The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1289

Posted by goodpony:

Oh thanks for that---I'll enjoy looking at this now that its rainy/high winds--not much fun for riding with a newly naked pony and the extreme drop in temps
    You might consider getting the good pony a nice wool quarter sheet. Even fifteen minutes in the saddle, on bad weather days, will keep you and your pony working together and will loosen up muscles and get any remaining toxins out of the muscles (more or less).

French or German or whatever, being in the saddle six days a week is mandatory if you want to develop good aids.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    You might consider getting the good pony a nice wool quarter sheet. Even fifteen minutes in the saddle, on bad weather days, will keep you and your pony working together and will loosen up muscles and get any remaining toxins out of the muscles (more or less).

French or German or whatever, being in the saddle six days a week is mandatory if you want to develop good aids.
    Pony pretty much lacks for nothing--has a better wardrobe than I do. We normally ride through it all outdoors all winter---with the occasional break to allow the arena to dry/drain. He only spent one night in the barn due the high winds chilling rain and his present state of utter nakedness---he seemed quite happy for it with the slow feeder.

Couple of notes from my day off-

"The excessive use of these flexions makes the jaw become more supple than the rest of the body. It yields too quickly and too easily, before the rest of the muscular system relaxes, and sometimes even when it does not relax appreciably." from Academic Equitation-Decarpentry

also came across this illustration in the same book that seems most representative of "my soft landing" halt--at least how it feels. Rassembler

and a few other notes I came across regarding the halt and what might be happening--or not

"Over time the halt aid develops as a nuance of the collecting aids. When the horse is uphill and collected in the walk, the seat asks his back feet to stop up underneath him, poised and loaded, ready to proceed in walk, trot, canter or rein back.

"That is why the halt must always remain a forward transition, so the horse is ready and waiting to proceed into the next phase.

Richard Weis
    When the horse is halted, he must sit a little and bend his hind legs to take weight in them. This strengthens the horse’s carrying strength. When the rider then asks him to move forward out of the halt, the horse has to push off with his hind legs, which strengthens the pushing power. The half-halt is just a mini-halt that momentarily checks the forward movement and shifts weight back. The horse is then driven forward to increase the spring in the steps. The rider should always strive to balance the forehand and the hindquarters. This will be discussed more throughly later in this article.
    --Cynthia Hodges, MA
    Last edited by goodpony; Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Pony pretty much lacks for nothing--has a better wardrobe than I do.

I just want to add my experience with Racinet. I had a horse that was having great difficulty with his right lead no matter what I did. After taking him to a clinician (so-called classical, egotistical $$%$$#...jerk.), I took him to a clinic with Racinet. He got on my horse, attempted to canter and said "He cannot", then he got off. He said, "It is not your fault"...which I was amazed any clinician would ever say..anyway, he adjusted him by using the Baucher flexions from head to toe (including "manipulations" of osteopathic origin). Then next day, when I came to the barn to get ready for the continuation of the clinic, I was literally stunned to find that my horse looked completely different. His withers had come up, he was uphill, standing evenly on all four legs...unbelievable. From that day forward, he never missed his lead...no problems period.

Later, I hosted him several times. He spent a great deal of time working with us on those adjustments..stressing the need to release the jaw, and also to enable the horse to bascule correctly, and taught us the "counted walk" amongst other things. He was very tuned into that kind of bodywork in his later years, and I witnessed numerous changes in horses which he worked with.

My own background gravitates to SRS via Mikolka mostly. I grew up in Europe, so I guess I was heavily influenced in that direction and didn't become a Racinet disciple for various reasons, but I fully appreciate his contributions. Over the years, I definitely was a fan of Oliveira...just because, but my heart lies with SRS combined with more modern methods.

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    Then next day, when I came to the barn to get ready for the continuation of the clinic, I was literally stunned to find that my horse looked completely different. His withers had come up, he was uphill, standing evenly on all four legs...unbelievable.
    This is the kind of thing that I also experienced with my own pony with just very little bit of flexions I could learn out of a book and from photos and my own very small amount of knowledge/background. This is a pony that I bred, raised and have owned all of his life so I know him quite well--for me there was no mistaking the unique physical changes I saw--someone else also mentioned her horse noticeably standing more 'square'. Fascinating stuff.

