netflix show and the last three days, we streamed the convention because the election is important to us but generally speaking, we don't watch.

Probably why my youngest is an an amazing song writer, musician and a senior at Georgia Tech at age nineteen! Around here, if you aren't producing - you must be sick!

TV sucks your life blood more than a room full of vampires!

(When my twenty eight year old son was two years old, my dad bought us a TV so our son could grow up "normal," fortunately the TV didn't last in our house more than a few months).
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s