The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What Size Duvet?

Ok, perhaps I'm having a blonde moment here, but we just purchased a king size bed, and I'm struggling to figure out what to put on it.

DH and I ordered a duvet cover...obviously in king size. The question is... what size duvet do I fill it with? I vaguely recall my mom telling me to always go up a size on the duvet relative to the cover so that it's nice and full and not wimpy looking. Obviously, king is the largest size.

So how do I get my duvet cover all filled up and fluffy? The duvet we purchased is a medium weight, and just doesn't look like it's going to do the trick. I'm so confused. I can't imagine having two of them in there...we would roast!

Thanks in advance!

(I would call my mom and ask, but she is a couple hours earlier than I am, and I don't think she'd appreciate being woken up at such an ungodly hour. )

Do you have a sewing machine? Turn the cover inside out and sew a new seam an inch inside the old seam on the three sides that don't have the opening
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have a king size duvet cover with a king size down comforter inside and it works just fine. It's just a medium weight year-round warmth down comforter. Looks nice and fluffy. I have a few duvet covers and I know that I have one that runs slightly smaller than the others even though it is a king size too. When you're shopping make sure to check the duvet covers and duvet for variances in sizing (should only be very slight though). I've never heard or thought of going up a size on the duvet. I've always matched the size of the duvet to the size of the cover. I imagine it would be kind of bunched up looking otherwise?

We actually kept our 2 queen sized duvets when we upgraded to a king. The bed is a platform, and the look is sort of "Euro feather bed".

Thanks guys... upon further research, the comforter we bought is 88x104, and the cover is 92x108. Think I'm going to return the one we bought and buy the comforter from the same manufacturer so it fits better.

This is all so frustrating, but it will be so much better than being stabbed by elbows all night...