I too have noticed differences since using the flexions. I started after I got the PK book and video in the spring and the changes are amazing.

Amara, what book and video are you referencing, please?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by mayhew View Post
    Well, I don't really want to. But when I relax my hand and ask for an upward he rushes in the same gait that he has been in. With more contact, I get a light, springy upward. What should I do to correct that?
    Hold him with your core (seat) not your hand. If you can time it properly, release your inside rein when he steps forward so he cannot balance on the rein/understands where the door is.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The book is: http://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Truths...=philippe+karl

For mayhew: the horse is either too low/too closed hence on the forehand OR you are changing your seat/arms or etc.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I have "The Art of Riding" and "The School of Legerete" video series. I purchased the videos after borrowing his first series of videos.

A clear one too is "classique contra classic".
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Well, I had my OH video me riding today.

Can't say I'm happy with the result. I had felt the horse has been more under herself, more engaged, more collected, but what I saw on the video today was none of that. Part of it is that I freeze like a deer in headlights when there is any pressure (i.e. a judge or a camera) so I was riding badly. But still, it was just appalling riding; the horse was flat, sprawled out, not engaged, not uphill, and my lower leg was horrendously unstable.

I've had issues with keeping my lower leg down and quiet since I started riding -- the most intransigent bad habit in the world. That habit is still there and it seems as if everything else has gotten worse. Really bummed.

Don't worry about it--I video taped my ride today too. The video shut itself off before we got down to the better part of our ride. I never felt like we quite got ourselves synchronized today--he was being a bit unsteady in the bridle (more so than is normal for him but I suspect it might be his new body clip has caused to bridle need a minor adjustment. Some days we either have 'it' or we don't. We also had quite a few distractions--fence work going on today (Jack Hammer! this time) but somehow pony boy was able to stay mostly focused--so for that I was pleased.

Nothing really exciting to see (or very French School) here but this is us today: https://www.facebook.com/video/video...27376776&saved

I see he is a little cheeky .

I didn't actually ride today. But I did do some ground work.

I just love the response I get with an apple in one hand and longe whip in the other.

I think of it as sort of like lion taming, but different.

I think the words "test" and "camera" have the immediate effect of sucking the life and the knowledge right out of you.

The other day I had a really nice ride on a young mare. My mum, who doesn't get to see me ride very often, said why don't you run through a basic dressage test on her.

It was so awful we were both laughing and crying at the same time. One minute working well, next minute couldn't make a straight line up the centre of the arena, let alone halt and trot on.

As to the camera "adding 10 pounds". Sure and jiggles, wobbles, looking down, bracing, disengaging, stiffening, and just forgetting everything you know.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good Pony, the good news is your pony is a little metronome. THe bad news is he looked a tiny bit off as in lame. THat could be why he wasn't as good.

I am so jealous that y'all have folks around to video. BTW, the best way to get over the camera is to have it around as much as possible. THen you will forget about it.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

yeah I noticed the same thing (getting a little uneven-more going right)--I REALLY didnt feel anything particular but more fussing with his head (but DID notice a spot while I was grooming him where it looked like maybe he had stepped on his heel bulb)-will have a look at it again when I feed). So maybe has a bruise. I stick my flip camera on a jump standard. I think he will live

Ive been trying to video tape my rides maybe once a week--my mental blocks with the camera on have slowly been disappearing.

Yup, I think he'll live too! LOL! I had a horse that could just bump his hair off, no heat, no swelling, nothing and he would fuss until I did something to it!

He is a cutie though! Is Jack for Jack Sparrow?
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

I was not very original in my naming process--usually like to live with them a bit before deciding on something. His sire is an imported Connemara pony named G. Billies Bay (which is an actual body of water in Australia where he is from). His name was going to be Frisco Bay but somehow it became Cracker Jack--or we just call him Jack Jack. He is perfect for me to learn on--lot of challenges to overcome as a rider. Some people think ponies are maybe easier to manage because the are smaller (and thats partly true) but they are also smarter and in many ways less forgiving of rider error (not in the normal since) but in the since that small mistakes are I think more significant than on a larger more powerful horse. That and they have very unique personalities/attitude--Ive learned so much from my little guy.