The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Axl, see if you can find Unchained -- it is Big House's unoaked chard in a box. Very citrusy and light but not as light as a pinot grigio which is too light for me.

I like the Target house brand box shiraz/cab blend. It is a nice, drinkable one with a good mix of body, tannin and fruit.

Yes, the Unchained is the chard I've had from Big House. I think the Black Box is lightly oaked, if I remember correctly, but pretty well-balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkafriend View Post
    The purse idea is adorable, but I can't see my husband coming back with it when it's his turn to buy the box.

We love Silver Birch, too! Other fave is Seven, a red from Spain.
    hahahah what is with men? they can't buy a purse of wine, and they will not buy tampons either.

Dang it, the problem I find with boxed wine, especially the Black Box wine is that there are THREE Bottles of wine in there. It doesnt look like it!

When we were in the grocery store, my SO suggested me buying the black box. $20 for essentially 3 bottles? SCORE! Oh wait, you wont know when youre done with a "bottle."

I dont drink to get drunk, but like to have a few glasses here and there. (Okay fine, I might indulge after a long day and have 4 glasses). Boxes make it harder to gauge what you're drinking. And after 2 or 3 glasses, perception seems to go out the door. I know if i've had a bottle, I need to chug water and head to bed ASAP. That sounds bad.....
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Oh fordtraktor you make me rethink my John Deere allegiance and alicat I know what you mean! but technically I'm saving money anyway right!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Can you repurpose it and put a different bag of wine you like in there?
    you know, now that I think about it, it should be no problem to take the bladder out and put the regular box one on - depending on the spout...

Maybe I need to find a stylish purse at the thrift store and repurpose it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Or one of those cooler bags that look like purses! Wait, if you drink wine out of a box, do you still chill it?
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Or one of those cooler bags that look like purses! Wait, if you drink wine out of a box, do you still chill it?
    drink red...I never chill that.

But yeah, you can still chill it.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I was not impressed with Black Box. And I think it has 4 bottles in it rather than 3. I tried the chard and cab. The cab had some "medical issues" not covered under any health care.

Whoodda thought I would have to do wine box surgery? Well, I am now qualified!

Had to remove all it’s clothes, take out all of it’s guts, do exploratory surgery, fix the hemorrhage (tape), put it all back in the box in it’s original clothes, then test to see if it survived and there were no leaks. It did. Got a glass now. Whew.

Wine box has survived emergency surgery, and it is out of ICU and sitting up on the counter accepting visitors. Me!

Red wine. Black Box. Cabernet. Much better than the chardonnay. Whew.

UPDATE:

I woke up to find the black box cab had hemorrhaged all over the counter top during the night. I had to once again removed it's red wine stained clothing (box) and remove the sutures (scotch tape) and once again locate and fix the injured area. I had to use some medical cloth tape and put two pieces of tape on it to fix it. Currently it is resting on the counter, necked of its clothes. If I get some wine I will have to lift with one hand and push the button to go in the glass with the other hand. As long as it is laying down, there is no loss of life wine. So, on the counter it stays until it is empty, drained of it's life.

I love Bota Boxes the most, have Black Box occasionally and when times are tough we go downhill from there...

My son has made a camping pillow from an empty wine bladder filled with creek water.

And we have guinea pigs that love to live in and chew on cardboard-so they have entire cities constructed out of cardboard wine boxes donated by me and my mother. Whenever she empties a box she gives it to me and says "here's more pig habitat!" LOL!

Yeah we're box wine folk here.

Rmh-Rider--Loved you wine-triage story. So glad the patient survived .

Yes, the 4 bottles in a box makes portion control really hard, but it's fun to have red and white running wine.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    My son has made a camping pillow from an empty wine bladder filled with creek water.
    LOL, I've always said that's why boxed wine is perfect for camping!

Tomorrow night the local headline will read 'local woman kicked out of high school game for carrying a loaded purse'

You guys are such a bad influence on innocent me!