The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    My favorite "trick" is utilizing the Dollar Store. Dollar General is my favorite. I always hit it up before I go to the regular grocery and pick up everything that I can. Everything is loads cheaper. Also, did you know that you can use coupons there?! It seems like cheating!
    Closeout stores like Big Lots!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My favorite "trick" is utilizing the Dollar Store. Dollar General is my favorite. I always hit it up before I go to the regular grocery and pick up everything that I can. Everything is loads cheaper. Also, did you know that you can use coupons there?! It seems like cheating!
    What could POSSIBLY be healthy at the Dollar Store?

Use one of the many coupon/sale matching sites to find what's going very cheap each week, and stock up on those. It'll take a while before you really notice a difference, but at some point you will have a nice supply of staples like pasta, flour, canned beans, etc., all bought on very deep sale, and then you begin feel the effect of not spending full price for everything. Also, you begin to feel the joy of not having to $(%*$()@* run out to the store again for one last item, which really kills cooking for me.

Experiment with how much meat you need in favorite recipes to make it good. A lot of times the flavor is coming from sources other than the chicken or ground beef in, say, tacos or chili, and the substantional "feel" that meat gives can (for some people, maybe not the real carnivores) be just as good if you substitute beans, rice, etc.

"Healthy" is an ever-changing goal, too. You'd think a low-fat yogurt, for example, would be better than a regular. But considering the extra processing most foods need to go through to become low-fat, or the extra additives to keep them appealing once you remove fat or salt, you may be better off eating smaller amounts of the regular "bad" version.

Fish and vegetables are often fresher when you buy them frozen. Unless you're buying at a farm stand or a dock, freezing locks in freshness better than a cold truck speeding to a grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    What could POSSIBLY be healthy at the Dollar Store?
    You'd be surprised!

I get most of my spices there, canned veggies, soup, bread, cereal, oatmeal. Their dried fruit prices can't be beat, either.

There's plenty of junk food to be found there, but many bargains on healthy staples as well!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

You'd be surprised!

I get most of my spices there, canned veggies, soup, bread, cereal, oatmeal. Their dried fruit prices can't be beat, either.

There's plenty of junk food to be found there, but many bargains on healthy staples as well!

I am sorry but there is NO way...spices, canned veggies, bread, cereal, oatmeal-READ the ingredients.

Honestly I don't mean to be ugly (though I often do ) but I would bet money the ingredient lists on these items would frighten anyone looking for HEALTHY food.

I recently saw some 'cheap' garlic salt-yes---GMO corn is in several forms. What about the sodium content of the canned veggies?

HFCS or some corn variation in the breads and cereals.

I may be wrong-but I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Just remember, there is no real savings in buying in bulk so large that you will not use it all up before it spoils.

No sense in buying large amounts for less, when you don't get to use it all anyway.
    Some food gets freezer burn, don't expect it to be ok after several months.
    Be sensible about what is a real bargain.
    Yup. I buy for 1.5 people. That means, sometimes DD will eat, but most of the time it's just me.

I don't buy in bulk anymore, too much got shoved to the back of the freezer and I'd forget about it. In fact, I think I've got a turkey in there that needs to go into the oven for the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I don't buy in bulk anymore, too much got shoved to the back of the freezer and I'd forget about it. In fact, I think I've got a turkey in there that needs to go into the oven for the dogs.
    Yeah, I'm not organized enough to buy very many things in bulk. Toilet paper and facial tissue, yes, maybe a few dry staples like lentils and rice, but everything else is hard for me to keep track of for very long. Plus our house is quite small, so if I get a little too much stuff, it makes it impossible to find anything at all.

I try to keep a few things on hand in case I get sick, or snowed in, but it's generally not anything terribly healthy. Cans of soup, mostly.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Has anyone read the list of ingredients on canned, bagged or boxed foods?

Seriously-if it comes in a can, bag or box chances are it is NOT healthy.

There ARE some exceptions but very few.

Has anyone read the list of ingredients on canned, bagged or boxed foods?

Seriously-if it comes in a can, bag or box chances are it is NOT healthy.

There ARE some exceptions but very few.
    oh well... salt ain't all bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I am sorry but there is NO way...spices, canned veggies, bread, cereal, oatmeal-READ the ingredients.

Honestly I don't mean to be ugly (though I often do ) but I would bet money the ingredient lists on these items would frighten anyone looking for HEALTHY food.

I recently saw some 'cheap' garlic salt-yes---GMO corn is in several forms. What about the sodium content of the canned veggies?

HFCS or some corn variation in the breads and cereals.

I may be wrong-but I just don't see it.
    I'm going to head to our dollar store tomorrow to see for myself.

I know you can get plain oatmeal, and other staples at ours. I know that the plastic bags & detergent are cheaper at the dollar store.

Some things are cheaper for me to buy there simply because in our town, the only other big box store is WalMart and sometimes (depending on my time and how hungry I am) I will impulse spend at WalMart. Just not enough things to impulse spend at the dollar store!

If it comes in a can or a box, chances are its not tasty either

The other week a friend had the audacity to call me 'healthy' and 'natural' because I don't eat anything I didn't grow, catch or buy fresh but its not the health factor at all I swear!

I wouldn't buy butter in bulk if I cared about health

Health shmealth, fresh food just tastes SO much better.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

[QUOTE=Punkie;6539169]I eat only organic, locally grown/raised/slaughtered fresh food. I buy absolutely nothing prepared, processed, or preserved. No chemicals, no dyes, and no refined sugars or bleached/enriched flours.

