The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    No photos of the individual stallions this year, or are those not posted until the end of the testing? I thought they were posted at the beginning, but was it not until the end last year? My memory is failing me...

Yep, their are pictures. If you hold your cursor over their name on the main page a pop up window comes up with a photo.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    The question re: sample size was valid, but does not change the fact that no matter the sample size or manipulation of the numbers to account for it, the horses that fail do so for a reason. And the few hours of live feed still don't tell the whole story...

What was not okay was the people with no involvement at all deciding the test was invalid and that the horse that failed got screwed, therefore discounting the accomplishments of the horses that actually did do well and succeed in the testing environment.

You aren't going to hurt anyone's feelings by asking questions, but if you are going to ask you should at least take a moment to consider the POV of the person answering... I would send a stallion to the test, but I damn sure wouldn't let him be live streamed while there! (and as far as I've heard from other owners that have actually sent stallions, they don't want it either... )
    OK. Once again. If the sample size is too small a stallion CAN get screwed. I don't think the sample size is an issue this year though, right? Also, people were just voicing OPINIONS. People's opinions can be aggravating but they are part of dealing with people.

I disagree that the results of the horses that succeeded were invalidated by those opinions. Could have been that the scores at the top and bottom were skewed by the small sample size, but doesn't mean that all results were affected. That was my understanding.

I've already written that if normal procedure in Europe is NOT to livestream stallion streaming I can see why the people hosting the test don't want to do it here. It's their choice, obviously.

I can also see why people in the US wished the livestreaming could continue. It's a big country and more difficult to travel and see stallions than in Europe. But it can't. I understand that and I understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Warmbloods View Post
    Yep, their are pictures. If you hold your cursor over their name on the main page a pop up window comes up with a photo.
    Hmm, it's not working for me. I also think it would be nice to have the pedigree information, as well as breeder and owner, listed rather than just the stallions names. Maybe I'm missing something, but on the homepage I pull up it is just an alphabetical list of stallion names.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

SilverCreek, Thank you for sharing the stallion test with us.

Have the test and training judges been named?

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    Hmm, it's not working for me. I also think it would be nice to have the pedigree information, as well as breeder and owner, listed rather than just the stallions names. Maybe I'm missing something, but on the homepage I pull up it is just an alphabetical list of stallion names.
    What browser are you using? Do you have a pop-up blocker turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Warmbloods View Post
    Ah, I see, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    Hi Karina,

When you hold the cursor over the name, a pop up opens with the pedigree and ownership info. Maybe you have a pop-up blocker setting that is preventing this from happening.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    I think some forget that Stallion testing is a service for the stallion owners and then ultimately breeders. It is not a spectator sport. It is an opportunity to test these stallion in an objective manner as possible, for as inexpensively as possible. Remember the alternative is to compete them to the upper levels of sport. We all know how cost prohibitive that is for many. This practice of stallion testing has been used successfully for many many decades. If you don't like it, then don't bring your stallion to the test. It is 100% optional pathway. If I were a stallion owner, and it wasn't available, I would be very upset. Especially if it was ignorant people who have no stake in the process caused it to disappear.

The video streaming didn't benefit the test givers or the stallion owners. Although we expect our NA Stallion testing to be valid, the breeding organizations who approve our stallions are the only ones who need to be convinced. So please carry on Summer and Barbara, you are providing a great service, and we all appreciate the extra lengths you go to include the rest of us.

Tim
    Very well said!
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

Yes, we already have the judge riders and judges. We will be announcing who they are a couple of days before the judging days.

New post on "rideability" in the ST

http://www.nastalliontesting.com/ind...of-rideability

SilverCreek, Thanks again for the education.

Will you include a short Biography of the judge/riders when you announce them?

I have always been in favor of using judge/riders.

The U.K. has a great tradition, in many of their show classes, of having a judge ride each horse.What better way is there to really judge a horse?

What a great service you are providing. I'm sure the stallion owners will be gratefull for the good education their horses are receiving. Looking at the photos of the previous testing, it seems that you have very good riders involved.

I would also have enjoyed watching live, and am sorry that people have made it impossible. I can understand why live or recorded coverage wouldn't be in everyone's best interest though, and am happy to follow along with your blog and photos.
    Last edited by skydy; Sep. 27, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

New posts on the blog! Hard to believe we are already past the halfway point....

http://nastalliontesting.com/index.php/info/blog

I really enjoy the updates - thanks so much for posting.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

I never knew quite how this test was done. The blog has clarified many questions I have had in the past. Thanks Silver Creek for hosting this and thank you to all the stallion owners doing this. This will only help improve the American Stallion Bank!!!!!! Each of the mare owners in America has a checking account....perhaps they will consider dipping into the American pot for semen as opposed to going outside America.....just a musing thought.... ;-)

You're welcome! We really enjoy it. And we appreciate the support of the stallion owners too! We can't do the test without the stallions.

Here's another post!

http://www.nastalliontesting.com/ind...mping-sessions

Love the blog updates. And thanks again for all you do to support stallion owners and breeders in North America!

The showjumping days were a huge success!!!!! Here is the latest blog entry on how to interpret the showjumping scores. Enjoy!

http://www.nastalliontesting.com/index.php/info/blog

Why are the pony stallions not listed on the website with pictures? Am I missing them somewhere?
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

1 members found this post helpful.

Live streaming & sample size are two very different subjects. They have nothing to do with one another.

Speaking for myself, my question about the validity of the scores given to (last year's) rather modest # of entries was never answered to my satisfaction.

I am NOT an expert on statistics and even the "experts" ended up disagreeing, so I am thrilled to see the # of participants grow. The more stallions who participate in the test, the less I am concerned about the bell curve being accurate.

As for live streaming, the one way you can make that fair is if you live streamed the whole thing ALL OF IT for the whole 70 days. Each stallion, all the training, jumping sessions, etc. And I imagine that is a pretty daunting task.

I am just happy to see the test is starting to show some continuity and participants are growing. It's great for American breeders.

Can't wait for one of our homegrown stallions gets sold to Europe as a stallion!

And I was thrilled to see a much more varied selection of pedigree in the boys than what I saw in the AHS lineup...which I think is great.