OK so I'm close to this, but I do buy preserved foods (e.g. locally fermented kimchee & sauerkraut) .

Good on you for seeking to eat economically and well. Lots of good advice on this thread, including CSAs, home gardens and the like. I live alone and can't possibly eat all of what a csa provides. Thankfully I can buy quantities I need at local farmers markets. But you might check with farms about splitting csa with single person if you find one you like but a third person might help balance cost and quantity. Same advice as to meat: many farmers, ranchers offer whole or half steer, pigs, etc you can buy for a season, or go in with others. Consider a fish csa if available in your area. Backyard chickens are increasingly viable in many neighborhoods, including mine. Eggs to eat and also to sell or barter. Plus free fertilizer!

Don't forget bones, shells, and and scraps. Tremendous flavour and nutrition, too often discarded before they've performed their best! I keep them in freezer bags for stocks and sauces.

First and foremost eating healthy is a priority to me. I raise and store my own veggies. We pick a lot of wild fruits. I buy most (not all) of my meat locally raised by folks I know. My husband is a hunter so there is another source of meat, and that we mostly dress ourselves.

I can, freeze and dry. I will rarely buy anything in a box. I make my own sweets, cookies, cakes, pies. I don't drink soda or any sweetened drinks. I do drink beer however.

I am not perfect. I believe most things in moderation are the key to success.

Years ago when I was having huge back problems, my chiropractor/kinesiologist was also a health coach and helped immensely on eating habits. (I sucked.)

I'm going to head to our dollar store tomorrow to see for myself.

You should! I fear you will be shocked.

I know you can get plain oatmeal, and other staples at ours. I know that the plastic bags & detergent are cheaper at the dollar store.

Boxed plain oatmeal is far from "plain"-read the ingredients...plastic bags and detergent can't play-not food.

Some things are cheaper for me to buy there simply because in our town, the only other big box store is WalMart and sometimes (depending on my time and how hungry I am) I will impulse spend at WalMart. Just not enough things to impulse spend at the dollar store!
    Walmart is not very far up from Dollar Store in terms of health.

THIS is the problem...people just have NO idea what is going in the body.

Once again-can, box or bag...bet you money there is something very wrong inside.

So we have obesity issues and government health care.

Yay.

Why can't our government support healthy foods and sustainable farming...now THERE's a program I can live with!

If something I use alot, esp meat is on sale, I buy extra and freeze it...Same with fresh veggies...buy, blanch and freeze...I grow alot of stuff also..My local store very often has buy one get one free on chicken breasts, pork tenderloin etc. I am very good about using what I freeze and save alot of money that way...I also try to buy things in season..Much cheaper....I take advantage of the store cards to get extra savings. I find preprepared food to be much more expensive when you actually look at what you get for the money...I also use every bit of what I cook..Leftovers, stews, soups, lunches etc. I can stretch a roast chicken into at least 4 meals plus soup. Many of the older cookbooks have great thrifty recipes...People did not have as much disposable income back in the day..They used every last scrap. Some of the recipes have to be modified for modern day health knowledge. But most are easy to swap stuff out. Also, Asian, African, and Middle Eastern cooking is healthy and thrifty. Couscous, rice, beans etc are nutrituous, economical and great tasting meals can be made with leftover veggies, bits of meat and fruit. Fritatas also can stretch leftovers remarkably well..Serve with salad and maybe a whole wheat roll...I also never buy sugared cereals..I eat cheerios, shredded wheat and oatmeal without sugar and add leftover fruit. Cheap and healthy too..Congratulations on wanting to eat healthy, and hope all these tips on this thread have helped you out.

Walmart is not very far up from Dollar Store in terms of health.

THIS is the problem...people just have NO idea what is going in the body.

Once again-can, box or bag...bet you money there is something very wrong inside.

So we have obesity issues and government health care.

Yay.

Why can't our government support healthy foods and sustainable farming...now THERE's a program I can live with!
    I'm not talking about the instant oatmeal, I'm talking about the oats you cook. Ingredients: whole grain oats. That's it. No other added ingredients.

LMH, you are assuming I buy the premade stuff.

I buy chicken breasts, frozen veggies, milk, eggs etc. Ingredients, not boxed stuff.

and plastic bags must count if you freeze ingredients or if you make stock and freeze it....still gotta buy the "things" to put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I eat cheerios, shredded wheat and oatmeal without sugar and add leftover fruit. Cheap and healthy too..
    Um. no.

The second ingredient in Cheerios is modified corn starch.

Shredded Wheat is not much better.

Cheap is NEVER EVER healthy. EVER.

I really am sorry but if advice like Cheerios is being given for a healthy diet it is no wonder our country has an obesity issue.

NO I am not saying *you* are fat but seriously...cereals are crap food. Period.

LMH, you are assuming I buy the premade stuff.

I buy chicken breasts, frozen veggies, milk, eggs etc. Ingredients, not boxed stuff.

and plastic bags must count if you freeze ingredients or if you make stock and freeze it....still gotta buy the "things" to put it in.
    Fair enough-but even so if the chickies are eating corn then we are back at square one...sadly.

Same with eggs, milk, etc.

I am NOT picking on you and you may be doing it 'right'-this is more of a vent about the false information that leads most people to believe they are eating healthy.

I've been to Dollar Stores. Their canned vegetables and oatmeal don't contain anything I find hazardous. If you can't have it if it's in a can, box, or bag how on earth do you get it home from the store, wax paper?
    Quarry Rat